1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is the best place to meet guys? I'm recovering alcoholic.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by andrew812, Oct 8, 2013.

1. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

Where is the best place to meet guys? I'm recovering alcoholic, and the only place to meet single gay guys is at a gay bar.

2. biggayguy

MCC Church or PFLAG. You could also take a class at a community college. I got involved with the gay-straight alliance at college. That really helped me have more gay friends.

3. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

There is a gay AA meeting, but I can't do AA. I don't believe in giving myself up to a higher power thing. By the way, what is PFLAG?

4. Techno Kid

Think about what you like to do and try there. :slight_smile: Most cities have pride groups as well.

PFLAG is Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays

#4 Techno Kid, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  5. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

The problem is that I live in the boondocks, and my hobbies are hunting and fishing. Not the best combination to find gay people. But, a college town is near by. There might be LGBT groups there. I don't know what college kids think about a 28 year old guy hanging around though, they might think I am a creep.lol

6. Techno Kid

Yeah try there! :slight_smile: If there is one at the college town, try to get to know the people in the group first. After that then maybe something more will develop after awhile. ^_^

7. BicycleEarings

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You could go to a park or public place, and if you are naturally social, just approach anyone and start conversation!

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a thought on AA, from a friend who is deeply involved in 12 step work:

If you are uncomfortable with the notion of "god" or "a higher power" as the Big Book refers to it, substitute "The Truth." It really works... you give yourself up to The Truth... you let The Truth restore you to wholeness... etc.

There are actually a lot of non-spiritual AA meetings, and even those that aren't should respect your view of using The Truth, as the AA Big Book specifically makes clear it isn't a Christian higher power... and honestly, for you, AA might be the best possible way to find people who are gay and sober... as in many parts of the midwest, alcohol and drug use are so ingrained into gay culture, particularly among people in their 20s and 30s... it can be hard to find someone who will support your sobriety and be gay and be reasonably together.

I also recommend sites like Meetup, which often have gay bookclubs, hiking groups, pot luck groups, game nights, and the like. And even if you are 28... that isn't so far out of range that you would be out of place at a college setting, particularly if there are grad students at the college.

Hope that helps!

9. Jasonincloset

Out Status:
    Family only
    I wish I can join the pride club in my school lol. Unfortunately I'm still in closet. And damn, guys in the club are all so hot, making it so intimidating to join the 'attractive person club'. Lol

10. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

Thanks for the advice Chip.