1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Job

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Projectfabulous, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Projectfabulous

So I'm at work and things just got a little slow and I was sitting here thinking about how much I love my first job. So, I was wondering, what was your first job? Did/do you like it? Why or why not?

2. Xochipilli

Always good to like your job. :slight_smile:

My first job was as a barista in a fake Starbucks. It was alright. Didn't like the customer service aspect. :lol:
    One particularly irritating customer tipped me in Jesus dollars.

I got to sample everything though. Really enjoyed the iced lemon pound cake. :love:

3. Siarad

My first main job was as a Receptionist in a mental health setting... I was 18 and on my first day alone I refused entry to a senior member of staff because they forgot their I.D. - In the end it got me a lot of respect and admiration from senior staff, (including the one I refused to let in) because it highlighted that the rules applied to everybody! For that reason (and many others) I really quite liked my first job and still do a few extra shifts in that area every now and again.

4. BlueLines

Glad to hear you like your first job! :slight_smile:

My first was a tenet at a car wash. It was pretty cool being able to work outside and being mostly self managed was a nice plus too. Some of the cars that rolled through where really awesome too. Customer service was always interesting, but I still managed to have a good time. My favorite part was getting to fix some of the equipment.

5. Jonathan

My first job was a waiter in a pizzeria/Italian restaurant. It was a pretty good experience. My co-workers were awesome, but whether or not it was a good day depended on the type of customers that came in. Some days I had incredible people who were friendly and generous. Other days there were people who were impatient and entitled which made serving them a complete hell.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First job: Co-editor for a documentary (still working on it)
    Got it in June 2013

Second job: Video editor/motion graphic designer for a Pro wrestling group in Chicago (still on it)
    Got it in August 2013

Third job: Video editor for an events startup company. Just turned in my first rough cut.
    Got it a couple weeks ago.

So you really could say that either of them are my "first job" since I was hired first for the first one, I turned in my first thing for 2nd one, and finished my first rough cut for the 3rd.

7. Projectfabulous

Side note: I work at a wine store and I do mostly the food for events and cleaning glasses and the store...(I get a lot of free food and yummy cheese)

8. Hiems

My first job was as a chemistry teaching assistant last spring. I enjoyed it because the work environment is not hectic. You answer students' questions based on worksheets, grade papers, and record grades online. It is rewarding to help students out. And sometimes I surprise myself because I can recall concepts learned years ago.

Because I enjoyed this job, I re-applied last Spring and was rehired. I'm planning to do it every year to have something to add to CV while making some extra money on the side.

9. prism

I worked at a Goodwill and I was the only employee who wasn't an ex-convict. It was an interesting experience, but the store was basically run like a prison. I still shop at that location, but now all of the employees are teenagers in skinny jeans.

10. method

I was a checkout boy for almost 4 years. It was a good job - got to learn how to talk to people, flexible hours, and I like scanning things

11. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first job was as a dishwasher at this fancy restaurant up in PA. It was also where I had my first *real* crush (who, it turned out, liked me, too :grin:). I actually liked that job, as shitty as it was. Worked with some pretty cool peeps (and some TOTAL assholes, but whatever).

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine was at McDonald's. I stress out in fast-moving high-pressure environments and was also pretty sick for most of that year, so I barely lasted four months.

13. KazTastic

Like so many other people, my first job was at McDonald's. I lasted a month before being sacked for being too slow.

My first real job was as a checkout attendant at my local supermarket. I lasted almost 5 years.