1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can nobody hold a conversation anymore?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tym Misery, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

We've become rather Indifferent haven't we, Texting, Tumblr, Twitter, Social Media; people checking their damn phones every five seconds well sitting with somebody they could be talking to or people texting to people they are sitting next to. It's all kinda Utterly Pathetic, I live in a small town in Upstate New York in which the closes LGBT Club is a Two Hour Drive from here; which I can't drive. I'm sure as hell not going Bar hopping, I'm Straightedge it would be rather pointless wouldn't it. Online dating is tripe, Forums lead nowhere; yet it is my fault for not getting out of the house? To do what, visit Super Wal-Mart; get a job I'll gripe about and hate as it slowly sucks my life away for money I absolutely don't need? You know who I am, I'm somebody who doesn't understand how the "Real World" works; which is mind shattering since I didn't understand how society worked in school and now I'm twenty-one. Goody, now I keep growing older till I die in this Mundane existence; I message an old crush who lives miles away from me in New York City and has a boyfriend who has stated he's always looking for new friends...big deal, one more friend who is nowhere near me who I'll never hang with. Can somebody explain all this to me, I've been baffled for four years; should I go to college for more education so I can rank up even more debt for a job position that might not exist? Riddle me This, What's The Point; I've been asking since I was around sixteen and nothing has changed. :help:

:thewave:

2. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

No, absolutely do not go to college. Unless someone is paying for you as a gift, or you already have the money saved up and you don't need it for anything else. College is a HUGE waste of time. Way too many people go to college now, and thus have diluted the value of a college education.

3. turtle duck

Well hell:slight_smile:..... I've been thinking about this all day and am so tempted to just quit everthing to travel, away from my responsabilities, possible career prospects and family all expecting me to behave a certain way. Unfortunatly i can't explain the messed up workings of our society or this odd inability to casually converse which i myself even struggle with. All i can say is follow your inner most desires and dont let the mundain shit buttF*** your soul. Study is a major conflict for me too, i would love to further my education but lack the funds. Sojust keep plugging on until some good karma comes your way and be open to the opportunities that arise. I hope this helpes. :wink: peace

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first thing I can give you advice on is a job: Find a hobby, find something you actually like doing, and make a career of it. And yes, go to college to get better at it. You might find some tutorials online on how to make or bake certain things if you like cooking, but you probably won't find the reasons WHY you do those kinds of things like you would in college.

As for the college experience itself, it's whatever you take from it. Whatever you put in is whatever you get out of it, plain and simple. If you strive to learn more about your major further than what college will get you, then you'll end up doing just that, and you'll get better. People tend to think that "college = smart = job" automatically, which is never the case. If you contribute, if you actually take the reasons why you do what you do and apply them to your work, your work will be infinitely better than if you didn't know them in the first place. If you want a career, find something you like to do and make it your career. That way, you'll have motivation to do what you do, you'll go to college for it and learn much more about it, and you'll strive to do better than what you are right now, which is truly the ticket to getting a job. Employers want to see someone who says "I want to do better". That tells the employer "I want to help put higher quality work in this company". What company doesn't want that?

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you: too many go to college without of clear idea of why. Add to that the commoditization of knowledge work, and a changing economy, well the challenges are there.

If you want a job that is cognitively challenging, tangible, and without bullshit, try being a mechanic or electrician or plumber, or even a dentist. These things can't be outsourced to somewhere cheaper, you gotta be there....

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, someone texted us (since my boyfriend still has trouble reading, I have to do it for him even if it´s on his phone) a few days ago and we only knew about it when my boyfriend Skyped with him much later that day or we might have noticed days later.
    Just saying. We are 18 and 20.
    We don´t use any apps.
    I had Facebook for about a month, checked once or twice a day.
    My boyfriend wants to check his before we go to bed and when he gets up. Same goes for Twitter. (Haven´t done anything with my account for ages).
    We are certainly not socialmedia addicts.
    I´m sure it has everything to do with my parents, my town (bad reception also, to be honest) and the fact that I love my job and my boyfriend.

We still go out in groups of friends or as a family or as a couple and talk to eachother, but yeah, when I look around me there are a lot of people, even the very young in strollers, with there faces glued to some screen.
    I often wonder what kind of people, parents, friends and *shiver* politicians they will become.

7. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends what course and which college/university. To get a good job you need a good degree.

8. Sarcastic Luck

Because I'd rather keep my nose to the phone than deal with the idiocy around me. I'd rather talk to a friend on the other side of the country about something interesting than listen to the woman next to me drivel on about how she's using some guy to get free coffee.

Only if you choose a degree path that everyone else does. I.e liberal arts. There's a number of career paths that won't hire someone without college education. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that you want the nurse that's administering your IV to know what they're doing...Which requires a college education.

9. Hrantou

I agree that people are getting too attached to their phones and tablets and what not. But I think it was naturally going to happen as society advances over the decades. I grew up in the early 90s where it was the gap in between old phones and hardly no social media and now its everywhere. It all started with myspace :lol: My younger cousins LOVE that stuff though. I don't get it. I guess I'm just out of touch.

As for college, I agree with you. I look around at my friends who raced through school and graduated and all it really left them was a mountain of debt and no job. I myself can be seen at a "just starting college" level but its hard to be motivated when you look around and your friends have thousands of debt and are forced to work at Wal-Mart because nobody is hiring for whatever they studied. I could do that without the thousands in debt, and then when you look at possible careers to study, a lot of them just aren't as productive in this day and age.

People don't get my attitude when I tell them that I'm fine working a smaller job and living at a low-income. They tell me I can do so much more, and I agree! I can do so much more than working a gas station, but is it really worth it in 2013? Eh...

My 2 cents. :slight_smile: