Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General discussion of topics of interest to LGBT people of all ages.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th Oct 2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Three things:Games, Asian, and life

Orientation: Gay :D
Out Status: Out to everyone except parents and extended family

Default Anti gay companies

Chik fil a, Wal-mart, Auto-Zone, Gold's gym, Toys R Us; these are anti-gay company chains. How do you guys deal with them?

Personally, I try to never go to these places, sometimes some of these places franchise pretty far away from where I live (Nearest Chik Fil a is a 20 minute drive with mild traffic). If I HAVE to, then I wear my GSA shirt or any other pro-gay clothes and wristbands, and buy the least amount of items.

Everyone has a story to tell. Don't settle with just the happy ending. To be continued is always more fun and could be better. - Michelle Phan
anthonythegamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Imperial Gnerd Army

Orientation: Androsexual
Out Status: You must construct additional pylons.

Default Re: Anti gay companies

Didn't know Wal-Mart was anti-gay. Then again, I don't go to Wal-mart unless absolutely necessary. Same with Auto-zone. And I think I met with a lesbian who worked at the local one, so I thought they were pro-gay. I avoid Chik Fil A at all costs, though.
Old 12th Oct 2013, 11:23 PM   #3
EC Addict

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: All that matter

I don't go to any of those to begin with anyway. Really? Golds gym? Hmph.
Old 12th Oct 2013, 11:33 PM   #4
I'm bi-winning

Orientation: bi
Out Status: A few people

As long as they don't openly advocate anti-gay policies, I think they're alright. I might be in the minority, but even Chick-Fil-A only had its president say he disapproves of homosexuality; I doubt the company would break equal opportunity laws in order to persist in bigotry.

Any company I find out actively opposes the advancement of gay rights, though, I'd boycott them readily.
Argentwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2013, 01:12 AM   #5
EC Addict

Orientation: Bisexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSwordsman View Post
As long as they don't openly advocate anti-gay policies, I think they're alright. I might be in the minority, but even Chick-Fil-A only had its president say he disapproves of homosexuality;...
I think they also donated money to the 'Christian' hate groups who promoted the kill-the-gays-bill in Uganda...
Aquilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2013, 05:55 AM   #6
actual princet

Orientation: Queer

i didn't know that Walmart was anti-gay...
though, it doesn't surprise me, they've had multiple lawsuits for gender discrimination.
Old 13th Oct 2013, 08:57 AM   #7
'AWARGH - SCHWSCHWO'AH KOH-KOH'

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Out to everyone

1 Highscore

I think being an anti gay company in 2013 is such bs. I live in a small town and none of these places are around me, seriously the nearest city to me is about 5 hours.
They're so frustrating.
Old 13th Oct 2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Militant Homosexual

Orientation: I like guys <3
Out Status: Out to everyone

In the UK I avoid Stagecoach which can be a pain because they are the biggest bus company in the UK.

Stagecoach's CEO Soulter is a raging homophobe who bank rolls the Scottish National Party an is responsible for a number of them (Including Salmond) for trying to keep section 28 in Scotland (which made it forbidden for public bodies to speak positively about LGBT issues) . Now he is bankrolling the anti same sex marriage lobby over there
Beware Of You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2013, 09:09 AM   #9
EC Addict

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: One friend, and kind of out to my mom.

I boycott Wal-Mart, I don't eat chicken anyway, and I don't have a car... Toys R Us is most likely afraid of profit loss if we don't reproduce. I'm now boycotting them too. Thanks, OP!
Old 13th Oct 2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Well Known

Orientation: the Gayerside of B̶i̶ Pansexual
Out Status: Family, XGirlfriend, Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythegamer View Post
Chik fil a, Wal-mart, Auto-Zone, Gold's gym, Toys R Us; these are anti-gay company chains. How do you guys deal with them?

Personally, I try to never go to these places, sometimes some of these places franchise pretty far away from where I live (Nearest Chik Fil a is a 20 minute drive with mild traffic). If I HAVE to, then I wear my GSA shirt or any other pro-gay clothes and wristbands, and buy the least amount of items.
So I am aware of Chik fil a. but what actions have the others taken that cause you to call then anti-gay?

The other question I have is at what point do you consider forgiving a company? I remember when Coors was under fire for there actions. They through rainbow flags on some taps and called themselves gay-friendly and all seemed forgiven. Its a shitty beer anyway. I hate all these companies anyway but sometimes there unavoidable. I wish I could keep my money out of the hands of the Kock brothers but they are too well insulated.
ClosetedFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Three things:Games, Asian, and life
Threadstarter

Orientation: Gay :D
Out Status: Out to everyone except parents and extended family

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetedFather View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythegamer View Post

So I am aware of Chik fil a. but what actions have the others taken that cause you to call then anti-gay?

