1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boycotting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Siarad, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Siarad

I read a post elsewhere in the forum that mentioned boycotting. I have often thought that boycotting is not done enough in modern times and it often feels like people have forgotten the power that being a consumer has on companies.

The big one I think of is Nelson Mandela because my parents have described how a big part of Nelson Mandela finally being freed came from so many people boycotting South African products and how when he was finally freed they and others were rushing to the shops to buy South African products just to make a point!

The global economic situation makes it harder for people to boycott things on principle if they are the cheaper option and people are on a tight budget. My aunt, who is very wealthy, boycotts Tesco and other big supermarkets and has criticised my family for shopping there but it is a lot harder to boycott a very cheap supermarket if you don't have much money. My parents boycott ASDA because of their anti-union policies but I'm not sure what I'd do if they were the cheapest option.

So I'd really like to see more boycotting, especially as capitalism and companies seem to rule the world and have more power than governments but I can see the challenges in boycotting so I'm interested in EC members experiences...

Have you ever boycotted something? How successful was it?

What would be enough to prompt you to boycott something?

2. Data

Data Guest

I boycott stores that don't allow firearms into their shops. I don't buy from them and I actively tell others to avoid them. Buffalo Wild Wings is one of those, and I tell anyone who will listen. Starbucks now recently has me speaking out against them.

I don't need much to boycott a company or tell others to go elsewhere. I STRONGLY believe in the power of the dollar. A company exists to make money. Stop buying from them and cause their profits to stop rolling in and you have them by their balls! They'll change or go out of business. The hardest thing is trying to get people to stay consistent and not cave. You have to maintain the boycott until something changes, otherwise it's useless.

3. Foxface

Agreed Data. It's the only thing left we can do as a community in this world of rich fat cats who control us with the almighty dollar

Foxface

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ironic this should come up now...

The grocery store employees of the 3 major chains here (Kroger, Safeway, and Albertsons) are slated to go on strike effective Monday evening. I plan: to support employees, will not cross picket lines, and take my business elswhere. (Some "elsewheres" may not meet the union recommendations, of course, like non-union stores like Trader Joe's.) I have requested fair contracts, and been in touch with all 4 stores (3 chains, but Kroger owns two stores in my area) to let them know my position.

We'll see what happens...

I'm sure thanks to the wonders of Internet petitions that I've pledge to avoid other places...but this is the first time in memory that I may have to take a strong stand. Face it: it's easy to pledge to boycott Chick Fil A when there are no stores in the area, and the last time I ate in a fast food place Bill Clinton was still in office....

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you, but I'd be in reverse concerning guns in shops.

6. Siarad

7. Hexagon

Have you ever boycotted something? How successful was it? Meat. Well, I started 18 months ago, and I haven't stopped.

What would be enough to prompt you to boycott something? I wish I were able to boycott more things. Part of it is money, and part of it is just not wanting to make my life hard, which is something I'm ashamed of.

Also, RUSSIA. I think we need to do something about it.

8. Data

Data Guest

9. Siarad

Hexagon and Data - definitely agree on Russia. I think the Olympic boycott is especially important - if countries' governments agree to attend an event that was created to promote communication and tolerance in a country whose government is committing acts so opposed to those themes then there is absolutely no point in the event.

10. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I quit drinking ROckstar after finding out its owned by the son of Michael Savage, the hatemonger extraordinaire. I can't bash on his drink, because I was addicted to it for years, after all, and it did propel me to finish lengthy workouts and it became a fixture of my diet when I was in college because it helped me stay awake, both during boring lectures and when I was pulling all-nighters. I used to drink one everyday, before doing anything else, and unlike other energy drinks it worked and I felt revitalized for the rest of the day. As a product, it's awesome - But I quit cold turkey, haven't even craved it one bit, just like I don't miss ID or any of the other channels owned by Discovery Communications.

How did I drink Rockstar without realizing it was owned by such a bad person? All this time...my money's been paying the son of a hateful fascist.

