1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JandD, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JandD

JandD Guest

Homophobia

Homophobia isn't a fear. Phobia is a fear. Homophobia is hatred. When you bully or harass someone who is gay, that is homophhobia. You are fearing them, you are committing an act of hatred.

Homophobia and unacceptance isn't just about someone ridiculing someone else because they are gay. This person may be homophobic for a number of reasons, which include: They were raised in a homophobic or religious environment, they are being homophobic due to peer pressure or they want to try and act cool and impress their friends, they are insecure about themselves, or they think that because they are supporting someone who is gay, that they are gay themselves.

Acts of homophobia are not just through words. They can also be through violence. Homophobic verbal abuse and violence leads to emotional and physical hatred in the victrim, self-harm in the victim, and thoughts or attempts of suicide on the victim. Homophobic violence doesn't just stay with you short-term. It stays with you long-term and it is hard to forget.

Homophobia has gotten better and people are become more accepting of others, but, we still have a long way to go. If we want to conquer homophobia, we all have to stick together and stand up for one another.

If you see someone who is being bullied because of their sexual orientation, stand up for that person. We can make a difference by helping one person at a time. If everyone in this world stood up for even just 1 person, it would be a better place. It would make a big difference. It show to the victims that they are not alone and they have someone there for them.

We need to educate the people who are doing the homophobia by educating them about the gay community and how gays are just as equal as anyone else in the world.

Do your part and stand up! Do not get caught watching!

Daniel :slight_smile:

2. TheOutsideLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I use to act slightly homophobic due to peer pressure, but now I know that I'm gay and completely happy. Yay! :grin:

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Homophobia is the fear that a gay man will treat you the same way that you treat women."

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a fear of femininity. It's definitely a real fear. The fear that you'll be seen as weak, unmanly, an outsider, wrong, pathetic. Feminine. Fear of being an outcast, losing your status as a "real man" leads to hate.

Homophobia is misogyny's little sibling.

5. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yes because gay women & misogynistic gay men do not exist

6. Techno Kid

^ This!

7. Hexagon

I think for the most part, homophobes are afraid. And hatred stems from fear.

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You've nailed it. It is like a competition between some straight people who can be the most aggressive towards homosexuals as though it will make them manly.

9. BiPenguin

I am sick to death of hearing about discrimination no longer exists. They should spend some time in our shoes.

Were they to have a quick trip in my shoes including a time travel adventure, they would find themselves discriminated against by the use of bullying(non-violent and violent) at high school for my knee operations which stopped me from playing sport. A life of copping crap for having tics due to having Tourette Syndrome where I have even had to respond to a few by putting them on the ground. Such as the bloke in his 50's who followed me while mimicking me. Being ridiculed and yelled at by employers during job interviews for my tics.

One of my first jobs after high school, people realised somehow that I am not heterosexual(I am not feminine in nature or looks) and found myself facing people trying to sexually assault me at work by attempting to grab my genitals, leaving me to physically block aggressors.

Back in the early 90's during the recession, I got prospective employees interested in me over the phone but as soon as they learned that I lived a ten minute drive past a town that the media loved giving unfair negative reports, I would be hung up on many times.

And in the lead up to Australia's recent federal election, I found myself having arguments with Liberal Party(conservatives) members who argued to me that employers should have the right to discriminate to make money including the discrimination of people for being disabled, their sexuality, etc.

I have had enough.