The other question I have is at what point do you consider forgiving a company? I remember when Coors was under fire for there actions. They through rainbow flags on some taps and called themselves gay-friendly and all seemed forgiven. Its a shitty beer anyway. I hate all these companies anyway but sometimes there unavoidable. I wish I could keep my money out of the hands of the Kock brothers but they are too well insulated.
They refuse to give benefits to same-sex couples (unless state law requires them to). Discrimination policies are pretty much non-existent in Wal-mart.

Everyone has a story to tell. Don't settle with just the happy ending. To be continued is always more fun and could be better. - Michelle Phan
anthonythegamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2013, 01:00 PM   #12
EC Addict

Out Status: My pain of hiding passed my fear of change 6-2014

They refuse to give benefits to same-sex couples (unless state law requires them to). Discrimination policies are pretty much non-existent in Wal-mart.

wal-mart just offered same sex employee helthcare

Walmart to offer same-sex domestic benefits

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2013 at 03:08 PM ----------

wal-mart just offered same sex employee helthcare

Walmart to offer same-sex domestic benefits
Old 13th Oct 2013, 01:53 PM   #13

Orientation: Biromantic Homosexual
Out Status: Out to most of my friends and none of my family

To be honest, as much as I dislike those that are anti-gay like Chick-fil-A, I will continue to go to Chick-fil-A simply because I like their food. The employees that make the food aren't anti-gay (as far as we know) just the people that employ them. I only go to Walmart if I'm right next to them or I need a new car battery. I may not believe in their opinions but I like their products.
Old 13th Oct 2013, 02:05 PM   #14
EC's resident bitch

Out Status: All but family

There are some pro-LGBT companies, but the fact that some of those use what amounts to slavery, or have terrible conditions in their South-East Asian factories and workhouses, means that I refuse to buy from them. I'm not even sure that I should go to a humane subsidiary of a company with another subsidiary that relies on inhumane practices (thinking Wesfarmer's here).
Old 13th Oct 2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Drive My Soul

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: All but distant relatives

Wal-Mart used to fund gay-friendly organizations but eventually stopped. The youngest son of Sam Walton donated $75,000 do a committee that started a campaign to prevent gay couples from adopting in Arkansas. This year they scored a 60 on the Corporate Equality Index, though, so things may be changing

Other "anti-gay" organizations include Urban Outfitters, Exxon, A-1 Self Storage, and the Salvation Army.

I personally don't go out of my way to avoid these companies as long as they're not actively doing anything. There are quite a few people in the world who don't support our "lifestyle". I just choose to be the bigger person and not throw a fit about it. Besides, just because a corporation doesn't support equality, doesn't mean that the franchise down the street is the same.
Old 13th Oct 2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Wishing It Would Rain...

Orientation: There's no label that can describe me : 3
Out Status: All but family

I feel extremely guilty for saying this, but I can't help but enjoy Chik-Fil-A's food whenever my parents bring it home. I know that its morals are wrong, at least the CEO's, but it's just that I keep giving in to temptation . I can't exactly say to my parents tht I won't go there anymore cause' they'll get suspicious, which isn't what I want just yet. The best I can do is spite the CEO's values whenever I have to eat there. Does this make me a bad person for liking their food ? It's kind of a minute detail, but I feel guilty about it whenever I go on this site and see threads like these.
Old 13th Oct 2013, 07:34 PM   #17
I'm bi-winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyViolinist View Post
I can't help but enjoy Chik-Fil-A's food
Joke's on them; they're still serving gay people, making sure we're well-fed enough to resist them effectively.
Old 13th Oct 2013, 08:00 PM   #18
Well Known

Orientation: the Gayerside of B̶i̶ Pansexual
Out Status: Family, XGirlfriend, Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSwordsman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyViolinist View Post
I can't help but enjoy Chik-Fil-A's food
Joke's on them; they're still serving gay people, making sure we're well-fed enough to resist them effectively.
That is what they are saying. Jokes on them. Let em eat our food and make are wallets fat and out anti-gay organizations well fed so we can fight them effectively.
ClosetedFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2013, 08:23 PM   #19
I'm bi-winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetedFather View Post
That is what they are saying. Jokes on them. Let em eat our food and make are wallets fat and out anti-gay organizations well fed so we can fight them effectively.
You can't just money your way to anything though. Lots of things, but even the wealthiest can't straight up reverse the flow of the zeitgeist. Anti-gay prejudice is still around, but it's not the taboo it once was and it's getting better every day, whether or not CFA runs a successful chicken racket.
Old 18th Oct 2013, 09:21 AM   #20
EC Addict

Out Status: Out to most people

While Chick-Fil-A got a lot of bad press from the President's public feelings on the matter. The company itself (corporate headquarters) also donated money to anti gay groups.
Our local Chick Fil A though has hired at least 3 openly gay employees, including my husband, and the owners daughter. The locally owned franchise treated all of them equally, even though they were out. I even got a family discount from my husband working there.
The point here is that even if the president and corporate headquarters may be anti gay, the locally owned franchises should be evaluated on their own.
DMark69 is offline   Reply With Quote