1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ryanninjasheep, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ryanninjasheep

I've noticed the rise of queer as a mainstream word and I really dislike it. In my opinion, queer is one of the worst commonly used words regarding the LGBT community because it literally means wierd or odd. It's like saying certain people aren't normal. Am I just reading into it too much?

2. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think of queer as more meaning alternative, in this context, as opposed to "weird". It's a good catch all term, and is also good for those with more ambiguous gender identities/sexual orientations, that don't quite fit into the "male/female", "gay/straight (or bi)", "trans/cis" binaries. I also think it's more youthful and makes for an edgier identity, to some.

I honestly don't have a problem with either. I call myself queer, gay, LGBT, they're all the same, to me. Sometimes queer is easier, for me, depending on the circumstances; ie, as a general rule, if I'm in boy mode, I just call myself gay cause things are easy and simple and it's just what I AM, so no need to really call myself "queer" other than to seem "edgy", which I'm not looking to do, anyway, soo jaah, I just say gay.

But then, when I was in transition/girl mode, I called myself queer to people who knew my birth history a LOT (I never 100% embraced the trans label) cause it kinda covered things more, for me (especially as I came to realize my gender identity wasn't 100% female).

Regardless, the term is still offensive when used in that context: like when rednecks call me or my sister "fucking queers", it's hurtful, obviously.

#2 chercheur, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason queer has been used to describe ourselves is due to an attempt to reduce the power of the insult by appropriating the word to ourselves. In effect, it is almost a theft from the homophobe's use of the word, and by so doing, depriving it of the ability to hurt us.

It is actually a brilliant move to change the context and hence the meaning of the word! Almost no one uses "queer" in the sense of odd or weird. And I do remember when it was used that way. The word "gay" also suffered this fate...

4. wanderinggirl

Some people are really against it, but it's also a word that some are trying to reclaim.

In my opinion it depends on context: I identify as queer sometimes as the least constrictive label, but it can be a hateful word used in the right way. I know people who are offended by it or dislike it, and I respect that as well. I think it's all up to you how you feel about it.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just say LGBT. Like, out loud. Ya, it sounds pretty disgusting. Or, you could say queer.

There's a reason it's getting to be a mainstream word.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like it. Queer is empowering, all-inclusive, and a lot more convenient than using "LGBT" in everyday conversation. I've never been a huge fan of binaries, whether related to sexuality or gender, and there are plenty of those outside the community who feel it is largely catered to gay cismen and women, wanting nothing to do with it. If we could somehow bring more people together by showing them we all have a common struggle, they might be willing to reconsider their position(s). When someone uses queer to describe themselves, it shows a willingness to see beyond the strict divisions both within and outside of the LGBT community; it sends the message, "I'm one of you". That's important, because we need more unity.

7. castle walls

I don't think that you're reading too much into it. Some people have chosen to reappropriate the word while others refuse to use the word.

You aren't the only one that doesn't like the word. I strongly dislike the word queer as well. I don't allow anyone, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, to refer to me as such

8. DesertTortoise

Oh yes indeed on the 'not normal!' That's what I like about 'queer.' Why would I ever want to be normal,' when it's the normal world that want to convert or erase me, when the normal world is about power and exploitation, about subjugating and robbing, bombing and blowing children up in bloody pieces on the other side of the world? SCREW assimilation. SCREW that hetero-nomative world that wants us dead!
    QUEER forever! In their face--QUEER! ... a poet I know said at a poetry reading we were at... that poetry is the discourse of weired people. I'm an activist... and I thought.. if we can make the world safe for weird people, it will be safe for everyone.
    So I like weired. Queer. Strange. Anything but NORMAL!

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2013 at 10:03 PM ----------

gravechild.

Yes! We are not one at a time everyone alone. We are by any determination, outsiders. We can either pretend 'we' doesn't exist... and try our hand at pretending we are like everone else... except for this one small detail.. something about 'sex.' Or we can't raise our consciousness
    AS outsiders, not victims, but as those with visionary advantage see from outside the system. Stand together, we are strong. One by one by one... we are doomed.

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2013 at 10:09 PM ----------

'Gay' was offered as a euphomism for the ugly, clinical "homosexual.' A word that passed the hetero-normative test of acceptability and sounded prettier. In deference to the delicate sensibilities of our oppressers... ah hem.

Bow and scrape? Or in their face? Ain't no choice at all for me.

#8 DesertTortoise, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  9. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My son has a children's book writen in the '40's that use gay and queer in there original forms. Its a book about a train named Tootle. The young trains practice there TooOoots but can only get out a gay little "tootle". I love to throw out an extra flamboyant Tootle when I read it. Just makes me laugh.

Desert we all know your queer. Thats what I love about you, your not afraid to let your freak flag fly.

I too am happily queer.

10. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    nobody rlly uses it to mean 'odd' anymore, & it's nice yo reclaim a word that's been used against LGBT+ ppl for so long.

11. Hexagon

I love queer.

12. Lindsey23

I used to really hate the word queer and have only recently started to feel differently about it. I've heard more and more gay people (all online) refer to themselves as queer. When they say it, it doesn't sound offensive to me. Like others have said LGBT people are reclaiming the word and I'm starting to get on board with that.

Also, I've never heard the word queer used in a non-gay sense. No one ever says, "Gosh the weather is queer today." The original meaning of it has been changed anyway, at least in practice. So why not take it and put a positive spin on it?

13. Moodlighter

Moodlighter Guest

I think the problem lies more in people's attitudes to that which they judge as weird. Because in fact, there is no such thing as normal. The sooner we come to accept that, the sooner everyone won't have such petty issues with things they think are weird.

I'm weird and I am damn proud. Call me queer? You are not wrong. Similarly, call me a homo sapien? You're not wrong. Point out my weird clicky elbow? Correct again. You're just pointing out what I am. Tell me it's strange that I see colours when I hear music? Sure.

Rather than defending yourself against other's judgement, it would be more beneficial to just accept yourself as you are. Then anyone could call you anything and you'd be all "...yeah and?".

#13 Moodlighter, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  14. LiquidSwords

In the same way nigger is no longer an offensive way to refer to a black kid? :confused:

Whether a word is offensive or not depends almost entirely on context and I don't really have much hope that LGBT kids using the word themselves will have any effect on the power the word can still have in a different context. As long as homophobia exists in society there will be offensive ways of referring to gay people with the power to offend/hurt.

To me, calling someone queer suggests abnormality or that their LGBTness is a defining part of who they are and their character, which might be fine for some but not really for me. I've never heard the word used irl in anything but a disparaging way and I wouldn't be happy ever to be referred to as such.

#14 LiquidSwords, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  15. Depeche

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually like the word queer.

Im Ireland the word "gay" has taken on a new meaning.

Its now used to describe something thats bad or useless .

EG: that tv show is so gay.

Stoopid I know but thats how the word gay is being used where I'm from.

16. Yes, as other posters have said, queer is a classic example of reclaiming a word that was once used to hurt you. I was never exposed to it being hurtful, so I can't speak to that, though I do know some people who don't use the word for themselves for that reason and I think that's fine.

I use queer as a catch all, again, like others have said, but also I use it for myself because I don't want to imply the gender binary in my gender or sexual orientation. Strict gender separation doesn't fit with me very well, so it's tough to explain in a short hand way who I am and who I am attracted to.

Queer in its original usage does mean weird or strange, but I don't think in this context it is an insult anymore. Most of what we see in the world is heteronormative, cisnormative--those are our societal norms for gender and sexuality.

Queer can just mean, against those norms. Not normal. Not like we're not normal people, but that we break norms by just existing. Which is why I think it works really well for gender and sexual minorities.

It's okay if you don't like it though, you don't have to use it, all I'm saying is that there are reasons others do.

17. SFSorrow

Well, actually, it's Homo sapiens...

18. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think some people like to transform negative terms into positive ones. Some might view queer as a positive word while others still judge the term based on its historical roots.

19. Aarin

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't mind it, since I am queer. My gender is not 100% male, even though I identify as one, and my sexuality is so fluid that it FLOWS. Though, if someone tries to use it as an insult, then I'll get pissed.

20. Techno Kid

I really like Queer! :grin: To me it means unique or outside of the mainstream culture...which I think is great because the mainstream culture sucks..