1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New country?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Nothing drastic at the moment, but I have a feeling I might one day decide to fuck this stupid little country and find somewhere civilised. Any ideas?

I need:

-Somewhere english speaking, or with degrees in english at universities. I don't mind learning the language, but I don't think taking a degree in it would be a good idea
    -Somewhere with affordable or free universities
    -Somewhere with gay marriage, lgbt protection and a nice open society

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    New Zealand? Australia has only the first requirement. :dry: I'm not sure about Canada.

3. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    come to scotland

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Sweden? Canada? I'm considering the latter myself :grin:

5. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sounds like Sweden. But university is only free is you're a citizen in a European Union country or Switzerland.

6. Hexagon

I am. Does sweden do english tuition at all?

I will, if scotland gets independance. Until then, I'd have to pay the damned £9000.

7. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    im actually planning on moving to england b/c scotland is shitty lol

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Canada is probably your best bet, even here in Montreal, there are two major English universities. Plus you get the French flavour and proper spelling of words like "flavour" or "colour", plus you have a picture of Queen Betty on our bills to remind you of home :grin:

Of course, you would have winter to contend with, but I remember that you like short days and long nights...

Of course there is LGBT marriage, an amazing gay village and a very liberal atmosphere.

#8 greatwhale, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

I want to live where there are Tulip Field as far as the eye can see and wear wooden shoes to protect my feet from the cobble stoned roads.

10. Techno Kid

Canada is probably one of the most LGBT friendly countries in the world, but postsecondary is ridiculously expensive. Quebec has a fair tuition though..but I think it's only for Quebec residents. Not sure how it would work for you.. greatwhale might know. :slight_smile:

11. Hexagon

England is shitty too. But no uni fees in scotland.

Why do you think I hate this shithole? I hate monarchies, and I'm not fond of overly long and unnecessary spellings either. Damned waste of disk space. Okay, well there is more to it than that, but those aren't exactly incentives. I checked out canadian universities, they seem too expensive :frowning2:

Maybe I should just move back to spain. I think unis are free there, or at least cheap.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's always New Zealand or Canada from what I've heard. Iceland is pretty fucking cool, although I don't know what percent of the population speaks English.

13. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm new to the world of university so I can only speak from very limited experience. I go to one of the largest universities and there are many international students. They have education in English from bachelor to PhD level. When I did my first (and so far only) exam about 1/4 took it in English.

I think all major universities offers education in English, but of course it's limited.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say Canada. I don't know how much a college education is, but that would be your best bet for getting a visa into Canada would be to be admitted into a university.

I on the other hand would be able to get into Canada fairly easily, but we'd need to get married first. If you're married to a Canadian citizen, they can sponsor you.

15. timo

Come to the Netherlands. We're quite okay.

Check. Quite some courses in NL are in English.

Not free, I pay about €1800/year, and I think it's the same for EU students. And we do have student allowances. Also, public transport is free when you're a student (though I'm not sure if the last two are for foreign students... you should read into that).

Check.

16. Northern

Sweden or Canada, Sweden has a better social safety net but I think Canada has better education system (not sure on the education bit) but I would say learn in Canada, than go to Sweden :slight_smile:

17. Harve

Scotland (I did exactly what you're thinking so I'm probably a bit biased). Or Sweden.

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2013 at 02:10 AM ----------

By the way, I'm not sure what your exact problems with England are, but don't expect everywhere else to magically be better. Nowhere's perfect and you could do a lot worse than where you are already (I think you mentioned where in England you're from but I've completely forgotten).

#17 Harve, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  18. Canada. Great economy, good schools, and open environment.

If you want to be in the U.S., then San Francisco or Los Angeles, California is a great place. San Fran is the gay capital of the U.S so that has the open environment taken care of. Los Angeles has a pretty open atmosphere as well. California has gay marriage and it's very open (but stay in the coastal areas, that's where it's open-minded). Most California universities have financial aid that is used by many students.

19. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Why do you hate your country? Is it the bad weather?

20. Hexagon

Weathers the best thig about it.

@Harve, I know nowhere is perfect. They just happen to have cheaper universities.