1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assisted Suicide [possible trigger warning]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Well, we've had debates on this before I believe, so I'm not really going for another. I just thought I'd ask a couple of hypothetical questions.

What would you do if a close friend or family member who was terminally ill told you they wanted to die to escape their suffering or some other reason related to their illness? (Please note, they are not asking you to help them kill themselves).

And what if they were severely disabled, but not terminally ill?

2. Foxface

I would absolutely accept their decision. It's so selfish for the world to say that this person must suffer because of our own conceptions. I am sorry I believe we do everything we can to help someone who is depressed and suicidal. I took my job to do just that but I cannot sit and look someone in the eye who is dying a terribly painful disease and tell them they aren't allowed peace because I have made up my mind to deny them that

Hate me if you want for this opinion but frankly I am sick of holding back. Not from EC, from life in general

Foxface

#2 Foxface, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (This is purely hypothetical, I'm not saying it would work in practice across a whole country's law. Just how I would react)

If they actually told me they wanted to die to escape their suffering, I'd ask them how long they'd felt that way, why they thought that way, and whether there would be any other alternatives. If they genuinely felt there was no way out and no-one else could see a way out, I think I would let them pass. It's their last wish after all. If they were terminally ill I think I'd rather grant their freely made choice (after much discussion) and let them die with the dignity they have left rather than let them degrade further. In those circumstances, I don't see much sense in forcing someone to live when they clearly don't want to (though only if they *clearly* don't want to) just because I want them in my life.

If it was someone with a major disability, well that would depend on the kind of disability. If it was one where communication was impeded or a challenge, I'd be hesitant at the least as I'm uncomfortable with any ambiguity in this situation. It's not a terminal disease so it's not the same and so I'd probably try harder to get them to enjoy life and see a reason for living, but if all options are exhausted and they still don't want to live for exactly the same reasons, probably as above. Suicide for able-bodied people is regarded as a choice, why shouldn't it be for disabled people? I don't advocate suicide but they should at least be offered a choice at some point.

4. Hexagon

Personally, it would be very hard for me, but I'd accept it, and avoid letting my emotional distress impact my decision. I'd talk it through to make sure they knew what they were doing, and then give my support. It would be selfish to do otherwise.

In the case of a disabled friend, basically the same, though (perhaps wrongly, i dunno), I'd spend more time making sure it was the right decision.

5. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would understand and support their decision as much as I possibly could, as I would realize, as hard as it is for me, it's a million times harder for them, and if I were in their position, I'd probably do the exact same thing. So, I'd give them as much support and love as possible until the end, and then probably fall apart, after.

It's not my job to tell anyone they have to live in pain, especially not when the end is inevitably close, anyway.

This is different. It depends. There are various levels of functioning that come with disability. If at all possible, I would strongly, strongly encourage them to keep fighting and see the beauty in the life they have, even if it's not conventional, as there are many who live full, productive lives in the face of disability (ie, Helen Keller).

However, if they were sure that they couldn't be happy living that way, once again, I'd have no choice but to support their decision to end their own life, as hard as it would be, for me. Cause once again...if I were in that position, I'd probably do the same thing. So all I could really do would be to offer love and understanding and ease their passing as much as possible <3

6. Data

Data Guest

I'm in this situation right now actually.

A close friend of mine (a HS teacher who I've grown very close to) has been given 6 months-2 years to live with a fatal heart condition.

No operation can save her. 20% surgery survival rate. Her husband killed himself due to his PTSD from Vietnam, and her PTSD has gotten much worse in the last year.

She has told me that she's thinking of going the way of her husband.

It is of my opinion that a person's life is theirs to do what they want. If they want to end it early, let them.

It makes me sad to think about it, but her situation(more then what I describe above) is pretty miserable and I can see why she might choose that option. I have gone through all the steps of trying to turn the coin to all the positives, but she's just old and tired. Her psychologist is aware of these thoughts.

I won't actively intervene in a person's end-of-life wishes and make them suffer through what's left of their life.

7. Foxface

I guess I didn't answer the other side of it. Is someone were to be disabled to the point of no movement and no quality of life, then yes let them go

Foxface

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm vehemently against most arguments that say suicide is justified, but in the case of vegetative state or certainly terminal illness, I'd support the patient's right to die on their own terms.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My step-grandfather was in that exact position. His Parkinson's and other things had him living in a nursing home, in a wheelchair, and to the point where he threw up everything he ate. He was open with us all that he was ready to go and wanted to go. And I felt so bad for him that he had to live that way, and I honestly think that if it were me, if I'm headed for a nursing home, put me on a plane to The Netherlands and let them euthanize me.

That's the one time in my life that I was happy to hear that someone had died, because now he was out of his misery.

10. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would be against it but it is ultimately their choice. The reason I'm personally against it because I hope they will get better even though there is no cure. I know this is not rational thinking but I cannot help the way I feel. This may sound selfish but I would not want them to leave me.

I'm not going to stop people who seek assisted suicide. I do believe everyone has the right to live and the right to decide when they choose to die.

11. aeva

100% for it.

As a vet tech, I deal with animal euthanasia on an almost daily basis. I've talked with many others in the profession about it, and all of us seem to agree- our job is to alleviate suffering. There is no more ultimate form of this than death. Emotionally, I have a MUCH harder time dealing with pets who are in such great distress that their lives are utterly miserable, but whose owners are forcing their beloved companion to endure it because of their own emotions.

Obviously, humans and animals are not the same, but I think they share more in this regard than one would initially think. On it's most base level, I think it is cruel to force suffering onto any living being. This is exponentially increased when that being has vocalized their desire for that suffering to be ended.

I think there should be some standards and requirements (gauging quality of life, ensuring that loved ones have a chance to say goodbye, therapy offered to all involved, having all financial and legal affairs in order, etc.), but I think the ultimate choice should belong to the individual.

12. Beware Of You

If someone I love is in pain with no hope of getting better then I would let them go. I would go so far to help them if they need it, even if it ends up with me facing criminal charges