1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got in a Car Accident the Evening

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BreannaToBrian, Oct 9, 2013.

1. BreannaToBrian

Obviously my injuries aren't serious enough to keep me hospitalized but the experience of being in it is still lingering. I've got a nice....egg above my eyebrow. I feel like a horn is growing from my head; I'm officially a unicorn, my lgbt friends. :rolleyes: Anyway I'll explain the situation. My mother was driving while I sat in the back on the driver's side (I don't like sitting in the front.) and a truck in front of us made a last minute turn. Catching this, my mom slowed down. Out of the blue, I hear a loud clash from behind and my body is slammed back into my seat. I felt my neck shape against the head rest before I'm whipped forward, then back again. In barely 2 seconds it was over and me and my mom were left in shock and that what-the-hell-just-happened? kind of feeling. I looked infront of me were mom's seat had fallen back, it was a moment before the ache forming in my forehead told me I had slammed my head against it when I fell forward during whiplash. I seriously didn't feel any of it. It's amazing that when it happens that fast, that when your head hits something solid, you can't feel any pain.
    My head and neck was the only parts hurt from the accident but thank God I didn't receive any brain damage or a broken neck. That was a thought that came to my mind during that impact when I felt my neck wrap around my head rest. I noticed how vulnerable it was to snapping during whiplash. But, what do you do? You don't have enough time to protect yourself. I'm just glad it didn't. Anyway, I looked over at mom and asked her if she was okay or if she'd broken anything. She didn't break any bones but she was certainly more battered up than I was. She suffered from whiplash and pulled muscles from tensing up during impact.
    A moment later a bleach blonde teenager jogged up to her window (the driver of the car who hit us.) "Are you okay ma'am?" She asked. She wasn't alone, her dad was with her. I noticed another woman standing in the middle of the road flagging other cars to slow down but I don't know if she was a passenger in that car or not. It's crazy though, everyone in the car that hit our van was completely unscathed while we were battered up. I don't understand car accident logic. Later, I got mom's side of what could have happened because, I didn't know a damn thing. One moment I listening to music, the other, I feel myself being tossed like a ragdoll. What I got, was the area we were driving in is notorious for having bat-crazy teenaged drivers who thought they are indescructable. My sister in law lived in that area and nearly got hit from a young driver cutting infront of another car. And, that's what had happened, because my mom said that that sports car was not behind us going down the lane. She must have cut infront of the vehicle behind us right when we slowed down and didn't pay attention. The teen had just gotten her driver license too. :dry:

So let me just finish this off with, if I ever meet you in life and your driving me somewhere, if I see your not paying 100% on the road.... I'm going to wring your neck. I'm going to wring your neck then wear the most retarded, embarresing helmet that I can find and put it on every time I ride with you. When they say 'keep your eyes on the road' they frickin' mean it! I'm in a bad mood because of the accident but I'm thankful it didn't turn out as bad as it could have and that my mother and I are home safely.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad to hear that you and the other people in the car with you are ok. Car wrecks are not fun to deal with at all. I was in one where I was at a complete stop and was rear ended at 45 MPH. You're lucky that you didn't get injured too badly.

I've been in 2 wrecks.. both happened in the same way. I was stopped for over 5 minutes and a person behind me did not stop.. the second wreck was the worst one, it totaled my car and gave me a stress fracture in my neck.

Things like this do serve as a good reminder to keep your eyes (and thoughts) on the road. They guy that hit me (in the second wreck) was talking to his kid in the backseat. It's something that is not just a teenager problem sadly. I don't get how people are just like "oh, I'm going x speed, let me do something else while I have to control this car"...

3. srslywtf

glad you're OK! Hope everyone was wearing seatbelts.. they are so so important.

Honestly the only way I learnt to pay attention was by running into the back of someone. It wasn't hard, nobody was injured.. It really is surprising how long it takes you to react & come to a stop though - one thing I think they should do with learner drivers is have them hit the brakes so they understand how far they actually have to stop, how to cope with a lockup, etc... I had no idea until I found out the hard way... I mean, they will tell you 100 times.. but you need to see that kind of thing in action to really get it into your head, and feel it yourself.

#3 srslywtf, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm glad you're alright, but you were unlucky enough to have a firsthand demonstration of the fact that some people make horrible driving decisions. Until Google takes over the roads with self-driving cars, it'll continue to happen.

5. Data

Data Guest

I've been in 3 car accidents now and I'm 19.

The first, a 73 year old man cut across 3 lanes of traffic and merged into my car. The angle was quite acute, but both cars were messed up. Totalled my 190e but I bought it back and had it repaired. Nobody was hurt and he was cited for failing to yield to me.

The second, I was the back of a 3 car pile up. The first car stopped in the middle of the intersection at a yellow light. 2nd car thought he would keep going and ended up hitting him. I thought EVERYONE had enough time to get through and BARELY hit the middle car. The first car actually got out, saw the 2 of us and drove away with a burnout. :frowning2: That left the two of us, and it was my fault.

The third, I was on my motorcycle going down a very quiet road at 10:30pm. As I drove, a truck merged into the center left turning lane and cut me off with a left turn. Since he turned RIGHT in front of me, I had no time to react. I hit him at 40 mph and broke my left ankle, tibia, distal femur, and dislocated my right shoulder. I ruptured my spleen and bit a piece off my tongue. I had a mild concussion but my helmet saved my head from injury. I had about 6 square inches of road rash on my right leg. The driver of the pickup then floored it, pushed my bike (stuck under the truck) down the road, and once it got unstuck he poured a gas can over it and set it ablaze. I had my surgery the next day and took several months to heal and do physical therapy.

The BIGGEST piece of advice I can give you is to please get a total checkup of your head and spine (top to bottom) if you can. Sometimes injuries from car accidents don't show up until you wake up the next morning. I woke up in the trauma bay after they set my shattered femur temporarily and I coughed up a ton of blood. That made them worried because I didn't present with internal bleeding symptoms. They checked me out some more and said I was fine, but it's a good example of how something might be missed at the initial exam.

Car accidents are very scary. I have "PTSD" and I really don't like driving if I can help it. I don't like calling it PTSD because that's reserved for soldiers in my mind.

I hope you had your headrest adjusted properly. You need it to come up to your ears at LEAST. You don't really want to be tense at impact, and the seat, seat belt, headrest, and airbag are put in place to restrain your limp body. Tensing can cause more damage (as you see your mum is more banged up then you).

I really hope your neck is ok after you wake up tomorrow. I'm really sorry this happened to you.

#5 Data, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  6. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, first off, I'm glad you and everyone that was involved are okay.

I've only been in one car accident, I was in the front passenger seat while my brother was driving. We we eating(protip: never eat and drive) and he wasn't paying attention. The car veered off the road and before brother could turned it back, we hit the end of this tiny concrete bridge at around 47mph. We both were instantly knocked out, the last thing I remember was looking at the burger I was eating and than boom, total darkness. I came to by my brother shaking me and it took a few seconds to take it all in. After a few moments of collecting ourselves, we tried opening our doors, but they wouldn't open. This is when I started freaking out because I'm slightly claustrophobic. I then noticed a women trying to open my door, but she couldn't. She then ran around to my brother's side and she manage to open it. My brother got out, and before I could blink, Wonder Woman here grabbed my arm and pulled me out with hardly any trouble.

Once we were out, the pain finally hit me and I just laid on the ground until the paramedics got there. I ended up with bruised ribs and a slightly bruised lung, a sprained wrist, whiplash and a concussion. My brother had some minor abrasions and whiplash. Our injuries weren't too serious and I have our seat belts to thank for that, we both probably would of been launched through the windshield if we weren't wearing them. I'll you tell, I felt like total crap the next day, but it wasn't the worst of it.

The wreck messed me up mentally to where I can't even drive. Whenever I try to get behind the wheel, I just start having flashbacks to it and it causes me to have a panic attack. It's stupid and I don't understand why, because I wasn't even driving and I can ride in a car perfectly find. It's just really dumb and hate it.

#6 Absol, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. monotone

If it makes you feel any better, I'm too scared even to start learning driving.

8. Jasonincloset

Out Status:
    Family only
    Oh, sorry for ur story. But somehow the way you put it makes me wanna laugh.

Hope you will be better soon, and don't develop any driving phobia thing.

I once got hit by a sedan when I'm riding my bike to school. Stayed in hospital for two months:/ lucky you

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only been in a minor car accident, where as we're driving along, some guy just decided to pull put of a parking lot and the front passenger side-where I was sitting. I was fine, and the airbag didn't even go off.

Last fall, I was driving home from Detroit and I had just gotten off the freeway to go get something to eat. As I made my way back towards the Interstate, I was driving along on a road that had two lanes on each side and a turn lane in the middle. I was in the left-hand lane and this woman who was about 400 years old was driving in the right lane, and it dead-ended into a turn lane. When she realized this, she swerved over and almost hit me. I still to this day don't know how I didn't get hit and when I looked in my rear-view mirror afterwards, she had this look on her face like, "Oh, you're a car." How do you not see a big black Impala?

I think the funniest one that I've witnessed was in Tampa, FL this past New Year's Day. We were leaving Raymond James Stadium, and a cop was in an intersection directing traffic. When she waved one guy through to turn left, the guy two cars ahead of me thought he was being waved through the intersection. He stopped about halfway through the intersection when the cop signaled him to back up, and he got back, and was about half a carlength in front of the car in front of me.

He forgot to take it out of reverse, and when the cop signaled them through the intersection, he stomped on it. BOOM! I'd hate to have that guy's insurance bill. He almost totaled this lady's Acura.