1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oo, I just got banned ...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by William1, Mar 1, 2007.

1. William1

OK, just ignore me if you want, but like this only happened today and I have to vent about it. And like, yeah, I know it's only my side of the story.

I been going to a games forum since I was like 9, and I sometimes post in their off-topic section. I never had any problems with anyone there until this morning.

There is this mod who is heavily into guns, and he posted a pic of what he called his latest 'toy'. That was OK, but then he posted that he didn't want anyone posting about gun control and gun crimes, coz he would infract them without warning.

I didn't post about gun control, but I said it was not fair for him to threaten people about posting in a topic he started. Like if he didn't want criticism he shouldn't post about his guns (he's got a big collection).

So he posted back and told me to shut up coz I'm just a kid and no one was interested in my immature opinion, and if I didn't like it I could leave the forum.

So I got a bit mad, and I said "Yeah OK, but I just enjoy getting up the noses of gun-toting little Nazi wannabe's."

Then another mod stepped in and said he would 'smoke me like a bad cigar' if I didn't watch my mouth.

So I got even madder, and I said to the other mod that I hadn't broken any forum rules, and I'm not scared of him, and like he can't threaten me for no reason, and if he messes with me, I will mess with him.

And then, like two minutes later, I got this message that I was banned for a month. And in the section where it says 'reason' there was the word 'none'.

I won't say the name of the forum, coz that wouldn't be fair to the other forum members who I like and have no probs with, but can I ask the mods here if someone could get banned with no warnings or notice, for saying the same things on this board? I'd just like to know.

Like I know I was opposing the mod, but I didn't use any bad language, and I don't feel he had the right to threaten me.

From a mod's point of view, was what I did wrong? I don't think I did anything wrong, but like I said, that's only my side of the story.

What do people think about this (and I don't mind you telling me I was wrong)?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you look at the rules of many forums you will find that they reserve the right to suspend people's use of the forum without giving any reason. After all, it is their forum and they can run it however they wish.

Most forums are run voluntarily for the enjoyment of the owners and anyone else who is interested in the subjects being discussed. I run a vintage radio repair and restoration forum myself for exactly this reason.

The people running the forum and the moderators who help them (all unpaid) obviously don't want problems and hassle - they are there to try to keep the place running smoothly.

I think they gave you a temporary ban, not because of your opinions and views, but because of your attitude.

They had stated in the thread that they did not want postings about gun control etc there (probably because it has been discussed in other threads before, or because they know that the line of discussion will enviably cause problems) and warned that anyone doing so would be dealt with. But you did so anyway, and from the quote you posted "Yeah OK, but I just enjoy getting up the noses of gun-toting little Nazi wannabe's." it sounded like you wanted an argument.

I think they were quite reasonable to give you some time out for that. I don't know what their policy on warnings/infractions/bans is, and I don't know what your previous record with the forum is, but you went against a request in the thread and continued to do so in an argumentative manner even when asked to stop, so they had to do something.

Be grateful that it is only a temporary ban. some forums would issue a permanent ban for arguing with the moderators.

Once you get back in, perhaps try to engage in these discussions in a way that doesn't come across like an argument. Try to disagree with the opinion, not with the person. It's not always easy, but attacking the person who expresses the view is not the way to have a meaningful discussion about the view.

You do not have a right to free speech on a privately owned forum. This is why if someone starts posting gay-hate messages here they get banned. Forums all have a purpose and reason to exist, and any posting obviously needs to fit in with that - with whatever latitude for other discussions the site owners allow.

On this forum you are welcome to express any view you like (other than gay-hate) about pretty much any subject - though it would need to be something that others here might find interesting too. Whatever view you or anyone else expresses should be done in a calm manner. If people start shouting, threatening or abusing other members they will be asked to calm down and if they don't they will get some time out (probably just a day or two initially) to calm down and consider their actions.

However that has not happened yet, and I doubt it is going to happen very often. We have had to remove the odd post that was attacking the person rather than their point of view, and in these cases we send a PM to the poster and explain why.

There is a saying that "the first person to raise his/her voice has lost the argument" and I think there is some truth in that.

3. William1

OK, ur right. I agree that maybe I shouldn't have said that stuff about gun-toting Nazi wannabes (but he was acting like one :lol:slight_smile: but I was really just trying to say that mods shouldn't bully other posters.

Like the first mod wanted to post about his gun-collection but he didn't want anyone to say anything bad about guns, so he warned ppl not to. That's not fair, if he didn't want ppl to comment about guns he shouldn't have made the first post. And then the second mod ganged up on me to protect his mate.

Like that's not moderating to keep the forum going smoothly, that's just looking after their own interests.

I get loads of crap from bullies at school (just coz I'm not very big built) and I hate bullying of any sort. So I don't care if ppl are bigger than me, or older than me, or more important than me, I will always fight if anyone is being bullied. That's the only way to show bullies they can't do what they like.

Like I had to spend two days in the infirmary the last fight I had with this big guy who used to push me around, but he doesn't do it now. It's not that I won, but he knows he can't just get away with it.

And neway, what sort of coward would I be if I just lay down and let these mods walk all over me? You got to stand up for yourself if you think ur right.

And the second mod shouldn't have threatened me when I hadn't actually broken any forum rules, should he? And he could have just PMed me and said "Look, ur acting like an arse, just stop it." And I would have said sorry.

I'm not just trying to be right, but I'm trying to make you understand what went down, and why I did that stuff.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Unfortunately with any forum the owners can run it however they like, since it is their property. If they want to run it to support a specific agenda, and appoint mods with the same views, there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

Some forums are run fairly, some aren't. Hopefully EC is run fairly. It was set up because many coming out forums for young people seemed to have inappropriate motives. EC is owned by guys care about what we are doing here.

If you don't like the way a forum is run you can try contacting the owners and calmly explaining your concerns, but it sounds like in this case it is not going to get you anywhere. The only option unfortunately is to find somewhere more welcoming and better run. Or you could start your own, but it's an uphill struggle unless you are offering something unique and have the means to promote it.