1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's so wrong with drag?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FlameKing58, Oct 6, 2013.

1. FlameKing58

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my experience, I've seen and heard most people not understanding why drag queens (not kings) dress up as girls or that drag queens have a really negative effect on the way people have viewed gay culture and people disliking them for that.

But, I really don't see anything wrong with it...seeing as they do it for entertainment purposes mostly. So I'd like to know whatever you think about the queens, be it curious, bad, or good.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender policing. Men doing feminine things is bad, as women are weak, and no man must ever lower himself to a woman's level. It doesn't matter for what purpose someone dresses in traditionally opposite-sex clothing; there's no sense in enforcing a gender role.

I find most traditionally feminine clothes pointless and also suspiciously difficult to move in, and think most traditionally feminine things are deliberate attempts to force women into subservient positions. But anyone who willingly wears traditionally feminine clothes, regardless of sex or gender, should be able to do so without ridicule.

Gender policing is a common thing, and the hatred of cross-dressers (particularly men wearing "women's clothing") comes from a hatred of women and femininity.

3. Seraph

Perhaps because it's still not very common in society, just like how people reacted to "homosexuality" in the past, I mean people don't usually see that unless you're living around drag queen community then you might find it normal.
    Personally, I find drag queens very friendly, I don't know how to describe it but whenever I see them I just have this warm feeling and think them as a close friend or even a family member because of the way they socialize :slight_smile:.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IDK, around here, drag is just an entertaining thing people do for others. Cross-dressing by transgenders for the sake of passing, I'm not sure about. But it may be because they're doing a really good job lol.

5. Hrantou

Hey! Drag queens can make some good money if they do it right :wink:

I like them. I don't get why some people just hate on them. I even considered doing it for a while but since I won't live in a good town for it until years from now, if ever, I probably won't. To me its just another form of entertainment, like an actor or a singer.

Halleloo! (cookie if you get it :grin:)

6. Hexagon

If you're asking whats wrong with drag, nothing. If you're asking why people think it's wrong, sexism.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Uh, there's nothing wrong with drag, it's fun to do drag and it's fun to watch drag queens too.

LOL, that's silly, go over to the girls section in any store and you'll find way better choices of colours and designs, so what if it's tight, that's a perk, you gotta body you want to show it off. I don't know why anyone would voluntarily choose to stick to only boys clothing.

Plus historically speaking, men wore clothing that was just as tight and overly elaborate as women did, powdered wigs and all that, look at Louis XIV. It's only in the 20th century that this divergence began where men were expected to dress plainly. So I don't know if this theory that feminine clothing was designed to make women subservient really holds up, what we consider "feminine" clothing only became "feminine" relatively recently in history, men were just as dolled up for most of history.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Drag is interesting to see for the extent of work the person has gone through to make it a good rendition, or a bad one.

Drag, as in watching a show, would bore me, so I wouldn't patronize one. But then, I would not watch a show from "Thunder from Down Under" exotic dancers, or anything similar, either.

9. ScatteredEarth

You should visit the penthouse.. Pretty sure nobody really cares about it around here.. and according to someone else it seems like Florida is pretty tolerant of it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. DrkRayne

Men view it as an attack on masculinity. Patriarchal society, therefor men/masculine=power.
    Women in general have very little issue with drag queen unless they are religious. Men do. Why? Because its an attack on masculinity and they seen drag queens as men giving up their power as men.
    Its kind of like how women can wear pants, but men don't wear dresses in everyday life.
    Its a power thing.
    I personally have no problem with drag queens, they are so fun!

11. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Yeah, I agree with what some others here have already said. Any man who wears women's clothing is seen as emasculated by other men, (and some women too! *gasp*)

Women are viewed as weak, or subservient and so a man dressing as a woman is somehow proclaiming himself as weak. Which, even if that was the case, who cares? Right? There is nothing wrong with being weak.

I know my dad reacted badly to me when he caught me putting on my mom's makeup as a kid. He viewed a man wearing makeup as being gay and he viewed being gay as being "unnatural".

As a crossdresser myself I have no problem with a guy wearing women's clothing. I wish I could wear what I wanted all the time without being looked down on. Being in the closet like that has definitely had an impact on my sense of self and well being.

12. Bear101

I'll just give you my take on it. First, if a person is trans, I have NO problem with it at all.

I'm going to try to say the next part without putting my foot in my mouth, so if I do, please forgive me.

Where I struggle with drag queens is that a lot of people are laughing at the drag queen and it doesn't seem to be in a very nice manner. It seems like people are looking down on the drag queen because of the absurdity/ridiculousness of it. It's like they're putting the drag queen down. And that I struggle with. I also get annoyed when you have obviously straight men wearing drag just to make people laugh (i.e. football team members, etc). I don't know why this bothers me, but it does.

However, I've also seen some great drag queens at a couple of gay events and it was very, very inclusive and kind of "we're ALL just a bit off here" and pointing out the absurdities within ourselves. That I enjoyed.

Yea, I'm kind of strange in my thinking, I know. My apologies if I offended someone.

13. leer

I find some drag acts quite sexy at times. dont have a problem with guy`s who like to dress up .

14. Just Jess

I don't think you did. It's a big thing in trans circles in the MtF direction, how hard it is to go out as ourselves when drag is a big joke. Really puts a lot of passing pressure on us.

Personally it doesn't bother me as much. Humor's an ice breaker for me, and I can play with the joke even if it's at my expense. I'm the kind of person who would take a bow after dropping a bunch of dishes at a restaurant and I'd the be the first to scream "job opening". It annoys some people that I don't take a lot of things very seriously, but I've found a lot of those people are the ones that would take the opportunity to take a dump on someone else's petals anyway.

But I think it does create a stupid, unnecessary barrier for a lot of us that just want to be us every day without the exhaustion. And I agree with everyone else, the humor comes from plain sexism and the way men and women are viewed.

And really it pushes us to color inside the lines more. The message is pretty clear, you either look like a hollywood starlet, or you present masculine, and the middle is off limits in polite company. And if you're a transitioner, it should be the legendary over-the-weekend transition, where you leave work and come back a bombshell, except you also have to figure out how to do it gradually enough that people have time to come to terms with the new you.

So yeah I could totally get, even if I were male identified and never wanted to do drag, how much it would suck having that pressure to not even think about being in any way feminine without being the object of ridicule.

15. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

I find men in drag fascinating. I was born a girl and always kind of resented the fact that because of those girly bits, I could never be a drag queen.

As a matter of fact, at one point in my life, I had people telling me that I looked like Celine Dion so often (almost every other day) that I started seriously considering how I could become a female impersonator! Unfortunately the logistics just got way too confusing, so I gave up the idea to stay home and raise my kids instead.

16. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

This makes me think of how androgyny is just as unacceptable as being feminine for a guy. It's odd how any deviation from masculinity is viewed as not normal by many people.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I love the Drag Queens.

I love the idea of being able to create a persona that so completely undermines "normalcy". They're the Chassidim of Gaydom, the ones who are willing to go to extremes in dress and manner to, in a sense, represent all of us misfits and square pegs in round holes. To be clear, not that I identify with them directly, just that I admire their desire to be themselves through the "white lie" of artifice and flamboyance.

It's important to remember also that the Stonewall riots were sparked when one of the drag queens was being dragged away by the cops and one of them cried out to the spectators something like: isn't anyone going to help?

18. I'm not a fan a drag, because I think most drag acts are rather sexist themselves. More often than not, they make fun of women.

19. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Iv not got a problem with Drags, I think they can be hilarious. I remember going to see a show several years ago and he was hilarious, I would definitely see the show again.

20. TheMightyBoosh

I think drag queen's are brave in doing what they do, cause not everyone accepts them or feels the same way I do. I look up to many drag queens and admire them. Guess It's like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it and I love Marmite. :grin:

My parents both do not take well to drag queens or trans Mtf's, they just see it as a joke and even the other day there was a Tv show on about tattoo's and there was a trans woman getting a tattoo and explaining her story and how she came out and stuff and my dad even said "Is this serious" so yeah, I guess this is why

---------- Post added 7th Oct 2013 at 10:36 AM ----------

^^ oops i pressed enter!! damn it

anyway I guess this is why I am feel the way I do, and my parents don't help at all, they are very homophobic/transphobic people :/