1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any writers out there?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DrkRayne, Oct 10, 2013.

1. DrkRayne

I'm not sure if this is the write place to post this but...

I love to write. I write Fanfiction, short stories and I'm working on a scifi novel. I would love to publish something officially one day. One day....

Any another writers here? What do you writer? What do you do with your work? Publish it online, in an ebook, on a blog?

2. Hexagon

I write scifi and fantasy novels. I've been too occupied with college lately to write, but I'll get around to it eventually.

3. Nick07

Short stories, fantasy or real life. A novel from RL. Some of them I write just for myself, some of them I publish online. I used to write several hours a day, now when I am 12 hours a day at work, it's hard to get into the right mood. I miss the feeling.

I believe it is not difficult to publish your work at Amazon for example (for download)

4. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dude, I'd love to read what you have. I'm ssure it's great
    I don't write much but I love to read.

5. DrkRayne

Its so hard for me to even think about publishing, as I have no beta reader. Even my fanfiction gets published late because I have to put it aside, wait, then go back, rewrite, then put it aside. I tried to get my wife to read it....but she is not much of a reader and English is her 3rd language so..editing is impossible for her. LOL.

All my short stories are just sitting on my flash drive. :slight_smile: Most of them are true stories about my friends and how they met their lovers. its funny. I wanna publish them in a book one day.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. Typically do a lot of fantasy and short fiction. And I'll admit it here- lot of that shit was LGBT romcom smut. :lol:

7. PeytonRose

I'm told that I'm a pretty decent writer but I'm very much out of practice. I was even told I should start a blog but I don't know wbat I'd write about. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Nick07

First of all, this waiting and rewriting is completely fine. And you know that it is not difficult to get a beta, don't you?

9. DrkRayne

Its difficult for me. I've asked several friends and so far...nothing. Nodda. No responses.

Most of my fiction, with the exception of the novel I'm working in, is lesbian romance...with some drama. Okay a lot of drama and a tad bit of smut.
    No readers, no takers. *sigh*

10. Nick07

You mentioned fanfiction, so I assumed you knew. My friend publishes on fanfiction.net and she has joined a website that offers betaing for free.

It's called Project Team Beta

11. DrkRayne

That kind of stuff scares me, as I'm scared of my writing going to someone else. Its hard. :/

12. Nick07

Then you seem to have a bit of problem :grin: Start with a short story and you will see if it feels comfortable.

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, have to remember a novel or story's going to get nowhere without feedback. Wouldn't advise close friends or family unless you know they're good at giving impersonal feedback, since most of the time people close to you are going to want to do whatever they can to appease you.

May consider looking into an online critique site? You'll be surrounded by people with the same goal- needing feedback on a draft- with not only the opportunity to get your work reviewed but to review other people's work as well. I find that was one of the biggest aids to me as a writer, critiquing for others. When you review other people, you see what works and what doesn't, and have an opportunity to help someone improve.

14. Siarad

I really want to get back into creative writing, I really miss it. I have been procrastinating for years with getting an Advent Calendar story I wrote published.

I have written several books at work for a reading scheme I designed, trying to write Adult (not in that way!) books that use very simple sentences and words but tell stories that feel real and don't feel patronising or babyish. I may consider trying to get them published if they work out.

15. GirlWhoWaited

I've been writing fanfiction since I was13. Quite a long-term love affair. DrkRayne, did you know that fanfiction.net allows you to browse beta profiles and message them first so you can get to know them a bit? You can ask them to use the Track Changes function when editing, that way you can approve each suggestion individually. :slight_smile:

16. Tic Code

I write a lot of fantasy stories. So many plot ideas filling up my head I hardly know what to do with them. I'm actually in the process of writing my first novel! My dad's really good friends with an editor who has lots of connections in the publishing arena.

17. Hexagon

I know how you feel. Or maybe not, but I feel something similar. I feel that my writing has a very personal component to it, which can be expected really. And having someone reading it makes me vulnerable. I wouldn't mind if I ever published, and then people read it, but having someone close to me read my work is really uncomfortable to me.

I have to get over it, I know :/

18. DesertTortoise

Have written two novels, published short stories and poetry. Exclusively write poetry now. On page 7280 in my journal... and that only goes back to 1987. My journal is as important to me as my public writing.

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one novel I'm working on (thought not as much as I used to, since I'm now in college) and a couple others that died while I was writing them.

20. Cerith23

I write a lot of stuff, some smut, a lot fantasy and sci-fi. I have accounts on fictionpress and fanfiction :slight_smile: I want to be an author and housemum when I'm older x