1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Cough Cough] Your cure for the Cold [Urrggh]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by InaRut, Jun 5, 2008.

1. InaRut

So, leave it to a Canadian to have a cold in late spring (It's a joke. I know you can get a cold anytime). That's right I've got myself a wicked cold that can go from just little coughs to feeling like utter poo back to little coughs. Mainly when I get to work I'll feel really bad but I'll take a few advil and it's back to wheezing and people saying, "Phil you don't look so well."

I've had it since Sunday, which I felt really sick. And now it's been like a rollar coaster of illness (even without taking any advil).

So, what's your cure for the cold EC? Chicken Noodle Soup and Ginger ale?

Me. I usually stay home for the day and watch Clint Eastwood/James Bond films with nothing but orange kisses and soup (brought to you by Mom). Now normally I would stay home but 1) I have to work to get money 2) I usually feel able bodied enough to go to work but the minute I start breathing the factory air it's like...BLAARRGGH.

2. Bryan90

Phil, I have a feeling that it's the entire night/evening/morning shift thing.. it's screwing up your immune system..

I haven't got "seriously" sick for like 2-4 years already.. so I don't quite remember what I did to alleviate the ailment.

Honestly I think you should just take a week off to recover.... it's not worth the money..

3. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    hm alot of Ginger ale will do the trick

4. Helen

Helen Guest

Poor Phil! :frowning2: *hugs a lot*

Right, this will probably be the most disgusting cold remedy you've ever heard in your life, but it works, it really does.

Basically, what you do, is boil an orange, don't peel it or anything, just boil a whole orange in a saucepan with water. Then eat the whole thing, INCLUDING THE SKIN. It tastes absolutely revolting, but it honestly does help.

If you're coughing lots, put a little orange squash in a mug, then fill it with boiling water, and add lemon juice and honey. That always helps me, when I have a cough, I sound like a...walrus :grin:

Hope you get better soon! (*hug*)

5. InaRut

That's definatly not it. Hahaha my brother did like 12 hour shifts and the only thing he got was a spot on his lung. Which is kinda serious. But...I doubt the factory work is messing with my immune system. Seems a little far fetched to me. It's just a little cold.

6. Hoppip

Umm... I guess sometimes I try to do a mind-before-matter kind of thing. I try to make the cold seem more trivial then it actually is, or doing something to take my mind off it (like a Sims binge or something). And I love drinking just nice plain water.

It usually is worse if you percieve it to be worse. And I'll admit, that's easy for me to say because I'm NOT sick, but it might work. : D

And blow your nose a lot. I go through tissue box upon tissue box until I reach toiler paper rolls just so I can have that 10 minutes of sinal relief. It works wonders. <33

Good luck!

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boil an orange?? Interesting...I'll have to try that one day, next time I get a cold.

8. InaRut

Very intresting. Especially eating the skins. I actually don't feel to bad right now. But that could change the minute I set foot in that factory. I think I might have recovered. And sorry Bryan. I think I sounded a little mean with my response to your comment. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound that mean.

9. Hoppip

I'm not Bryan but... you're sick. It's okay to be mean.

Infect other people so you don't feel so bad. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. InaRut

I like that! Lol!

11. Bryan90

Aww phil.. you know me enough to know that I don't get offended THAT easily...

And Sean is right! You're sick... so you better utilize all your privileges before you recover.. :icon_bigg

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My cure is kind of a strange one, but it works.

Let the cold win.

Seriously. Once it's obvious that it's not just a small case of the sniffles - you start coughing or sneezing a lot, your voice starts to go, you get achy - concede defeat.

1. Take a day or two off from work or school.
    2. Stock up on fluids and "sick foods" - ginger ale, popsicles, chicken soup, whatever you like when you're sick.
    3. Put an extra quilt on the bed, and get in.
    4. STAY THERE.
    5. Do as little as possible. Don't play video games or futz around on your laptop. Keep TV to a minimum. Turn your cell phone off. Reading's fine.
    6. In fact, it's a good time to pull out all those favorite books that you've been meaning to re-read.
    7. Sleep as much as possible. Some cold medicines give you a hand with that, others don't. Whichever.
    8. You'll probably get bored. Deal with it. Stay in bed. :slight_smile:

Usually after one day, I feel much better. Some of the symptoms might still be around, but I can handle them. On rare occasions, I need a second day in bed, but not often.

Lex

13. Louise

Nothing will cure a cold but vitamin C will help alleviate the symptoms. All citrus fruits and kiwis are very high in vitamin C. If you don't like fruit you can always take vitamin suppliments.

A cold will usually burn itself out in 7 days but in the mean time you can treat the symptoms. If you possibly can taking a day off and spending it in bed relaxing or sleeping can make you feel a whole lot better simply because you body is rested and can fight the cold germs better.

You don't say what your job is but if it is something standing up or moving around I am not surprised you feel worse at work, your body is ill and tired and you are asking it to work!

Working shift work can cause physical problems because you sleep and eat at different times and your body doesn't know wheather it is coming or going and you become more prone to infections and illnesses.

Now to bore the pants off you; In a study done in England with 200 university students 100 sat for 30 mins with their feet in buckets of cold water and the other 100 kept their feet warm. The 200 students were then all put in a room and the cold virus was pumped throught the air vents. 60% more of the students who had sat with their feet in cold water caught a cold compared to the others.

Why am I telling you this story... to bore you out of insomnia maybe? NO! To show you that sometimes it doesn't take much to make our bodies more vunerable or more susceptable to illness.

Take vitamin C for the cold, honey for your sore throat and some eucalyptasy type thing to unblock your nose and then just ride it out. *hands Phil a hanky and another packet of advil*

14. Poring

Lol the orange treatment sounds.. nice.
    Wonder if it works as a snack too XD

oh, and lots of fluids and rest!

my mom always tells me to keep drinking water (no sugary stuff), so I can flush the virus/bacteria out of my body though peeing a lot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: