1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one else do their own car repairs?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Oct 18, 2013.

1. starfish

I've done quite a bit of work on my cars over the years. I enjoy doing it and I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do it.

I just finished replacing a coolant fitting on my z3 that broke. I thought it was going to be pain, as it is on the back of the head. Turned out to be easy and only me about 30 minutes.

I recently found out about this place near my hour that will rent out bays with a lift for $20 an hour. Which is awesome. There has been a lot of stuff I have done that would have been easier if I had a lift.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I know about cars is how to drive them...

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do simple things when I can. I've gotten to be a pro at taking the front end off my 2000 intrepid, with all the belt and radiator work it's needed XD.

Anything I know about repairing cars isn't because I'm interested, because for the most part I'm not. It comes from necessity. But fixing a problem yourself will save an absolute minimum of $100 that it would take to fix it in a mechanic shop.

4. Data

Data Guest

YES! I am in college for automotive technology. I will do anything and everything that needs to be repaired on my car. I don't hand my keys to anyone. I don't trust anyone but myself.

People should AT LEAST do their own oil changes. That's so simple and the lube shops SCREW people over by not doing the service correctly.

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have, begrudgingly, learned a considerable amount about cars out of sheer desperation. Over the summer both of my family's vehicles died, as well as the guy's who was helping us. So I learned how to do breaks, rethread a break caliper thingy, replace a starter, replace a solenoid, swap out battery terminals, and a bunch of other (simple) things. All while walking six miles to work each day (then hitching a ride home.)

Oil changes I've done. Tires I've done. Fluids I can check.

The van needed exhaust system work done, but the guy who inspected it did that. It needs body work too, so we're planning on working on that before winter. The truck needs a new oil pan, but that (supposedly) involves messing with the transmission.

I like how cheap it is to fix things myself. But half the time just popping the hood brings me near tears. I don't know why, but mechanical repairs always upset me and cause great distress.

6. Shiny Espeon

I can change a tire. And I can put more fluids in my car and not make it blow up. Otherwise, I tell my Padre he needs to fix my car. (because summat is wrong with it that makes it even more dangerous to drive than it already is) :icon_redf

7. Suffocation

I can start a car and turn it off. (And play the radio, lock the doors, roll down the windows, open the doors, and use air conditioning.)

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not much, but I have observed and learned a lot because my parents kept two very old cars that frequently needed repairs, an '88 Toyota Camry (same age as me!) and a ~'70s Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I have many fond memories of going to an old mechanic's shop (he was cheap but never in a hurry) and later going to my dad's college friend for repairs. Overall, this has really pushed me to look for reliability over any other factor whenever I decide to buy my own car.

9. starfish

10. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "YES! I am in college for automotive technology. I will do anything and everything that needs to be repaired on my car. I don't hand my keys to anyone. I don't trust anyone but myself."

This sounds so much like me a few years back that it's scary

"People should AT LEAST do their own oil changes. That's so simple and the lube shops SCREW people over by not doing the service correctly."

I have lived places that wouldn't let you work on your car in the parking lot at all. I'd take my truck down to get the oil changed and I'd piss the tech off. I'd sit just outside the bay (they won't let me in the pit) and I'm going 'did you replace the washer on the drain plug?' or " You skipped a u-joint while greasing the other side' or 'WTF!! Don't even think of lifting my truck by the shock mount."

Yea I may have to let you touch it but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch every move you make

11. Data

Data Guest

Yup, you got me there... HOAs and apartment complexes do forbid people from working on their cars.

I'm a rebel. Since my complex didn't let me work on my car, I parked WAY AWAY from everyone and worked on it at 3AM. :grin: Then I sold the car and got a motorcycle. I did the same thing, I'd go out at 3AM and do whatever I had to do. I had to change my oil, so I did it on the sidewalk in front of my mom's house at 3AM so she didn't know I was there. We weren't talking at that time.

Now that I'm moved back in with my mom, I can do what I want. It still kinda sucks because I only have a gravel driveway to work in. No garage, no car port, not even concrete! And the AZ sun gives me a serious fucking sun burn in the summer when I have to work during the day.

