1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-cigs in school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by josh9623, Oct 5, 2013.

1. josh9623

Has anyone else noticed this? there are a few people at my school who go around the halls smoking e-cigs and one kid actually smokes during class! this combined with the fact that the district recently changed the "Drug free school" signs to "tobacco free campus" signs makes me wonder what exactly is going on

PS: the kids who would smoke in the bathrooms, weren't smoking tobacco

2. Foxface

I really honestly don't know how i feel about the e-cig culture. I guess from what I read (and this is QUITE the uneducated response...feel free to correct me) that e-cigs are quite a bit safer and lack that nasty smell of smoke on your clothes. But something has always bothered me about it. It just feels like a great invention to get into nicotine which mind you is legal and I see no reason to make it illegal...I don't know...very much on the fence with e-cigs

Foxface

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    E-cigarettes are simply the latest innovation to deliver what in any other circumstance would be a strongly controlled prescription drug without a prescription. Nicotine, according to studies, is more addictive than heroin. Were it not for the tobacco lobby, cigarettes would have been made a controlled substance decades ago.

Of course, they make "non-nicotine" cartridges for e-cigs, but my understanding is most people aren't interested in those, because they're after the (addictive) "lift" you get from the nicotine.

My limited understanding matches Foxface's; they're less toxic in that they don't have the tar and other chemicals that cigarettes have, but they are no less addictive and in that way, no less harmful. A terrible idea, and a particularly terrible idea that kids are getting their hands on them, as we're just raising another generation of addicts to a different variation on the same crap.

4. 461 467

If minors want to smoke, or take any other substances, that's their business, but they should never do it in public. That's just plain stupid.

5. Beware Of You

They still contain carcinogens and the like.

They just lack the tar etc. you actually get a stronger nicotine dose from them.

In the EU they are planning on legislating on them alot stronger, like health warnings, getting rid of "E Health Cigarette" branding (no joke) etc.

6. kem

kem

I have an e-cigarette. I use it because I like the vaping and I like the occasional nicotine rush. I don't think it's healthy, but neither is smoking or fast food or a myriad of other things.
    I'm not into young kids using them, though. My 14-year-old brother decided to get one because they're popular among his friends, and I don't like it at all. nor do I like it that it's marketed as a healthier option, one shouldn't use it often enough for its healthiness to matter. Like sweets or shitty food...
    Mind you, I've really started to use my e-cig less once I started school. It's ugly as hell so I don't like using it in public, nor do I use it at home. I used to vape liquids with 1.8% nicotine without feeling any effect, but now I can't use it for 5 minutes.