1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Cookware

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rose27, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Hey Y'all just wondering what your favorite cookware is? My son likes to cook and prefers stainless steel. I love my cast iron! I have some for meat based recipes & a couple of other ones for vegitarian cooking.

2. Hexagon

Uh... I suppose they're all steel. I've never thought to check. Out of curiosity, why do you prefer iron? It doesn't seem like it would be better that steel to me, but maybe you know something I don't :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Cast iron Cleans easy! Can use on stove or in oven. When seasoned properly foods don't stick! Food stays hot covered longer...& pans last forever w/proper care! Eggs made anyway taste so much better made in cast iron. Caramelized onions too!

4. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Im all about cast iron and stoneware. I have a kitchen fetish though, any appliance you can think I I probably have, as well as a stoneware cookware set, teflon, and cast iron.... HELP lol

5. DrkRayne

Non-stick
    And stainless Steel.
    My wife bought me a set of Rachel Ray pot and pans for valentines day this year. I was sooo excited!!! I may seem like such a misogynistic gift....but I had been eyeing them for the longest!

6. June Cleaver

Unfortunantly the best cookware is no longer produced and was crazy expensive when it was available. Caphalon anodized aluminum cookware is what I use. They market some crap with the name, but has a cheep coating now on the inside as modern people put cookware in the dishwasher. There is nothing like it! I have used my set for over 20 years now and all of it looks new still and cooks amazing! June

7. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

I wouldn't mind a cast iron fry pan every now and then. I like stainless steel for pots. I like a non-stick stainless steel fry pan on a regular basis's. Aluminum for trays and various items. I haven't been able to have my way around here because my roommate always wants to be the one knee deep in being troubled by everything. My roommate has control of everything and likes me being hopelessly incapable of even washing my own clothes fast enough. So, I haven't been able to even cook for myself and my roommate insists on doing all the shopping for the house. Can't afford to be my own person...Baking is fun!

8. Bolin

I really love non-stick items. You have no idea how much I love non-stick frying pans....and I have a good quality, non-stick wok, and I just use the hell out of that thing lseadgheoai;sdglkhds.

I also have some weird obsession with glass 13x9" casserole dishes.

9. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Not into any other kitchen ware....I want to get a cast iron soup pot & wok next.

10. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

I want to get a new microwave because mine is about ten now.

11. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I had an awesome Rachel Ray pot I used to make soup in...then there was an unfortunate incident w/burnt rice.....
    And its just awesome to read the words "My wife bought me a ...."!!!

#11 Rose27, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  12. leer

I have recently started cooking with a steamer and am getting quite advanced and the food tastes allot better also I use olive oil more .

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I prefer a mix of different pans, actually. That way one can choose the right pan for a given job. Cast iron is wonderful, but it's a terrible choice when doing anything that requires good fast heat changes.

If limited to ONE and ONLY ONE type of cookware, I'd probably go with stainless steel. I can't say I love the stuff, but it seems to come closer to being a "universal" cookware that does everything at least acceptably.

If I were to allowed to supplement to cover weaknesses, I might give serious consideration to set of enameled iron. But, alas, that would also require a budget bigger than my budget. Or else incredible luck at the thrift store.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My favorite is Le Creuset, which I think is cast iron, with enamel over it. It's quite heavy, holds and even heat, and when 'seasoned' has a nice, no-stick surface. Plus, they have awesome colors!

[​IMG]

15. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I have a couple of the baking dishes I got as a gift. Love them. Think I'm going to check out how much a pot would be....

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the only problem with them...they remind me I'm not at all wealthy! Sometimes, I do find them on sale, though.

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Le Creuset is usually cast iron with enamel coating, although they also have enamel covered steel pieces available.

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2013 at 12:07 PM ----------

Prices can be painfully high... But, of course there can be good sales.

One thing to keep in mind, though: I've heard it argued that Le Creuset is durable, and if properly cared for, it's a lifetime investment.

Also it can be argued that one is better off with fewer pieces of cookware but higher quality.

I've heard stories of people bought one Le Creuset pot and found themselves using it as their primary pot.

There are other brands that have a similar product. One I learned of is Staub. Not much cheaper, but it's an interesting alternative, and some prefer it. One thing that I like about Staub: the interiors are black, and apparently have less of a problem with staining than Le Creuset.

There is also enameled iron from China under various names. But I've heard stories of some brands having very short lived lives. At this point, I personally avoid Chinese enameled iron.

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2013 at 12:10 PM ----------

Note that my personal experience with enameled iron is seriously limited, so most of my comments are based on hearsay.

But I will say that I was really impressed with what little experience I've had.

18. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Ours leaking radiation I think. My cell phone cuts out when its on.... maybe this is a bad thing?

19. Hexagon

Nah. Its actually very healthy. I recommend you sleep next to it every night, with it on for the full 8 hours.

20. June Cleaver

What are you guys doing to your microwave ovens? I still have my 1st one from my 1st apartment and it was made in June 1977 according to the tag on the back and it still looks brand new... June