1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we be allowed ...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by William1, Mar 1, 2007.

1. William1

Should we be allowed to say slightly insulting things if we say them in a clever or funny way?

Like I didn't get banned or even infracted, but I got warned about personal insult on another board for writing this about a guy who is a pain to just about everybody.

I wrote " This thread is in memory of ****** who, sadly, is still with us."

The mod who warned me put a smiley face in with his warning, so I don't think he was too mad about it.

I think the guy concerned reported it, so the mod had no choice.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We need to try to avoid personal remarks here. Despite the smilies, some people may not realise that something was intended as humour. This could be more likely if they are feeling down anyway, or if English isn't their first language.

It would depend on the type of thread the comment is in, too. If it's a fun joking thread they you could probably get away with it, but in a more serious thread it would be out of place.

We generally deal with such things quietly if we think they are inappropriate, such as editing out the offending comment and sending a PM to the poster. On a forum like this, publicly warning people is likely to cause embarrassment.

3. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

First of all, big fan of that quote. But i agree with Paul. Use discretion (sp?) when posting such comments, i've had many incidents where my iron-tongued comments didn't translate the right emotion. After all you can't see into the posters head, only what you read off screen, it's open to perception.

4. William1

OK, I guess you are right. But I find it hard to resist a clever and funny quote. I think if you are going to mildly insult someone, you must do it cleverly. :lol:

Of course, you shouldn't just insult people coz you feel like it, but if you are having a bit of a battle of words, I think it should be OK to make a clever remark. :icon_wink

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I personally don't believe in fighting fire with fire...unless under "Special" circumstances (as re-defined by me when i see fit) but chaq'un a son gout -to each, their own

6. William1

Oh but it's fun! :lol:

BTW, I know Chacun à son goût translates (loosely) to 'Each to his own taste'. :icon_bigg

7. tired_of_lying411

Yes, and taste could be considered to mean preference...
    we just shorten it to "to each their own" in English.

a possibility... assuming you were doubting the equaling of "to each their own" to "Chacun à son goût"

8. William1

LOL! I wasn't assuming anything. It's just you used Chacun à son goût and then followed it with - to each, their own. As if you were explaining what the French phrase meant - which, by the way, I appreciate, as I don't do French at school and am often confused by Gallic terms.

I was just saying that I know what Chacun à son goût means in the English usage. I gave the slightly more literal translation, but it was not a correction of yours. The sense is the same. :smilewave

9. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

You think thats weird.....here's a really different slang phrase;

Pas de tes oinions!!

Find out what that means (not a literal translation) and i'll give you a cookie.

10. William1

I dunno, but I think you mis-spelt the word oinions - did you mean oignons ? And does the phrase Pas de tes oignons mean something like 'mind your own business'?

11. Sleepless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My grandmother used to say "Get your onions out of the way i'm coming through."

...just thought you might want to know...

12. William1

LOL! Maybe she meant your balls. :lol:

13. Sleepless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe she did, but she is (or was, now, I guess) one of those hardcore southern baptists. You know, one of those people that would'nt raise their voice or yell if they were on fire.

Maybe it's a southern thing, I don't know.:confused:

14. Half-Light

its true, you cant see whats in the poster's head, so you can't just assume...:thumbsup: