1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disrespectful Ungrateful LGBT Youth? New Generation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DrkRayne, Oct 21, 2013.

1. DrkRayne

So I’m on this other website, a lesbian forum where I predominately post about Rizzoli and Isles…and that is my guilty pleasure.

Well today I decided to take a browse around the other threads and see what was up.
    I was sickened, disgusted and really angry.

I came across one thread where the girls were downtalking Ellen DeGeneres and talking about her looks and being unattractive and how she probably isn’t that great etc.
    LIKE SERIOUSLY? That woman was instrumental in Hollywood’s acceptance of LGBT people.
    Another thread was them talking crap about subtext and queer baiting how apparently old people can’t identify a lesbian on TV and fall for queerbaiting. Old? Seriously?
    I cant go into all I saw…but I was angry. BEYOND angry.

I am literally disgusted at some of today’s lesbian youth. I don’t know about gay men, but it’s like they don’t have respect because they don’t remember when being gay was a CRIME. When we had NO representation. When stories like Matthew Shepard and Teena Brandon were the norm.

What is up? Are all LGBT youth under the age of 18 like this?

2. bannermanroadie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, 17 year old lesbian. I love Ellen. *mutters something about having a crush on her*

---------- Post added 21st Oct 2013 at 11:18 AM ----------

Also- link me to this forum.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I've never had the fortune of meeting that type. Most of the other LGBT people I've met have all been the complete opposite- since many came from communities that were somewhat, if not overtly, homophobic neccesitating the need to figure out identities and come out despite consequences. So many of them, good appreciation for progress. Some of my LGBT friends have been the most open minded and appreciative.

But from what you've described, this could be the one nasty side affect of more overt acceptance. Just as we may have women who'd say the same of Susan B Anthony, you add in not only a sense of entitlement common to everyone under 18 (I'm guilty, believe me) but a lack of mainstream education and attention to LGBT rights. When you no longer have to struggle for the basic rights those who came before have to fight for, you can lose your appreciation for the efforts they went to, even though in the long run that view's a sign that we've gotten to the point where we're as accepted and normalized in society as we are.

Sounds like they could use with a history lesson and some manners.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Until we have some consensus on our own history and the major actors in that history, and until it is respected as a subject worthy of being taught in schools, this behaviour is unfortunately to be expected.

They simply have no idea how bad it was and what courage it took to change things.

5. Zyanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. Hexagon

I'm sorry to say I've seen things like this. Not everyone, of course. But I went to a youth group last year for a few months. And everyone seemed so uneducated and callous about queer issues. Its part of the reason I no longer attend.

---------- Post added 21st Oct 2013 at 05:01 PM ----------

Unfortunately, that would be against EC's rules.

7. Miss Loopy

I was evaluating myself for a second, then I realised I'm now over 18 and actually class as an adult (lololol)

YEAHHHHHHHHH

8. DrkRayne

Yeah. I want to post the link...but I can't UGH!!!!!!! I know its not all youth but...its like...so many just don't understand.

9. MoyashiAlice

Well, this may be just me since I go to high school, but I think the new generation is okay. Throughout history, the older generations always look at the younger ones and worry about what the world is coming to. For example, a lot of people in the high school are looking down on the middle school kids and ranting about how dependent on technology they are.

Every generation has it's flaws. Yet, I don't think it's right to take a whole generation and label them as bad or disrespectful. As a teen even, I was treated coldly or like I didn't matter by adults since I was a teenager. Since some adults think "Teenagers of this generation all party and have no responsibility, etc, etc.

So, to answer the question I think it is probably the minority that acts the way you described, yet the things they say stick to your memory better. There are a lot of teens under 18 on here and I haven't seen any of them make such comments.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are right that there is something wrong with queer folks today. We don't understand our own history. Many of us also happen to think the struggle is mostly won or over, or we don't think our sexuality should be politicized or "that big of a deal." (Too bad, it is, whether you like it or not.)

There are exceptions, of course, but my general thought is that queer folks are not that engaged these days, because they can afford not to be (relatively speaking).

11. Hrantou

^ I agree. But I kinda just chalk that up to being young and dumb, for lack of a better term. They're young. They don't get what it's been like, or that we still have a long way to go. To them, finding a date for prom is way more important than equal rights. When they grow up, their views will change. Doesn't always happen, but with age comes maturity and knowledge.

Its not just us though. Many african american teens growing up these days have no idea what it was like just 30 years ago, or what their parents had to go through, and frankly, they probably don't care.

Just keep an open mind. The struggle is still on going and one day we will have what we are fighting for :slight_smile:

12. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They probably had it easier than compared to the previous generation.

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I worked with queer youth for several years, and while a few of them were obnoxious (as you'd expect for groups of teenagers), most of them were great. A huge common factor was how grateful they were to have a safe space and how much they appreciated the chance to speak out. Frankly, I find the idea that "young people as a whole are terrible" to be hurtful and offensive.

14. TheUglyBarnacle

As a queer person under 18, I have to say that I'm really surprised that there are people like that. I mean, badmouthing Ellen? Seriously?
    Not all of us are like that-I'm positive what you encountered is the minority. I do live in a homophobic country so that definitely has to do with my views but I know that the fight for equality is not even half-over.

15. Rivers

Youth lesbian here, and Ellen is a huge hero to me.... :icon_sad:

16. DrkRayne

I'm sorry if it seemed I was referring to young people as a whole. I didnt mean them all and I know a few youngin's who are good peeps.
    I did say I am disgusted at SOME of today's LGBT youth.
    So I do want to apologize if I offended people here. I in no way meant to classify everyone.
    I just wonder why some are so...horrible

17. Lipstick Leuger

Yes, they are. They do not have any idea what it is like to be afraid of holding your loves hand in public. They don't understand what it's like to be harrassed and bullied in school to the point htat your BF would not talk to you and you would get beat up all the time for being a "dyke' or 'fag'. They don't remeber how it was to not be able to have anyone on your side or be able to even complian about the harassment and get recourse. They truly have no clue.

18. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, we do.

Still happens.

Still happens.

We have much more of a clue than you might think.

19. arcchi

Youth lesbian here... And never had this kind of idiot thoughts.
    But think all the society are a little damaged. There are straight or gay or lesbian people with thoughts about their-something-self or about the world that just get me sick, just like this things this girls wrote....
    I dont know if it's cuz i get well just with the nerd side of the force, but i dont really get along with the most people of my age cuz i think the most of them just have idiot thought like this.
    So answering your question: youth nowadays (not just this lesbians ones) are like this; but there are exceptions.

And about we get easier now (that some people said in some comments), i dont know if it's cuz i grow on Brazil, but i dont think it's easier nowadays. People still are prejudiced or mentally limited for sexuality, it's not easy to assume our gay/lesbian side. The world need to grow a lot until this get easier.

20. LILuke

Thank you for standing up for the rest of the younger generation. I was getting ready to start typing a similar defense myself. I'm certainly not here to minimize what LGBT people in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and so on and so forth had to go through, as I know the stories of most people today cannot compare, but it's not as if the world has suddenly become perfectly accepting either.