1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discrimination - Is it real?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bryan90, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Bryan90

Alright so we all acknowledge that discrimination exists -- sexism, racism, lookism etc.

Something that really baffles me, and perhaps some of you will be able to enlighten me is:

I noticed something really interesting about discrimination. Recently as Hilary Clinton loses out in the race, some roll their eyes and go "sexism". And I wonder, if it were Barrack who is losing out the in race, people would still roll their eyes and go "racism".

It's really funny how when a person doesn't get discriminated, there is like no mention about it, and it's taken for granted. But when a person loses out in something or feels less privileged, most of the times, he/she would point to discrimination.

I wonder sometimes if discrimination is even worth mentioning in intellectual discourse, because it really does happen to everyone anyway. Discriminated because of race, height, physique, intellect, etc. And yes intellect discrimination is a valid discrimination - those who are born with an aptitude in art but lack talent in math & science are clearly discriminated by some education systems where math is a compulsory subject while art isn't.

I just wonder, because this is really counter intuitive to me. I very often see how many communities are suppressed and oppressed, but should we really blame discrimination aloud? Would it be any good to us to blame it? Or would it be more beneficial if we just take it into our stride?

2. Trumpetplyer23

You do make a good point, because when people lose and they're of a minority, they usually point to discrimination. I think that's stupid because if they're competing in something, the contest is usually fair.

I don't think that we should ignore discrimination, but instead of using it as a crutch for why we didn't win something, we should try and stamp it out. Get rid of it.

Where I live, if you're not (for guys) a football playing, beer guzzling jock, then you're pretty much gay. A lot of football players at my school think that they are God's gift to the world, and most of them are assholes. And for girls if you're not a prissy, cheerleader, you're pretty much seen as a "dyke". So, I get discriminated against, but I don't use it as reason why I didn't pass my math test or why I didn't get a higher chair placement in band. I take it in stride and say "Whatever, if you want to act like that, then fuck you, I've got better people to hang out with."

One girl, in my grade, is an amazing athlete, she plays three varsity sports (volleyball, basketball, and track), and even has a school record, as a freshman! She doesn't discriminate against those who aren't as talented as she is. She's also a very talented student, but doesn't expect things to just be handed to her, she works hard.

3. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Actually, I disagree. Aren't people all talking about how great it is that Hilary and Obama are in the race? As in, yay - for once it's not just white men, there's less discrimination. I think sometimes people do say discrimination when there's not, but I also think that discrimination is very real and certain people do face it worse than others.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there discrimination going on? Of course. Obama lost votes for his color, and Hillary for her gender. But that doesn't mean Obama won because he has a penis, or, had Hillary won, she won due to lack of pigmentation.

Lex