1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage Ban Qualifies For Ballot!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crimsonarcher, Jun 2, 2008.

1. crimsonarcher

Measure Would Overturn California Supreme Court Ruling!!

(from Yahoo.com news)

SAN FRANCISCO -- "The secretary of state said an initiative that would overturn a recent California Supreme Court ruling and outlaw gay marriage in the state has qualified for the November ballot.

Debra Bowen said a random check of signatures submitted by the measure's sponsors showed that they had gathered enough for it to be put to voters.

The measure would amend the state constitution to define marriage as a union "between a man and a woman."

If the measure is approved by a majority of voters on Nov. 4, it would overturn the recent high court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage in the state.

California public health officials already have amended marriage license applications and told local officials to start issuing them to same-sex couples on June 17."

Oh no, it can't be banned by an amendment!
    :frowning2:

2. Nodnarb

The last poll I saw had only 40% of California voters supporting the amendment. While I don't put a lot of faith in polls, I do think that it is a good sign.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I have faith that such an amendment won't pass in California.

4. crimsonarcher

let's just hope for the best!

5. Brett

If only I could vote.....and lived in California........

I'm gonna be watchin the news for this one, but I don't think that it's gonna pass.........

6. Tim

Tim

There was much more of a YES! response to the ban being lifted as opposed to the NO!s. I have faith it will pass. I'm quite tempted to go out and vote :3

7. sdc91

Don't get so comfy there.

Old people are more likely to be against it, and they are the ones who vote. Younger people who would be sympathetic don't vote as much (although I'm not sure how that will turn out in this election since it's so popular).

If you live in CA and you can vote, VOTE!!

8. Tim

Tim

But... then I'd have to register... and be put up for the queue for jury duty <.< >.>

9. Sam

Sam

Why can't people just let us be happy? Is it so wrong for us to want equal rights? I don't want to be treated like a 2nd class citizen my whole life! How is our right to marry going to affect straight peoples life? Its not! What if the shoe were on the other foot and straight people weren't allowed to get married. Maybe marriage should be banned completely for a few years and then maybe they will see how we feel!

Ok I'm done with my rant! I don't live in California but it seems like every time something good like this happens homophobic assholes have to screw it up!

10. TriBi

I have no doubt that a lot of people will disagree with me - but this is precisely why I think that the Gay community (generally - it may vary according to country/location) would be better served by initially lobbying for 'Civil Unions' rather than 'Gay marriage'.

Reason being that a 'Civil Union' would convey the same equality of rights for gay couples - but it circumvents the BIG sticking point for so many straight people that "marriage is between a man and a woman". I just feel it would, in so many places, be so much easier to achieve than anything which combines the words 'gay' and 'marriage'. OK - so a lot of the hard liners won't agree with me - but, let's face it, if it results in equality (in all but description) that much earlier...and the hetero's see that the world doesn't end as a result, it will likely end up being changed in perception (first) and then legally a little later.

Easier to reach a goal by successive steps rather than one big jump.

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Well if you live in California, then you SHOULD vote! :slight_smile:

P.S. I just read your comment about jury duty. Well, yes sometimes voters have to serve on jury duty but I have never done it. I am 46 and have been registered since the age of 18. So, you may or may not get called.

12. Poring

OMG, thats exactly what they should do! Lets see how they like it if they can't marry the so-called person they 'love'. I really hope this thingy wont pass. Grrr! :dry:

13. Trumpetplyer23

Guys, think about this, every time that there has been an amendment banning something (for example Prohibition), it's overturned by a later amendment. There was an amendment that made it almost impossible for blacks to vote back in the day of the civil rights movement, now everyone who is a citizen of the United States and is over the age of 18 can vote.

Maybe this will cause younger people to vote, I don't know, however, if members of the LGBT community are voting, that adds votes to our favor.

14. crimsonarcher

Oh, how I wish i could vote.

15. Tim

Tim

Well, I had to go apply for my ID today, and on the back was registration to vote form, so I figured what the heck, and filled it out >.>

So yea XD

16. pirateninja

I've got everything crossed right now.

Why does everyone feel so threatened by the fact that we want equality? Why does our right to marry someone we love take away from them marrying someone we love?

Still, sometimes we have to settle for a compromise. Black people used to be unable to marry white people, and the idea of that not being called marriage is absurd now. As long as we keep pushing for our rights, I can only hope that it will get better in the future.

17. Quitex

Quitex Guest

You don't, you're still a female!
    /bad joke

18. MeskElil

*hurries to check birth certificate*
    damn.
    why do i have to be 16? this is something I really care about...god, i wish i could vote...
    i certainly hope that it doesn't get banned, especially now that i've finally discovered who i am.
    the thing is that people are mad about the supreme court overruling the people, so they may vote in favor of banning even if they don't care about gay marriage...because of the damn "principle of the thing".
    i really wish people would just wake up and smell the rainbow.

19. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Skittles?

20. MeskElil

:rolleyes: no...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: