1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you fit in the "stereotype"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lil boi, Oct 10, 2013.

1. lil boi

Look at yourself. If you were to take a long look at yourself and really thought about it, would you say that you fit in the stereotypical LGBTQ community? Personality, attire, looks, interests, way you act, way you talk, the people you hang out with and how you act around people, these are just a few examples that could influence how others may look at you if they didn't know you were the way you are. So do you consider yourself as part of the stereotype? Why and how?

2. Split Arrows

There are times I think I do, but my style, interests, mannerisms are so varied that most people assume I'm straight (even when I'm wearing my rainbow gear!) Sometimes I wish I did come off a little bit more stereotypical, because it might make it easier for me to get dates.

3. Emulator

Not really, or if I do, it doesn't come off to people as that.

4. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

I'm not really sure, to be honest.

Sometimes people say... "Wow, are you gay or what?"
    And when I come out to some people they are only half surprised.

But as far as friends go, I think I fit the more hetero stereotype.

.... so, idk :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Siarad

I quite like to wear make-up and dress up when I can be bothered so in that sense I suppose I don't fit the lesbian stereotype. But I do like Horror films and real ale so in that sense, probably.

My straight best friend fits the lesbian stereotype perfectly (apart from the being attracted to women bit!). It amuses me that people only ever think I might be gay when they see me with her and they get the right idea about me but for the wrong reason!

6. KazTastic

Not at all. In fact, I fit in more with the lesbian stereotype.

7. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh, I'm complicated. So many stereotypes should apply to me, haha. As a gay boy, yes I'm very femme and stereotypical...but so much so I'm more like a gay girl, sometimes, haha, soo, yeahh.

Then when I was living as a transgirl...hmm, I don't think I really fit the tranny stereotypes, truthfully. Usually those stereotypes are so nasty and unfair, though.

8. Ohhai

No, not at all. You literally cannot tell that I'm gay at all. Although I did get told I act like a gay man once :s

9. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have 3 cats and used to have 9 at one point so? Haha(!)

10. Tic Code

Nope, not really. I have a pretty deep voice, I'm not exactly fabulous, and I have little to no femme mannerisms or interests. However I do occasionally do random things or say stuff that really make sense if you know I'm gay. But, since most of my friends think I'm straight, it doesn't seem gay necessarily, just weird.

11. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking about this today at work (gotta keep your mind busy doing something). Anyway, my conclusion was that if people just look normally then no (this is why most assume I'm straight). But if they look close and had known me for years yes I carry many stereotypical traits. Almost everywhere I have worked my best friend at work was female. My female friend at work saw me a couple weeks ago walking up while I was listening to my mp3 player and just 'being me' (oops forgot to switch to 'work mode') and said until she saw my headphones she was gonna ask why I was walking 'that way' (damn you Red Hot Chili Peppers for making 'Hey OH' so catchy) and have caught myself doing a 'girl walk' several times. Then there is the 'sass' no I'm not flamboyant but whats the real difference between 'sass' and me being an uncontrollable wise ass? (a good example is I know I'm not allow to chew on anything in the plant (I usually chew on the plastic ring that is left on a soda bottle after you remove the lid)

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2013 at 07:55 AM ----------

I have an oral fixation, okay? Anyway I was chewing on a piece og plastic and saw the USDA lady coming, so I just tucked it in my jaw. I guess she saw me before I saw her because when she got to me she stopped and stared at me for like 2 minutes. She didn't even have her back turned for 2 seconds before I pulled it from my jaw, put it in my front teeth for display, and chomped it really fast as if to say 'looking for this?'. Then there is the whole gays typically dress nicer than those of the same social standing thing. There is nothing really special really, but in a plant where the typical dress is a t-shirt coverd by a something like a workout type sweater. I always show up in a polo and have a couple different nice dress style sweaters I wear. So nothing special really but I stand out.
    So lets recap
    1) Always hangs around girls
    2) Definitely sassy (just not flamboyant)
    3) Sometimes has a feminine walk
    4) Dress nicer than those around me.

OMG I do fit a lot of the stereotypes. I never realised!!!

12. WiliamRoberts

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes and no.

I do have more girl friends than boy friends, but not by too big a number (All the guys talk about girls, and I find it intimidating, the girls talk about boys less, and I don't feel as though I need to be included).
    I don't like fashion really (Cloths for me are just something to stop you from being naked in public) and I can't stand sports (He's hit a ball whoop de doo).
    I like Lady Gaga, but don't regard her as an idol, I just like her music.
    I can't stand romantic films or action films, I like comedy and Sci-Fi :grin:

I think I'm a bit middlish, which I'm happy with :slight_smile:

#12 WiliamRoberts, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  13. magic

yes i fit it soo much i watch glee, shows about fashion.when i was younger i has shiny silver sequin shoes (the whole shoe) and my one of my fav computer games was an interior design program.i love Adam Lambert, Ke$ha, Lady Gaga and i sort of like madonna.i hate sport all of my friends are girls, i sound gay when i talk, i love romance movies and tv shows (i don't read many books), im very emotional and i am a bit sassy.

14. MaybeJory

Yes, so much so, that I can't believe it took me 17 years to figure it out. I wear no jewelry (not even my wedding band) besides a large nose ring, I rock a mohawk, I wear men's/androgynous clothes most of the time. I build things and remodel houses and own all my own power tools. I don't wear makeup or feel comfortable with my nails done.

In fact, I was the only one surprised. Everyone who knows was really confused about my being married to a man. :lol:

15. Waffles

Besides having a considerable amount of female friends, I honestly say not especially. When I came out, I as told by quite a few people that I'm am more masculine than most gay guys they know. The only thing that set them off was how my speech changes when I get excited... otherwise, mainly no. o3o

16. hyperaware

hyperaware Guest

I guess a little bit? I have short hair and wear boyish clothes (but not too boyish. feminine kinda boyish [is that even a thing?]), but I guess that's it.

17. leer

not at all am more straight acting .

18. Incognito10

Things that probably fall into the stereotypes:
    1. I think my voice meets the gay stereotypes
    2. Most of my interests are the same as those of girls such as my tastes in music and I love to just sit and talk about things such as feelings and I love psychology.
    3. I like to dress nice, but I am not sure that is a give-away for being gay as straight guys certainly can dress nice too.
    4. I am a pretty gentle person...I hate sports and a lot of the rough and tumble activities that many straight men love.
    5). I have no problem with covering up facial blemishes with makeup (nothing over the top obvious though). At this point, I have no issue walking into the drug store, going to the foundation aisle and selecting my "tone" and going up to the cashier and paying for it. I actually enjoy it as I feel it helps break down all societies lovely little stereotypes they've invented.

Things that are not stereotypical about me:
    1). I don't have any rainbow items.
    2). If I am going through a lazy phase, I'll let my beard grow a bit and it looks pretty scruffy.
    3). Though not fat, I love to pig out sometimes, not so flattering to watch.
    4). I am very shy...most people probably have the stereotype that gay guys are loud and are full of endless chatter. I am quiet in crowds and really tend not to draw a lot of attention.

19. BonBon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would say I probably had more of the stereotypes as a child than as I do now. Always played football with the boys during break at school (I was the only girl) and all round sporty and dressed more like a boy (did not like my mother putting me in dresses). I think my extended family thought I was completely gay from a young age as when it got to high school age every time I seen them I was asked if I had a boyfriend, without fail that was usually their first question lol. But in high school I discovered make-up, dresses, girly fashion accessories so my tomboy image was toned down a lot and near end of highschool I got a boyfriend haha! Now in my early 20's my friends describe me as femme but with tomboy traits (sporty lol)

20. Hexagon

There aren't really so many multisexual stereotypes, and as for gay ones, I don't fit most of them. However, I don't think people generally perceive me as straight.