1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you meet your same sex partners?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Islander, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Islander

Was it mainly at LGBT events? Was it through a dating site? Was it through friends?

I have a slight problem in that I suffer from femme invisibility. My appearance and mannerisms are stereotypically very straight, but I am a Kinsey 6 and people rarely even question my sexuality. As a result, I have been hit on by many guys but no girls, and so I have never had a girlfriend.

So I'm curious - how did you meet your girlfriends/boyfriends, particularly if you don't appear stereotypically gay?

2. George

I met him on an internet forum (not a dating one). He read some of my posts and saw that we share a lot of similar interests, so he PMed me and we started talking. The rest is history. :slight_smile:

I really do think internet is the ideal way to meet people these days. It lets you get to know the person at a comfortable pace without being overwhelmed by the social dynamics of dating in person. Considering 95% of the people you are attracted to in your daily life are heterosexual, it is really difficult to find someone who not only is gay/lesbian, but also shares similar interests/hobbies and actually has an attractive personality. The internet lets you apply all these dating "filters" right from the start. So in many ways it's more efficient and it allows you to more easily find someone that might truly be yours for life.

Of course the internet has its obvious drawbacks, and it might not work for everyone. I can't say much about the more traditional methods (clubs, bars, etc) because I never tried anything like that. I get uncomfortable in those sorts of environments, so it never seemed practical for me.

3. Destabilise

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met mine through my friend at school, I was quite close with him and we'd always chill out, anyway I finally met the family and it turns out his older brother is gay. It didn't faze me until I began developing feelings for him and eventually me and him began talking, facebook adds, meeting up in general without my friend, then one night he invited me over to chill and he asked me to be his boyfriend so I was all yeah go for it.

4. mvjp

theres alot of pride event etc in england 2 of my mates met their partners on canal street (manchesters gay village ) my friend danny met his bf at uni on his dance course and one of the women who works as a manager at my gym and her gf met as they are on the same football team - they are both very, very femme and girlish in manerism - i met my ex gf in a club not a gay club but although im very femme im less inhibited about my sexuality on a night out i have met flirtations on line and in gay clubs but havnt entered relationships with them - mostly coz i havent been in the right frame of mind for one lately . sorry for the lack of punctuation - all the best - meg x

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Met him in school my freshman year of high school.

6. Lipstick Leuger

I had that also, as a Femme. I actually had a Butch once tell me she could tell I was straight becuase I talked to the guys at the bar. These were gay guys BTW, and I also have many guy friends. The easiest way to get that put to rest is to frequent one or two gay bars, and let it be known that you are a lesbian. The community is not large and word will spread.

I did this and it took a year or so, but I had dates after that. I did meet my wife online however, and we didn't meet for a date, only for coffee as friends.

7. June Cleaver

Well as everyone knows by now, I met Mike through my ex. He is my ex's 1st cousin, so I kept it in the family! LOL! Hay, no shame because love is so rare and I am the luckiest woman alive because I am the apple of his eye. June

8. SilentCreatures

Met through an internet dating site.

I was shutting down my profile and during the process he contacted me. 10 wonderful years later still going strong.

My best friend found her partner the same way.

9. Siarad

Are there?! I think there are some pride events in England but only maybe a few in the big cities. Maybe I'm just being very naive.

Also, you probably need to be out to go to a Pride event...

10. QueerQueen

Don't have one, but the last girl I liked who also liked me back I met through a friend of mine that came to a party I attended. Then the topic of my sexuality came up, and she smiled and said she was pansexual and gave me a hi5 which I admit was pretty lame, but she had a really nice personality and I developed a crush which I later found out she also had one, now were just friends, even though I still have an attraction towards her, but people think were together, because were pretty close.. we hug each other and she calls me babe and we flirt. Maybe it'll be the right time in the future, but right now it's not.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We first met when I believe I was a junior in high school and he (Nik) was I think a senior. I believe I was invited to go to a BlogTv show by my friend Lee who was a chat mod I think and Nik happened to be the host. It turned out he was also a mod for Lee's shows like myself but we never knew it. We started talking for a while and we became good friends. Time went by and after we came out to each other, that bond got stronger and we went out.

One breakup and some months later, we got back and we picked up where we left off. Things couldn't get better than this.

12. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I live in a small town in England and even we have a Pride event. Don't know how reflective that is of the country as a whole, but it's definitely spreading :slight_smile:

13. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We lived on the same street together for years. Then we started talking online.

14. tex st

tex st Guest

George has a point. I know that people say this a lot --

setting (online or IRL) is important (i.e., I wouldn't necessarily look for LTR in clubs, though I did it in the past), or that that LGBT website is tailored for people you're after.

I'd encourage joining clubs something you're genuinely interested in, so if you happen to meet someone, you have stuff in common already! IMO, friendship is good whether is stays friendship or blossoms !

15. Hrantou

Currently single. But I met my last boyfriend my junior year of high school. We were forced together for a spanish project in class. We got to talking and found out that were both pretty immature yet we made each other laugh and we got a long fine. We would talk and hang out occasionally until a year or two later, we got together.

16. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met my girlfriend online. I look stereotypically gay but she didnt. I was actually really surprised when she expressed interest in me.
    She told me it was really hard for her to meet other lesbians because she had long hair and looked straight.
    There's really nothing you can do about how you look, just go out and talk to people.( even online) Express interest if you're interested. Usually they pick up on it really well.

17. Bolin

Online. Started out as good friends until we started talking more, and it progressed from there.

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Online, through a gaming forum. We knew each other for about a year, and then we hit things off for about three weeks. Didn't end as well as I'd like, but it was nice getting to know him. :slight_smile:

19. leer

I met mark at An Elbow concert last November with a bunch of gay friends he knows one of the guys I went with he noticed me I was a bit drunk .

20. tulman

Started out with adolescent experimenting. Then in the BRSTD years (before rampant STDs) it was gay bath houses & movie theaters. Also highway rest stops & beaches known as gay hang outs. Very careful selection of guys I met after that. Never advertised myself and very rarely answered ads in publications or internet. The few times I did were dead ends except once and it was very short term.