1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Date a Gun Owner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by andrew812, Oct 5, 2013.

1. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

I am just wondering if people in the LGBT would consider dating a gun owner. I am not trying to push any political agenda on anybody. I my self am a gun owner. I am just seeing what the LGBT community thought before I get out there in the gay dating scene. Thanks!

2. Seraph

That depends on what kind of person I'm dating with, and also, if that person has a coo-coo personality, I'd better get the gun out of sight. As long as you're using it for good things then I'll totally support owning gun (legally lol).

3. MerBear

nope because, i dont like being touched very much so guns wouldn't help my anxiety
    they would have to put where, i can't see it like, in their car or something

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically (add air quotes) I am a gun owner. My dad did some legal document that says on my 30th birthday I take ownership of an SKS, an AK-47, and the 22 that my great grandfather bought in 1913 because he's convinced that the SKS and AK-47 will be illegal by then. If he does manage to contact me to give me those guns, they're going straight to the pawn shop, especially if they're illegal, because then they're worth more. The 22 might be worth removing the firing pin and hanging on the wall since it's been in my family for so long, but my dad probably won't give it to me since I'll never have a child to will it to. Oh well, I don't really want them anyway.

Personally, I'll never own a gun. I think that if you really need a gun for self-defense, then it's time to move. Now being from a very outdoorsey state, where everybody except my family goes deer hunting in the winter. I'm all for it if you want a gun to go hunting with. Go for it, and be sure to share the meat with someone who likes it.

5. MerBear

6. Harve

I'd certainly question why they or anyone else feels as though they need a gun in the first place.

7. Hexagon

If they use it to hunt, absolutely not. If they want to use it to overthrow the government, I'm cool, even though I tend to come down on the side of violentish revolution without guns. Of course, its irrelevant, since guns aren't really owned here.

#7 Hexagon, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  8. I don't mind dating a gun owner because my parents and my sister owns guns so I'm more or less desensitized.

It really depends on the person. If he has a crazy and unstable personality, then I ought to think twice.

9. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

I own guns for hunting and for personal protection. They are however put up and out of view from people in my house. I know they make people uncomfortable.

10. LILuke

It would depend on the kind of gun(s), why they had it, and their attitude about said gun ownership. Like many other things, it's a lot more complicated than a simple yes or no in one direction or the other.

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If someone owned a gun, there would probably be enough other differences between us that we couldn't make it work. But barring that, I think I could date a gun owner (as long as he doesn't want to go hunting as a date), but I probably couldn't live with one. I have a history of emotional issues severe enough to make me seriously suicidal, and if I'd lived with a gun during those periods of my life--if I'd had that easy of a way of ending it all--I probably would have taken my own life.

The only way I could even consider living with a gun owner would be if he had the gun secured in such a way that I couldn't access and use it. Even then, if he slipped up and accidentally left it unsecured on the wrong day, that could still end really badly. So I think for my own safety, I couldn't live with someone who owns a (working) gun.

Yup.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is the one issue Gaythiest and I will disagree on. I'm currently in the number one city in the US of homicides. It's pretty much a given now, that if I'm still here and not in Minneapolis or LA when I'm 21 (as there's still a chance of that), I'm getting a pistol for self-protection. It may seem that, because of the internships and contacts and networking I have, I may be staying in Chicago as that's still a growing hub for the film industry.

As for the OP, I'm totally fine with it if

A. The person checks all the criteria for being "safe" (Isn't mentally unstable, actually seems to be a caring partner, hasn't cheated on anyone)
    B. The gun is in a spot where both of us can get it, if necessary. That way, both of us have access to it in the case that either of us are endangered by each other or by a third party.

13. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

I would not be telling the truth if I said I was 100% mentally stable though. I was seeing a psychiatrist for a condition called schizoaffective disorder. I am stable though, and if I go manic or into psychosis I will give them up.

14. Hrantou

I own a gun, and my last boyfriend owned a gun. But I dare say we are both responsible with them. It doesn't define who we are. For us, it was for protection. It hardly came up to be honest. I have no problems with it, as long as you know what you're doing.

15. CheesyGoose

I'd be fine with dating a gun owner. Of course I can then get paranoid that someone may randomly appear in our bedroom with that said gun. Or that he may randomly shoot me someday. But otherwise, I'm fine with it.

I should actually be asking whether someone would be alright with dating a guy who really likes blades :T Swords and all that. Some weird fetish I have :U

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A very responsible gun owner, yes.

17. sammy1

If I me a woman and she only uses the guns for hunting purposes I would learn how t hunt and go with her haha but no fucking hand guns! I don't need guns for protection! Just hunting I'm good with :slight_smile:

18. Bolin

My ex inherited a dozen or so (maybe more) guns from a family member, and I was fine with it. He didn't have anger issues, so it wasn't a problem for me. That said, if a guy I'm interested in has bad anger issues or a history of violence, then it's a definite "no."

19. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Yeah, if they're a responsible person. I think it takes a lot of maturity to be a gun owner. Hell, it takes a strong sense of responsibility and maturity to own a lot of things. If a person just has a gun and goes to ranges and that, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I personally don't like hunting, but if she hunted I would even be fine with that. Fine as in I wouldn't judge her or try to force her to stop hunting. The most I would say is I believe in "eat what you kill," so if she's gonna hunt it better be something she plans on eating otherwise you're just out there killing things. That creeps me out. But if she doesn't hunt and just likes to shoot at ranges or inanimate objects, then two thumbs up definitely. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I would hope it became something we could do together even because I actually want to learn how to use several types of weapons, guns and archery being my favorites.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guns are just objects. Yes I'd date a gun owner. However, I'm not sure I'd be up for an apocalypse-lusting maniac just itching to use one. As much as I am for their ownership, they shouldn't be fetishized.