1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Relationships v. Straight Relationships - How Different Are They?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hitgirl, Oct 20, 2013.

1. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So far I've only had boyfriends, but I want a girlfriend next time. I'm interested to know what the dynamics are of gay relationships, particularly lesbian relationships, especially from anyone who can compare it to a straight relationship.

I am struggling to imagine how I would fit with a woman emotionally and practically because I'm so used to the male-female dynamic - is it very different in same-sex couples, or is it pretty much the same?

I know every relationship will be different but I'm interested in hearing about your experiences. :slight_smile:

2. mvjp

tbh i think every relationship is very different and with all but one relation ship with a guy i very nearly married i have found my encounters ( only one or two could really be considered relationships) with women easier and more natural emotionally i found i was more nervous when i first got involved with a girl but at the same time it was easier to confront and deal with those nerves as i felt a lot less vulnerable i find also i feel less pressurized and more at ease and able to just chill with other women tbh i find myself becoming more and more homo romantic id say on sexual attraction im still around 50/50 - if you are more specific on what worries you maybe i can better help

3. Lipstick Leuger

They are pretty much the same, actually. Having been married to a male and now to a female. I find some of the same marriage issues the same. However, I also have found that gay relationships are more equal and with a woman, I have to be careful to not say things that hurt her, things that does not hurt a male the same. Males tend to be more logic based and it is harder to make your feelings known to them, but with a female, many things get read into, because this is what women do. It has been easier to split the running of the house and she talks to me before big purchases, instead of just going out to buy that huge flat screen tv. She does not stare at other women that are hot, because she knows this hurts. She also will do things before hand and before I ask, and with my ex, I had to ask for things to be done.

4. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Inside not much different.

How gay couples are treated compared to straight is remarkably different.

5. kawai

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well every relation is different in it's own way (much like the people themselves) I can only speak with past relationships. The only thing that would be distinctly different would be the looks off some people as you walked down the street holding hands... not to say everyone is a homophobic <closed minded> fool but some can be. Hope this helped! ~jordan

6. Hrantou

Many relationships have their own way of working, but at the core its still the same. Love, care, compassion...it's all there. Some gay couples choose to not be so open about it, for obvious reasons. That's the only reason I can think of.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

The difference is that straight relationships are boring and mundane while gay relationships are so awesome and fun and rainbowtastic. :newcolor:

8. brandonisi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, given I've never been in a real relationship with a woman I couldn't say from experience....but what I've learned from the 8 years (and counting) with my hubby, the dynamics seem to work fine. Neither of us fits into any gender role, we just do what suits us. I do the cooking, but that's because I enjoy cooking and I'm a great cook. He does the laundry because he's very particular about how to wash. At the end of the day, we're just an average couple with a spoiled cat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Colours

To me, women are easier to connect with on the emotional side. Men can be blunt sometimes, but I think that is also because gay men often think easier of relationships and therefore try less hard. Of course, men to men interaction may be easier because both are men, but sometimes that is exactly what causes the struggle - because knowing it is easier in a way makes them make less effort for it. I imagine that with lesbian relationships this is less the case, because they, as women, actually care about the emotional aspect - whereas with men it sometimes seems more like they pretend to.

I have dated girls and even though I label myself as fully gay now, I find that emotionally I fit better with women. They care about the emotional stuff that I find a lot of gay men do not. Maybe it is because I started with girls that I feel like I need that connection. The sex with the girls was not important to me (so I'm biased), and it was mostly the emotional aspect that counted for me. Now that I date guys it feels like that whole spectrum has flipped right around.

Aside from that, in my experience gay relationships are more of a big deal because they are not the norm. Which for me, in turn made it feel like more of a big deal. In the back of my head I was constantly having thoughts like "What would <person> think" or "Could we hold hands in this public place" thoughts like those sometimes get in the way. But I suppose those thoughts will occur less if/when you're fully out.

10. prism

They are very different if you conform to gender roles, but in my opinion, every relationship is unique.

The nice thing about having boyfriends is knowing that society expects them to take the lead. As an extreme extrovert, it was nice to have someone take the reins every once in a while. I've never been in a relationship with another woman, but I would imagine that the dynamics would heavily depend on each person's personality and how they relate to one another, which is true for any relationship, gay or straight.

11. Prairie breeze

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Since I'm a lesbian, I can only speak from my experience. Being in a relationship with a woman truly is more emotionally based. The connection is far deeper because you both genuinely care about each other's feelings (in most cases). If one is pissed off, it's important to talk about it.

12. DrkRayne

Egalitarian in certain ways...there are no gender roles so no one can feel forced to do anything or take on a particular role.
    I have a straight friend who feels bad that she doesn't cook for her BF. She can bake a mean apple pie, but the girl can't cook a meal.
    However in my house...my wife cooks because she likes to and can. I however do laundry because I like to and can.
    Equal sharing of roles. She kills the bugs and fixes handyman issues. I deal with electronic issues and anything that involves people.
    Gay relationships are more equal. There was a study done on it.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I always assumed they were more similar than not, with two people presumably in love, doing the same thing most couples do. You hear a lot about gender dynamics -- you're forced to learn how to interact with members of the opposite sex in any straight relationship, while in a gay one, which is supposedly "easier" since it's two men or two women, you have less support and examples to go by, making them possibly trickier to navigate. Of course, I say every individual and relationship is unique; in a lot of my straight relationships, I was the "emotional" one and she was always asking "What did I do this time?" How society views gay and straight relationships probably has a larger impact on them, in my opinion.

14. Ruthven

Yeah, I think they're less affected by gender roles, so it's more likely same gender relationships are gonna be more equal.

15. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all your responses, this is very interesting.

Thanks, it's difficult for me to put my finger on it, to be honest! Let me try...

I first Googled 'lesbian relationship dynamics' just out of curiosity and came across an old forum post on EC, where a load of people were talking about how in their relationship either they or their partner liked to take on the male or female role in the relationship.

I know, I know, it's some not all, but bare with me.

So, even in my male-female relationships, I can't say one of us took on the 'male' or 'female' role. I mean, it's the 21st century. Yeah, we both worked, then I did all the housework, but I also did some DIY, all the decorating and organised our finances (yeah, he was lazy, how did you guess). On big decisions we conferred or argued until we came to a decision. Neither took the lead on romance, either one of us might instigate doing something together or separately. I think I probably adapted to his lifestyle a bit more than he to mine, but they were pretty similar to begin with.

So, I imagine going out with a woman. Firstly, if she was like the women in the forum post I mentioned, she might expect me to go into a male or a female role? Well I'm not sure that even happened in my straight relationships (except for the initial pursuit), so why now?

I know what you're all going to say - well duh, obviously most gay couples don't do the male/female thing, the whole point is that we're NOT the opposite sex. But I am struggling to imagine what it would be like to not have that male/female dynamic... like, what am I going to roll my eyes at and nag about now? ;o)

I'm just being crazy, aren't I. It's just gonna be two people, with all their differences and similarities, figuring out how to be together. Lol.

As for meeting a woman, that's a whole other kettle of fish. Despite being assertive, having a career, etc., when it comes to meeting men I usually just flirt a little, bat my eyelashes and wait. Guess I'm gonna need a new method :slight_smile:

Great to hear all your posts though, keep 'em coming, I'm looking forward to being with a woman even more now. Yay!