1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank you.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dfiant, Oct 4, 2013.

1. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have made a couple of great friends here, but 2 recent incidents have lead me to believe that Empty Closets is not the right place for me as certain peoples opinions are considered to be gospel compared to others and there is a level of oppression that I find intolerable.

It seems freedom of speech is very much based in the USA belief of what freedom of speech is, which is very unfortunate because the freedom to discuss conflicting ideas that we may strongly disagree with has been taken away from an individual unless that thoughts process is politically correct and in agreement with those in positions of authority.

I have essentially removed most of my profile but will leave it active so if you wish to stay in contact with me you still have the means.

Peace.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't really understand how this community works. I suggest you educate yourself on the difference between a safe space and a public forum. Empty Closets is a safe space.

I can empathize greatly with your anger about bullying. I suffered it too, and I actually have homicidal thoughts in reference to it on a regular basis. However, neither my pain, nor yours, entitles a person to rebuke someone who is repentant. It is not treason against the queer community to admit fault and to make amends. It is only treason to be gay, closeted, and outwardly heterosexist.

#2 Pret Allez, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate your feed back, and as hinted that was part of a bigger issue.

Guess what, when I click the 'forum' button above, I end up here :wink:

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you've felt the need to leave EC, and I'm sorry if anything I've done or said has contributed to that. Although we don't see eye-to-eye on nearly every issue, I've listened to everything you've said and taken it into account.

I will say though, that because we're still in a society where women and LGBT people are treated like second-class citizens because for some strange reason, society wants everything to be geared towards being a good-looking white male with a lot of money, there are still people who come into EC on a regular basis with that kind of mentality, or some form of it. And we all know here that a good amount of what that mentality says isn't true. Part of EC as a support forum is to educate those who are either clueless or ignorant on this issue, and to actually educate people who are looking here on what the truth of everything is.

But again, if it's something I said or did, I sincerely apologize.

5. Nick07

Hmm, it seems that I have missed it all. Damn time zones :wink: The problem is that the freedom of one person ends where the freedom of the others start. You and me both seems to struggle with the political correctness and we strongly believe that from a heated but fair debate good things can come up and also a lot of food for thoughts. Unfortunately, that's not a welcomed thing at EC. I feel your pain, even though I don't know what debate you were involved in.

6. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not you at all, and your attitude is refreshing and will get you a long way.

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2013 at 06:47 PM ----------

I had spent 20 minute writing a reply to post into the discussion that I was banned from, it was a heart felt apology for the manner I had expressed myself, I could have expressed what I felt in a different manner but the issue at hand always gets me fired up, I am passionate about this one belief and that one belief is that bullying becomes murder and is intolerable.

The apology and a back peddle was massive, but by the time I had written it I had been banned from the thread, so as I attempted to post the apology, the message just completely disappeared.

This to me is wrong and I cannot be a part of anything that I feel is oppressive. It is a terrible shame that we can't have a discussion about what we feel passionate about without being censored due to differing opinions.

I would also like to point out that as heated as it got, there was only one person that was using profanity, I was under the impression that there were younger people here and profanity was frowned upon...perhaps you it is ok to use profanity when in a position of responsibility?

7. Nick07

This x 100. Funny thing is, two minutes ago I wrote exactly the same thought at another board.

8. Countervail

Hi, although I have not converged with you ever since, reading from your posts I can totally relate to the feeling. For me, it is like being pointed a gun at, for having a different opinion on something.

Good day.

9. Ticklish Fish

the thing is, maybe you should have made a new thread discussing bullying instead of going on somebody's thread who was looking for help? It might be a wrong place to post your passionate opinion on somebody's help thread, you know?

i don't know if you would wanted to retype the apology. but you could send it to a mod and they let you post it or something.

10. BudderMC

Let me clarify a few points:

1) The warning I delivered (and further action I took) was not because of your opinion on the matter. It was because you were directing those statements towards another member of EC. As outlined in the Code of Conduct (and quite frankly is common sense if you wish to avoid being offensive in any conversation), you are not to be directing offensive statements to other members. You address the behaviour, not the person. And as I mentioned, the point you were trying to make (while valid) was not appropriate for a member who was looking for support.

There's a time and place for the point you were conveying. That was neither.

2) You are not being censored. I am enforcing the Code of Conduct, which you agreed to abide by when you registered for an account. I've also invited you to discuss with me further, yet you declined. That is not my problem - that is your decision.

