1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of the word "fag"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by insidemymind, Oct 20, 2013.

1. insidemymind

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey guys! This is just something I've been thinking about lately and I'd love to get everyone's opinion about it. Let me first state that I hate the word "faggot". I hate when people use it in a derogatory way not only to members of the LGBT community but to anyone this is perceived to be different in some way. However, I have some gay friends that use the word and when rappers like Eminem use it I'm not usually that offended because I don't think it's specifically being used to foster hate towards the LGBT community. So, how to you guys feel about people in the LGBT community using the word "fag"? Do you think it's a way to lessen some of the stigma associated with the word or do you feel like the word is hateful and derogatory and shouldn't be used under any circumstances?

2. Aarin

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that the word 'fag' is like the word 'nigga'. You can say it if you're a part of the community, but if you aren't then you're racist/homophobic. I personally don't care if you use the word fag/nigga, as long as the person uses it in a jokingly way and not in a derogatory way. The way Eminem uses the word in his raps is a bit different from what you're. talking about though, because in Eminem definition, 'faggot' doesn't just refer to a gay person. It refers to a person that he doesn't like, like the word 'dick'. If you call someone a 'dick' then that doesn't mean you hate penises, right? Plus Eminem has repeatedly said he isn't homophobic and actually supports marriage equality. He even played with Elton John!

3. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I dislike that word. However, others can use it if they wish. I have no problem if they want to stain their tongues.

4. QueerQueen

I can't help but take a little bit of offense in the word, some of my friends say it (not directed to me) but I know that they're not homophobic because they accept me. I guess it just depends, if its directed to someone who is homosexual and in a spiteful way then yes, if its a joke I take it a little less negatively.

5. insidemymind

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    These are all really interesting thoughts and viewpoints. And I agree that if someone uses the word "faggot" they should either be close friends with the person and using it a non-offensive way or they're both LGBT and using the word among themselves.

6. Hexagon

Can I just say thank you for not asterisking it out. I've seen that too many times here. I cannot stand self censorship.

Things are offensive if they are intended to be. No matter how many times I say faggot, it won't suddenly make me homophobic. That being said, the word seems rather crude to me. I don't use it, except in discussions such as this.

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I've ever heard it used in a positive way. Based on my experience I find the word rude and insulting and don't like it.

8. Beware Of You

In the US it can be as offensive as calling a black person the N word.

In the UK and Ireland it means cigarette

9. Destabilise

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk, id don't really care for it, if I'm joking about with a friend of mine I might say something like "King of the fags is here" or something, but mostly I use it when I say "popping out for a fag" as in a cigarette.

10. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't use hateful words like that except for in my fictional stories. If I use the words, it's cause there's no substitute for the hate that my characters go through. That word doesn't pop out of my mouth in regular conversation and I call out others if I see them using it.

It's almost always used in a homophobic context, so I only use it in fictional writing.

11. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As long as it isn't used to imply that being gay is bad, then it's okay.
    Words aren't offensive; it's how they're used.

12. Hrantou

I haven't used it or heard it for a long time...but when I was younger I used to say it when I was extremely angry or I REALLY hated someone. I stopped using it though.

I don't really care if people use it though. Its their mouth, not mine. They can do and say whatever they want.

13. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here. In my teens I used the F word, B word, R word and other hate terms liberally, but it wasn't done with bad intents; they were a part of everyone's lexicon.

Nowadays if I insults people I'm fastidious about not being homophobic, sexist, ableist, or body shaming, but I rarely insult someone unless they manage to really get under my skin. The more I practice my self-control, the more less angry I become. I still get sad and upset, but I don't get aggressive when I'm in those states, just quiet and sulky. Actually, it was practicing eliminating the hate words from my vocabulary that helped me learn self-control.

14. Sully

I over heard scummy teenagers on a train talking about a gay friend of theirs and one of them said 'its alright because he's gay, not faggot'. I take this to mean that they define a faggot as someone who is camp. So even it seems to have different meanings in different groups.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will never use that word.

16. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like it at all. I cringe whenever I hear the word but I don't express my dislike of the word.

17. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is so true. In my opinion I thinks its ridiculous to use the term at all. Even if you are gay and you say faggot it doesn't make it alright and I feel the same way if someone was black and constantly said nigga. If your gay and say the word faggot then in my opinion you have no right to get angry at anybody else that says it. Why demand respect if you can not even show your own self the proper respect.

18. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The word to me sounds so aggressive I don't really like the word and the way it is used is usually as a insult.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that fag is not a word we should be using with each other. People can choose to self identify as such or refer to others who self identify that way, internally. But I don't think we should really use the word.

Queer is better in my opinion.

I have felt the pain of both words directed at me, and fag is far, far more hurtful than queer.

20. Oxelotl

I'm fine with it, depending on the context. If it's used in a friendly manner or as a joke then fine. If it's used as an insult to demean someone, then I'll get offended.