1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important Reminder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thesharkamander, Oct 15, 2013.

1. thesharkamander

With Halloween just around the corner, I thought it'd be a good idea to remind everyone that live animals should never be used as party decorations, such as black cats for Halloween and rabbits for Easter.

The following story is completely true before anyone asks.
    Last year, late Halloween night, a black kitten walked into my house, apparently from nowhere. While I can't be 100% sure of his story, it was clear that he'd been well taken care of, as he was far too healthy to have been out there for long. It's safe to say someone had recently dumped him outside, probably after a Halloween party. Had he not come to our house, he likely would've died soon after, whether from starvation, cold, a predator, or something else.
    He's currently living with my family and his name is Sam. (Not the cat in my profile picture.)

TL;DR ANIMALS ARE LIVING CREATURES AND YEARS OF COMMITMENT, NOT DECORATIONS FOR YOUR HOLIDAY PARTIES.
    PLEASE SPREAD THIS MESSAGE.

2. Sarcastic Luck

Or, as animals will do, he slipped outside when someone wasn't looking. I can't tell you how many times one of the cats have slipped outside due to the door not latching properly.

3. thesharkamander

I guess it's possible. There were never any missing pet reports though, and we asked a bunch of neighbors and checked local shelters to see if anyone had coming in looking for a missing cat for the next week. No one ever claimed him.

Still, it's important to remember than animals aren't toys or anything, even if he did just escape from someone's house.

4. prism

I own a black cat and my sister has two black cats at her house. I actually never related the Halloween black cat superstition back to my own cat, and I know my sister adopted her two cats because black cats are least likely to be adopted in shelters.

Btw, cats get lost all the time, especially cats that are allowed to roam outside. The fact that the one you found was well fed means that he came from a caring home, at least caring enough to feed him/her. I hope you publicized that you found a cat...

5. thesharkamander

We asked neighbors, reported it to shelters, did those things.
    No one claimed him.
    I'd put this all in the first post but I can't edit it now.
    We waited a few weeks before we took him to the vet to get vaccinated and stuff.
    The vet said it sounded like he'd been dumped too.

6. Foxface

I own a black cat but then we adopted him and it had nothing to do with Halloween

Foxface

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People actually do that? I hope they don't claim to love animals if they only use them for parties and then give zero craps what happens afterward.