3) Despite what you're probably thinking right now, I'm not a mean or unreasonable person. However, when you sit in your position and expect me to let you post what you'd like just because you're "passionate" when you're displaying little respect for the same rules you agreed to follow, I have little tolerance for that behaviour. It is my job to maintain these forums, and I do so not because of the staff title I hold, but because I genuinely value the support this community provides. EC has changed a lot since I've joined (mostly due to population increases), but that doesn't mean the safe and supportive atmosphere of the forums no longer comes first.

All that said, if you wish to actually discuss, you're still welcome to message me. And if you choose to leave, then I wish you the best in whatever may come.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Darn, dfiant:

I really like reading your posts. You've got this unfiltered real world point of view that's refreshing, and from another continent, too.

I hope you post every now and then. Among the numerous threads I've started, one was locked for profiling, and it descended into an argument. I was a little miffed. When you've lived in several big American cities, you've seen various splinter groups or personae within the GLBT community and should feel free to address what you see.

At any rate, I stick around because there are smart and funny people here, and lots to discuss.

Please check in with us!

12. AAASAS

I kind of agree with you,but when it comes to the support threads, sometimes people just need positive support and not a taste of reality.

I think the General Chat threads should be open to varying opinions, but any support thread should be treaded lightly.

One thing to argue against your freedom of speech point is that the Westboro Baptist church wouldn't be allowed in Canada or other countries where hate speech is illegal in public places. This may be infringing on peoples rights to express themselves, but it also stops those people from infringing on innocent homosexuals, family of soldiers and other innocent people's lives. Freedom of speech is held highly in the American eye, but a lot of other DEVELOPED countries don't actually think that you should be able to say whatever.

If what you are saying is going to do more negative than positive than you shouldn't say it at all. My Nana always used to say if you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all.

This is partially true, and you shouldn't value freedom of speech as highly as you do, because with total freedom you are giving people the option to verbally oppress others.
    Freedom of speech is a privilege, and you shouldn't be able to abuse it.

I am not saying to be politically correct, because I have many opinions that go against the grain, but my opinions generally cannot harm another person as I do no say that others should be oppressed....etc. One example is abortion, I don't like how people who are pro-choice treat pro-lifers. I am pro-life, I don't shove my pro-life opinion down other people's throat, but pro-choicers throw the I am a male argument at me to degrade my opinion. It also seems hickish to be pro-life, even though I am not religious at all, am a very open person, I just think once life has been set in place(sperm fertilizing egg) that life HAS BEGUN. And I value human life, so it only makes sense that I sympathize with a person who can't fight for their life, and that I don't value someone who doesn't want a child for financial and social reasons, you got pregnant too bad.

I also don't really think religion should be protected like it is, the only way I would stop being dickish towards religious people is if homophobia was taken out of the religious texts, and if agnostic and athiest people are given the same protection. I should be allowed to go door to door telling people there may not be a god and they are wasting their lives, just like people can come to my door to talk about Jesus.

I also don't like the freedom of free markets, they just accelerate the unnecessary destruction of our earth, and distribute the wealth unfairly.

A lot of my opinions aren't politically correct, and I really don't care, so you aren't the only one of this forum that thinks differently.

But you do have to realize that expressing your opinion may do more harm than good, so freedom of speech isn't really something that should be regarded highly, only freedom of your own opinion. You shouldn't be allowed to say malicious things in public, everyone deserves a peaceful life, and that shouldn't be disturbed because some dickheads want to say "God hates fags" in public. I am glad I live in a country that isn't crazy about ridiculous freedoms that don't exist in nature.

13. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally on this forum I've learned to only talk about LGBT issues which doesn't produce conflict. The problem with some "liberals" which there are a lot of on this site, is that they think that they are morally superior hence "they are right by default". So I just use this place to get answers to what it's like to be gay and what to expect from my "gay lifestyle" in future (couldn't think of a better word).

14. Gen

Gen

It really shouldn't be that difficult. I am a very vocal person when it comes to discussions and can be very stern with the way I relay my opinions; however, I have never had an issue with the moderators and admin on the site. We should all be perfectly apt to voice our opinions without belittling others or result to personal attacks or criticism.

Its not even a guideline of a support site, rather a ideal that we should keep in our minds regardless of where or to whom we are speaking to. You can be brutally honest and realistic without being brutal in the way you present that opinion. Even despite being tactful, you will not open up very many ears if you speak your words with tones of judgement and aggression. I'm not trying to convince anyone to stay; this is just how I feel about this site's overbearing oppression.