1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Valerie, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if this is in the right section of the forum but I have an important question!

So I am currently working in a grocery store and I want to quit my job to find another one. Do I risk to get fired if I mention my boss that I am looking for another job? FYI I am syndicated.. does that change anything? Can this protect me from getting fired?

I told my boss that she gave me too many hours last week and that I asked for no more than 15 hours a week. So she told me that we'd discuss it so I can change my disponibilities and that I would be on the bottom of the list (I would be the one with the less hours a week even though I've been working there for much more time than others).. So I want to tell her that it's not necessary, since I'm looking for another job. Can I tell her that? Or shouldn't I? (remember, I am syndicated if that helps anything). Does she have the right to fire me for that reason?

Do I make any sense? Thank you for taking the time to read me :slight_smile:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I wouldn't mention to your supervisor/manager that you are looking for another job, at the moment. Your boss would not have the right to fire you based on you looking for another job, but it could have an impact on how she views your commitment to the job, even if it is just 15 hours a week.

Remember, that when you apply to a new job and you get an interview, and are asked for references, most new potential employers would want you to provide a reference from your last employer - and that means: a reference from your supervisor/manager. If you tell her, you are looking for another job now, she can take from it that you are not committed to your current job. And if she is asked during a reference check "is [name] committed to her work/employer?" or any similar questions and if she says no, guess what? You are not going to get the job, no matter how well you did in the interview.

While you look for another job, and wait to get an interview, take the time to think about how you could leave things on good terms, so that your boss will come to you and say 'I'm willing to give you a reference.'

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best to keep them in the dark; your life is your business and your current manager doesn't have to know. Once you have another job lined up, put in your 2 weeks notice and tell them adios. :slight_smile:

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it's usually best to avoid any indication you might be leaving until necessary, like getting the reference as mentioned.

5. Hrantou

I will echo what other people have said to nail it home, because I've seen it happen.

Don't mention you are looking for another job to ANYONE where you work. It will get around, and it will have an impact on your future employment there. You never know, you might not find another job, then if your boss finds out you've been looking...you might be outta luck. I've seen it happen to multiple friends.

Go to work, work, then leave.

Just a word of caution :slight_smile:

6. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advices ! Really appreciated :slight_smile: I wont mention it to her then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.