When I protested against meat, I like Hexagon, didn't look back and to this day I can honestly say I don't miss milk or meat or any other cruelty. My strategy before going vegan was to go vegetarian for a couple weeks and move on to veganism from there. About halfway through the first week, I was drinking a milkshake, then I suddenly spat it out, tossed the milkshake in the garbage and went vegan. I didn't want to eat cruelty.

By the way, I don't know for sure if Savage is really a fascist or if it's all a show. Either way, I think he's profiting off suffering and that makes him a bad person who I shouldn't be supporting in any way.

#10 AtheistWorld, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't eat at Chick-fil-A or buy any product associated with Koch Industries, the people who fund the Tea Party

12. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    If I weren't a vegan then I'd boycott them too. Fuck Chick-fil-a.

#12 AtheistWorld, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  13. tulman

Check your 401s. Good chance many of the profitable corporations on your shit lists are wisely invested in. And they provide good jobs to millions of people. Jeff Immelt isn't one of my favorite people but that doesn't make GE a bad investment. And Dan Cathy is not going to compromise his values because some of you won't buy his chicken sandwiches. Besides he's only stating his personal views, not company policy. Where's all the tolerance you demand from the rest of the world? Oh, I see, that's different.
    When Jimmy Carter refused to participate in the Olympics the only ones hurt were the U.S. athletes who trained for years and missed out on the opportunity of a life time. Yeah, I know, he made a statement. BFD! You think the Russians gave a shit?
    Just playing Devil's Advocate.

14. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why would you want a gun in a shop? Who are you going to shoot? I never understood america's on this issue. Gun are for killing people, killing people is illegal. Yet guns are legal ? Makes no sense. Yes I understand people taking a gun to a gun range or a hunting area. But a restaurtant. I'm sorry but I don't want to sit next to someone holding a AK-47, I would find it hard to eat my food.

Anyway boycotting only works when lots of people do it. Which can be difficult to organise.

15. Data

Data Guest

Wow, I'm trying furiously to keep my composure...ok here you go.

In America we have the 2nd Amendement which promises the people the RIGHT to own and bear arms. It is for the defense against tyranny and bad men.

Killing people actually IS legal here. That is, when they try to kill you first. If a men broke down my door right now as I type this and pointed a gun at me, my Arizona Castle Doctrine right is to shoot that man where he stands within my living room without retreating or saying a word. It's my right to life and liberty to not be killed young by a murderous individual.

People have the same rights in public here in AZ. I can open carry my revolver and go about my public business. If I'm attacked out and about, I have the right to kill the attacker. I also have the right to intervene and kill an attacker on behalf of a third party. As long as a reasonable suspicion is had that you or the 3rd party is about to be killed, raped, or maimed you can use deadly or physical force to neutralize the threat.

For the record, nobody takes an AK-47 to defend themselves. If a person does that, they're proving a point. It's legal to open carry a long gun here in AZ. I'm not worried when I see people with guns because mine is always close by.

I have boycotted those shops that don't allow guns because I refuse to be disarmed simply to patronize the company. In this market we have competition. I don't like Starbucks so I go to Dunkin Donuts, and I don't like Buffalo Wild Wings so I go to Wing Stop. I can take my gun in both of those places.

Even when I went to pride a week ago, I placed my pocket knife in deep concealment and snuck through the front door bag checkers. The frisk they gave me was terrible, so my knife was not detected. The sign said no guns, so I took a knife. I'm NEVER without a weapon of some kind. I'm very glad I had that knife because while we were inside two DRUNK guys came up and started telling us how much they hated gays and how we should all be killed. I walked away and let them do the same. I'm just glad I HAD my knife and didn't need to fight with it.

Point is, the right to bear arms is 100% written in stone, bad men exist who want to hurt you for many reasons one in particular being that you aren't straight, and if he doesn't die or cease to attack you you will die and he'll just go to jail. I hope you see the logic involved here, as well as our laws and societal norms. Guns are not just for killing people, they are for saving innocent lives, protecting unborn children, and preventing the rape of women who are trained to use them.

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2013 at 11:37 AM ----------

This just scrolled across my Facebook newsfeed. Jelly Belly is anti-LGBT. Even jelly beans are bannished from my house now! Madness.

https://www.change.org/petitions/tell-jelly-belly-chair-herman-rowland-sr-to-stop-hurting-kids-2

16. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I think if someone points a gun at you first which will happen if you get attacked by someone with a gun then you won't be able to get your gun out. Also to use a gun you have to be trained or else you will just panic and shoot the wrong person. It's the point of armed police. I suspect that the number of innocents saved by people having guns is out weighed by the numbers killed due to the easy access of guns. Whether those be people who want to kill or are someone who just paniced.

In america there has been quite a few school shooting in the UK there has been none. Why because it's difficult to get a guns here. So not any physco can get one.

Also whos cares about the consitution it was written before machine gun and semi-automatics were even thought of. Back then it made sense to have a gun as it was more danagerous times and having a town full of armed people meant they could defend themselves. Now we have police.

If there was a dictator in your country then he has the army. Your not going to be able to overthrow him especially with the massive army you have in the US.

17. tulman

I wasn't going to get sucked in to this one but I've never seen so much wrong propaganda being spread in a long time.
    Data speaks as a free American CITIZEN.
    Gibson 234 speaks as the SUBJECT of a monarchy.
    An unarmed population is made up of subjects.
    An armed population is made up of free citizens.
    The police will protect you, yeah right. A cop is minutes away when seconds count. In rural areas much longer than that. The courts have ruled that cops have no legal duty to protect you. Ask those 3 women who sued when the cops didn't respond to a 911 rape call. They lost. Don't believe me? I could give you the details but you'll learn more if you look it up yourself. The reality is the cops will come, draw chalk lines around your dead body and fill out the paper work.

"I think if someone points a gun at you first which will happen if you get attacked by someone with a gun then you won't be able to get your gun out. Also to use a gun you have to be trained or else you will just panic and shoot the wrong person. It's the point of armed police. I suspect that the number of innocents saved by people having guns is out weighed by the numbers killed due to the easy access of guns. Whether those be people who want to kill or are someone who just paniced."

Where do you get this stuff? Armed citizens protect themselves many times every day. Innocents are very rarely shot by lawful gun owners. That's undeniable and one of the reasons citizens of all 50 states can choose to carry a weapon for protection. Granted, it's tougher in some states than others but it's now allowed in all 50.
    I don't know anyone who wants to shoot another person. A gun is like a fire extinguisher. I hope to never need it but it will come in very handy if I do. I also want the freedom to choose whether to die as a free man fighting back or cowering in fear and begging for my life to be spared.

18. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

So we have the police. Police have power. Power corrupts. Who's to say if the guy holding a gun is the guy you want holding a gun, just because he's uniformed?

19. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey, I'm not a mod or anything, so please forgive my audacity but..

Why don't we start a separate gun control thread and let people talk about the matter at hand here - boycotting?

I boycott products of a certain country, for abrogation of human rights and many other things.

20. Data

Data Guest

There have been SEVERAL of these gun control threads in the past. It still comes up out of the blue.

I apologize to the original poster because I disrespected the thread and engaged Gibson in a debate that doesn't belong here. My passion got the better of me.

As for Gibson, we're so far from each other here we might as well be in different dimensions. I can't argue with you because it will do no good. Only first hand experience will lend to change a concrete opinion, and you'll come to a situation out of the blue one day that will click. "This is what Data was talking about. I see what he's saying now." Hopefully the situation will be minor. It took a car accident to change my driving behavior. Most people that come to me wanting firearm training (yup, I'm trained and proficient) have experienced a break-in or burgalary and want to arm themselves. I don't think the doors are different in the US that lend to being kicked in easily, so I have to assume other countries have B&Es just like we do.