I don't blame you at all for pestering the techs. My mom takes her car for the free maintanence program she got when she bought her Mazda. I checked the oil after a service and it was 1/4" high on the dipstick. The coolant was 2" high in the overflow. I was pissed but she doesn't care. Whatever... I still draw smiley faces on the oio filter before she takes it in. :grin:

12. June Cleaver

Though I may be a woman, my training was paid by GM back in the late 80's early 90's. Then I worked for Lincoln Mercury for many years after that until I decided I had enough. Yes I can fix my own cars, sometimes I do and other times I pay the dealer. I am about done building the first mud truck for mike. I built the mild Ford 7.5 (460)power-plant from a engine I pulled out of U-pull it and am building the rest with as much scrap parts I can. So far it has been a fun project. I took my tractor and plowed him a mud hole to play in in our back field to really test it and it was worth all the trouble to see the shear joy it brings my redneck! Next I will build him a 79 flip front end and I plan on building a wild Ford 7.0L (429) for it's power-plant. Next after that will be a big block Chevrolet 4X4 mud truck. I may build him 4 or 5 before it is over. It is the best way I could think of to show what interests him matters to me. So I can do way more than just fix a car and be a perfect housewife. June

13. KazTastic

I can probably do my own work on my car, but since it was only built in 2009, I'd be worried that I'd mess something up. I did install the factory issue bluetooth sound system (more complicated than it sounds).

I'm thinking about getting a cheap shitbox, taking it apart, and fixing it up - but Dad probably wouldn't let me park it in the garage, and we have to share the driveway with the other units in the complex.

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unless it's something major, I do most of the repairs on my own. It's kind of a hobby.

My next repair will be fixing the fender on my Mustang.

15. Foxface

good golly can one of you come down and work on oth my cars?

I'll pay you in kindness and a nice home cooked meal...steak and lobster...or something else if you are veggie :slight_smile:

Foxface

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to change the oil on my old car before it was totaled. I cannot change it on my new one because it has a stupid skid plate. So, I can't change my oil without a lift. Other than that, I just do audio work and electric work within my dash. I've become good at fixing issues there.

17. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to tinker under the hood with the 1966 Mustang and my 1977 Suburban.

Frankly I open up the hood of the 2009 Saturn and see all of that stuff and I quietly close the hood.

I will change the oil, and minor stuff like that on the Saturn - no more tinkering - those things have way too much crap under the hood now days.

18. starfish

It is funny with all of the stuff I do, I don't change my own oil. Mostly just because it is so messy. If I had a lift I would be more likely to do it, as I could drain it directly into the disposal container.

I used to have a 4wd Ford Ranger and it had enough clearance that I could stick a small gas can right under the drain plug. That was convenient as I could just throw the can in the back of the truck and drop it off the next time I was in town.

Like others have said when I get my oil changed they don't do most of what they should do. So I have to keep an eye on them.

I live in an apartment and I just go to the top floor of the parking garage to do my work. Though I don't want to do anything major, as I don't want to leave the car in a somewhat disassembled state.

19. AAASAS

I'll do whatever my car let's me get too. Fucking hood is too cramped with shit.

Even my battery clamp is in a terrible posistion that requires like 1 ft extended socket wrench bits to get off.

Modern cars where made to be taken into the dealer because they positioned things in very cramped ways making it impossible for non-professionals to actually do any work.

Something with my serpentine belt crank is wrong, and if I had room I could've ordered a part and installed it myself, but it's fucking impossible to get at so I have to take it.

Even draining the oil is a bitch; my car doesn't have much clearance.

The only things I can do is change the battery, check fluids, check fuses and check cables, everything else is hidden away.

I can't even get to my alternator to check the voltage on it; I am have power problems rigvht now my car is eating up my batteries.

It fucking sucks, I could know how to do all this shit but my engine block is like two centimetres away from every part. I don't know how mechanics get in there and properly install things without taking everything out.

Also I can check brakes obviously but havent actually changed a disc, or even a tire, but as soon as I need to I am going to try.

The most major thing I have done which isn't even mechanical is buff and repaint my front bumpers deep scratches. And I actually did a professional job; I luckily was able to buy paint over the counter that matched my car exactly.

So I can do a bit of body work, and wish I could do more mechanical.

I can change head, brake and fog lights... ha ha not really anything though.

#19 AAASAS, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  20. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    One of the advantages of being in the Canadian army is that I am constantly fixing vehicles that are older than I am. As a result I can tackle pretty much anything that goes wrong on my 94 F250. Not that anything serious has gone wrong with it...that thing is a tank. But with a7.5 litre engine it is killing me for gas....200 or so km for every 45 litres of gas...brutal...

My windshield wipers don't work...and for the life of me I can't figure that one out...I drive with a squeegee.....:eek: