1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of my better ideas was/is...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Siarad, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Siarad

Just a thread for people to have a little self-indulgent show-off about a good idea they've had (no judgement, we all need that sometimes!)

One of my better ideas was to buy four solar-powered garden lights for £1.50 each and put them to charge on the windowsill of my flat during the day so I don't pay for turning my lights on at night!

2. ruby7799

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :lol:So today my guinue pig chewy ran away from me while I was picking him up and he cut my fingerr real bad soo I get him a ball and hes the guard rodent its so smart!!!!

3. Data

Data Guest

Well, I had my sister help me bleed her brakes after I changed the brake lines on all 4 corners. I didn't want her to overstroke the master cylinder, and when I asked her if she remembered how far her brake pedal normally goes she said no. So I went out and got a block of wood and cut it so that it stopped the brake pedal just before it reached half way down on the stroke. I used a vacuum bleeder to get most of the air out (when the new fluid came in the line I stopped) and then I had her help me bleed the lines in the traditional way to be sure everything was free of air. Worked great and the master is still intact.

When my 190E started overheating one day coming home from work, I pulled over and popped the hood. The aux fan should have come on, but it didn't (sensor issue). I broke the cover off the relay and used my shoelace to tie the relay closed. The aux fan ran 100% of the time and kept temps below 110*C which is where I felt safe. That allowed me to limp home and diagnose the cause.

I was riding my motorcycle when my pant leg caught the kickstand and pulled the spring off its perch. My kickstand then flopped down (without the spring pulling it up) and killed the engine as I coasted to a red light. I rode up onto the sidewalk and found out what the issue was. I couldn't pull the spring by hand because it was too stiff, so I tied the kickstand up with my boot lace and rode home. Then when I got home, I leaned the bike up against the house and used a pair of pliers to put the spring back in place.

My sister was scheduled for work and her key wouldn't turn in the ignition of her car. Since tumbler failures are common for this car, I removed the ignition tumbler and showed her how to start the car with a screwdriver. That got her to work in time and allowed us to wait a few days for a tumbler to arrive from the Mercedes dealer.

Most of my good ideas are improvising a solution to a problem. I get my best ideas when under pressure or in the shower. :slight_smile: