1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US members: Would you date a Republican in a long term relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Oct 5, 2013.

?

Would you date a Republican in a long term relationship?

1. Maybe if they didn't talk about politics much.

18 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. No, I doubt it would work very well.

30 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Maybe so I could try to convert them.

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Would make no difference

34 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, I know these are acrimonious political times, but I was thinking to my self, as a very liberal sort, to whom even Democrats seem too conservative: I could never date a Republican. I'm a very politically minded person, and on about 98% of issues, from social to economic, we just wouldn't have any common ground, and it would feel weird. From gay rights to women's rights to global warming to the environment to abortion rights to freedom of expression to taxing the 1%, there would be a huge gulf in our world-views.

So far, I've had three boyfriends in my life, and not one Republican...I think I would go crazy! My partner and I are both very liberal, and we don't agree on everything, but I think I'd go nuts, if I came home to a tea-party guy, in those tights and a powdered wig, going on about how Obama is the devil, and all.

#1 HuskyPup, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. No. I wouldn't be friends with them, either. Same goes for any Obama supporter. I will not associate with those who support the people about to destroy the entire global economic system.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did not just go there.

I guess that if liberal commentator James Carville and Republican strategist Mary Matalin can make their marriage work, I guess we could.

On a serious note, if that did happen, there would have to be a prenuptial agreement that we will never, ever, EVER, EVER talk politics.

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do have a few Republican friends, though. But they're pretty rare in Baltimore! We just try to avoid politics when we hangout, and it works out OK. But I don't think I could spend the rest of my life with 'em.

I did! =p

I saw the gun-dating thread, and it seemed like an extension of it, so I said, well, these are very divided political times, let's see what folks have to say anyway.

Carville also has tons of money, so I imagine they have more alone time, and a big house where they aren't on top of each other all the time. It might be harder if they lived in a small apartment, and worked fast food!

#4 HuskyPup, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  5. Oh, yes I did. The Republicans refuse to let anything happen if everything doesn't go their way, and Obama doesn't have the leadership skill to deal with them, and only recently found the courage to stand up for his beliefs. Neither should be in any sort of governing role.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, and I agree with you, but with all the tension the politics have created on this forum, I found that question to be a bit, well, what's the word for trying to stir the pot, so to speak?

7. Only if he didn't give a care about politics. Also, I'm extremely opinionated and almost never to speak my mind so it wouldn't last so long.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering I am a registered Republican and lean slightly Republican, of course.

9. Sarcastic Luck

If he kept his mouth shut about politics, yes. I was close friends with a conservative republican and it got to the point that I wanted to choke him for his backwards opinions.

You know the whole "Gay people are going to take away the right for me to walk down the sidewalk holding my girlfriend's hand" shit.

10. Wiiluigi1998

Wiiluigi1998 Guest

I'm pretty much bi-politic, it's pretty complicated when it comes to explaining that, so I wouldn't mind either.

11. biggayguy

I'm a recovering republican and still hold many conservative views. It wouldn't be a problem for me to date a republican. However, if they were hard-headed about certain issues it could be a problem.

12. ryanalexander61

ditto, so I wouldn't care.

13. June Cleaver

+1 THANK YOU!!!!! June

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I should start a rehab center for this =p

Also for recovering Catholics, and other such transitions...

15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Maybe, but he'd have to be socially liberally. I'm a staunch feminist, pro-choice, social justice advocate, etc., so I could absolutely not make it work with someone who's socially conservative. I've cut a good number of people out of my life for exactly that reason. So someone who's fiscally conservative but socially liberal, that might work out. I doubt it, but it might.

That said, I do take issue with the fact that this poll was written under the assumption that everyone answering would be liberal, as none of the choices are written from the perspective of a Republican.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a foreigner, but I'm going to chip in. Even in my country, I wouldn't date a Liberal/National (they're the conservatives, but not nearly as bad as yours in America), but to date a Republican would basically be going against all common sense. Economically insane for the most part, socially backward (upper-class straight white men only attitude), and anyone who votes for them is either a) of so much wealth that I'd be turned off, or b) indoctrinated/stupid enough to vote against their own interests.

17. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because I do generally hold fiscally conservative ideals, this would be no problem for me. It would then be a safe guess that if they were gay that they wouldn't be a steaming social conservative (and if they were, I would get along just fine with that).

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry about that. It did occur to me, but then I thought I'd word it this way because the leading group opposing gay/LGBT rights are Republicans. So I had to wonder...though LGBT Republicans exist, could you have a relationship with one, and be sane?

I thought of wording it 'different political party', but that sounded too vague, as I wanted to focus on just the main two that have real power. So I figured I'd word it like this, given recent events in LGBT rights, and the partisan nature it takes.

And I am a bit mischevious.

19. Tim

Tim

Provided they would never talk about politics in front of me (and I would do the same), then yes.

Otherwise, political debate never really ends well.

I feel like this thread would be better as "Would you date someone of a different political view?"

20. Techno Kid

Just wondering you said feminist then pro-lifer. Was that just a typo? They don't seem to go together to me so that's why I'm confused, but if you are I'm sure you have your reasons and I won't judge. :slight_smile: