1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Digit Ratio

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jsmith, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Jsmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Ok, so the other day, I was on the internet, looking for ways to tell if a person's gay and I came across this: What the length of your index finger says about you | Mail Online.

So apparently, you can tell if a person's gay by the length of their fingers. Of course, to get an extremely accurate reading, you would have to measure their fingers first but I've come to the following conclusions:
    • If a person's index finger appears significantly longer than their ring finger, they're into men.
    • If a person's index finger appears only slightly longer than their ring finger, they're bisexual.
    • If a person's index finger appears the same length as their ring finger, they're into women.
    • If a person's index finger is shorter than their ring finger, they are into women, extra masculine and if they're male, they're at a higher risk of developing prostate cancer.

So I've tried this out on myself and it works. When I measured my fingers, I found that my digit ratio (that is, the length of my ring finger divided by the length of my index finger) is exactly 1:1. Apparently, women are meant to have higher digit ratios than men and my digit ratio is even greater than that of most women, which confirms what I originally though: I'm gay. Furthermore, when looking at my hand, I have found that my index finger appears significantly longer than my ring finger, which would also indicate that I'm gay.

I'm interested to see if this works on other people. I've tried it on a couple of friends (without them knowing) and it's confirmed what I already thought about them but I still want to know for sure if this really does work. If you're interested, see here for how to measure your digit ratio. Once you've done this, post below with:
    • Your sex, gender and sexual orientation.
    • Your digit ratio.
    • A picture of your hand if possible. Make sure that your hand is flat and that your fingers are slightly separated.

I look forward to seeing what we find. :smilewave

2. StillHere

Male, gay.
    My index finger is about 3.2 inches and my ring finger is 2.9 inches. Is that significantly longer? Don't know.

Can't get a picture, no camera right now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

3. Aussir

Oh dear... the Daily Mail... you had to pic one of the most horrid and sensationalist tabloids in the world? :eusa_doh:

Basically, how much testosterone you're exposed to in the womb, influences your finger ratio and may... let me stress this... MAY... correlate to one's sexuality later in life. It can also correlate to some physical, health and behavior issues. Some even relate it to penis size.

In my case, my index is at least half a knuckle shorter than my ring finger... and in my case, it may be correlated to my sexuality.

Mind you though, the studies have less to do with finger ration than they have to do with what happens when you're exposed to high levels of androgens in the womb.

4. Ohhai

My index finger is the same length as my ring finger :slight_smile:

Oh, this is the daily mail btw. Destroy it.

5. Aussir

In my previous post: pic = pick and ration = ratio.

Seems I can't type properly tonight... I combed my post 3 times and I missed typos... go me... :bang::bang::bang:

I'll supply the mob!
    [​IMG]

6. Jsmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yep, that's significantly longer. Your digit ratio's higher than mine. (3.2/2.9 = 1.103)

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

This digit ratio crap is a myth that doesn't work at all in the real world.

My index finger is about 3 inches long. My ring finger is almost 3 1/2 inches long.

So 3/3.5 would be 0.8571 index-to-ring finger ratio. (My fingers are relatively long for my body size anyway, that's why I've always been told to be a piano player, which I am)

But, despite what your finger ratio hypothesis would suggest, I have no attraction to women. I don't even really notice what girls look like when I walk down the street. I'm into dudes. I obsess over boys, I just love kissing and cuddling and making out with a cute guy. I like sucking dick, and I love guys sticking their dicks into me. So, sorry, but I'm as gay as can be, and thus the finger ratio thing is garbage.:newcolor:

8. Jsmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Just realized I haven't posted my own stuff yet:

Sex: Male, Gender: Male... just, Sexual Orientation: Gay

Digit Ratio: 1 exactly

Hand pic:
    [​IMG]

9. June Cleaver

My index finger is slightly shorter than my ring finger and I am trans. Is that normal? My husband who is super masculine and straight and good at sports and quick to fight has way shorter index fingers to ring fingers nearly half as long. He has real manly hands and mine look like they belong on a woman. June

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is pseudoscience, plain and simple, just like the theory that the direction a man's hair whorl correlated with his sexuality.

11. Ticklish Fish

according to this i should be straight. well, I don't see my dick getting hard to women and my brain thinking women 24/7

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If a person's index finger is shorter than their ring finger, they are into women, extra masculine and if they're male, they're at a higher risk of developing prostate cancer.

Yeah... no. I have a significantly longer third finger, but I'm hardly masculine, certainly not into women, and have no family history of prostate cancer. A lot of myths like this persist, despite being not even remotely scientific.

13. Ridiculous

There has been a lot of research into digit ratio, sex hormones, and as a relation sexual orientation, so to say it is pseudoscience isn't accurate at all. Just because it doesn't work for everyone doesn't mean there isn't a correlation.

Looking at it coarsely it may be an indication of sexual orientation, but looking more intricately it is probably more to do with what you are attracted to within your sexual orientation. i.e. if you are attracted to men but your ring finger is longer, you're attracted to more stereotypically feminine men than stereotypically masculine men. Obviously this will have some overlap with sexual orientation.

#13 Ridiculous, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't think science has even proven that there is a correlation. Take any random sample of people and apply the digit-ratio theory to them and I really doubt there would be any more of a 50-50 chance of each individual conforming to the theory. As resu said, it does seem to be pseudoscience, which is why got picked up and turned into a headline by a tabloid rag like the Daily Mail. :icon_wink

15. Wiiluigi1998

Wiiluigi1998 Guest

It probably is just pseudoscience, because this rule does NOT apply to me. I'm a pretty extreme homosexual, but my fingers tell me I'm masculine.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not convinced because it seems a lot of the published work on this is by the "discoverer" John Manning himself or his colleagues, and unfortunately this theory suffers from circulating in low/middle tier journals that may or may not be reliable. Here are some skeptical papers.

Re-examining the Manning hypothesis: androgen receptor polymorphism and the 2D:4D digit ratio
    http://genepi.qimr.edu.au/contents/p/staff/Loehlin_PerIndDiff2012_224-227.pdf

17. Ridiculous

It's certainly disputed by some, although I would say the studies in both humans and other species show digit ratios do reflect hormone differences in the womb on the whole, and subsequently will correlate with other phenotypes and behaviours (although definitely not as strongly as many would suggest). There have been too many studies done by independent groups to just say it based on nothing; I mean the Wikipedia article alone cites 11 studies where the correlation was found for lesbians - I'd be surprised if more than one of these were done by Manning's colleagues.

18. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

My ring finger is longer than my index finger and I'm gay.

19. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nah it's not applicable to me. My ring finger looked significantly longer than my index finger, and it measures at least half a centimetre longer.

20. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

My ring finger and index finger are the same length and I am Bi. But I'm not sure how much I trust the accuracy of this test.