1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Oct 16, 2013.

1. person57

What do you think future generations will be like for gay people? Do you think they'll be more accepted or not? Why or why not?

2. Abbra

I think that each generation will get more accepting, but there are always unfortunately going to be that group that clings to their hatred in the same way that racists do. However, they will certainly fall into the minority. Coming out is also probably going to be less focused upon within society.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may go back and forth due to unpredictable turns of events (I imagine day-to-day racism wasn't as bad before the slave trade) but the march of progress seems to favor GSM acceptance.

4. 2112

I think it will only get better. Eventually it won't even be an issue and people will wonder why anyone was ever against it.

5. Siarad

It's hard to talk about visions of the future without sounding like you're trying to rip off Martin Luther Kind, but nonetheless I have a vision of the future where (as 2112 said) it just isn't even an issue. Children will grow up without feeling like there's a right or wrong way to be and when they hit puberty they will follow their own paths. Teenagers and those growing up will date people they like and, as time goes on, some people will find that they happen to only really be attracted to one particular gender (these are the people we currently label 'gay' and 'straight'), whereas some people might find they always find themselves attracted to and/or in relationships with people of both genders (the people we currently call 'bisexual'). None of this will be a major issue to anyone, so no-one will feel angst over the gender of their partners. Parents and those who care about someone will care most that they are dating someone they approve of... it will still be very difficult to convince parents that the man their son is dating is good enough for him, because parents will always be parents that way and in a way, that's how should be!

I genuinely believe that this future is entirely realistic and attainable but, like so many of the things we take for granted now (Civil Rights, votes for women, votes for the poor, etc) it does take quite some courage from those who fight for that along the way.

I am a science fiction geek and I often think it's like I'm someone from the future, who can see how obvious full equality for gay people is, but that somehow I've been sent back to this silly, ancient time of homophobia to help be part of creating the right future.

6. LILuke

I think as time goes on people are only going to become more accepting, particularly in places like the United States we are going to see a dramatic shift in coming years as our generation comes into its own and the older generation dies out. Amongst Americans aged 18-30 somewhere in the neighborhood of 76% are in favor of same sex marriage, which would lead me to think that a lot of the social stigma just isn't there amongst younger people. Someday when we're telling our children and grandchildren about what it used to be like they'll regard it with the same disbelief and shame that we do for the days of Jim Crow laws.

7. DrkRayne

I think in the future gay realtionships will be like interacial ones. people are honestly going to go. "what was the big deal" and everyone who protested and went against it will look stupid. Give it 40 years.