1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Nerdfighters UNITE!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Haze, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Haze

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello there, so I know that there have been a couple of threads about Nerdfighters and finding other Nerdfighters on EC before but none of them (as far as I could see) got very many replies. So, I decided to make this thread, not just to see who else on here is a member of our glorious Nerdfighteria but also to discuss how we, the Nerdfighters of Empty Closets, can reduce world suck in the LGBT community and naturally, the world at large. After all, reducing world suck is what we do best and lately I haven't really been seeing much mobilization for the reduction of world suck so... thoughts? And of course DFTBA!

Oh, and by the way, if you want to know what a Nerdfighter is... Google it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But the basics are, instead of being made of organs and cells and stuff we are made of awesome, we are nerds who fight, we do not fight nerds and we all live in Nerdfighteria and of course, we fight world suck. (!)

2. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Is that a eugenicist site?

"I have had nothing but bad experiences with this internet subculture. I received death threats, racism, transphobic comments from this group of people after posting a criticism of John Green's books. I have no respect for them left after this, nor do I have any for Mr. Green after it was brought to his attention and he did not speak out about it. For a group of people who are supposed to be about decreasing world suck, they have no problem being really mean to people who don't follow their same world view. After all, they are a culture built on saying that smart people are superior to people interest in pop culture. As though you cannot be truly interested in both.Considering Mr. Green has made comments about how teen girls are resources to be used by teen boys, I am not surprised. He is not the saint he is portrayed to be."

#2 AtheistWorld, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. Haze

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry, I haven't heard anything at all about this. Could you please send me a link or something to the full thing?

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry I have no interest in joining a racist, fascist, sexist, transphobic, ableist, classist website.

5. Haze

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not asking you to join anything, but I honestly haven't heard or seen anything negative to do with this internet subculture. Please, if this is a personal experience that you have had, I'm sorry, but I care very deeply about this and if it is at all possible I would like to have the full story.

6. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have dyslexia and I couldn't spell worth a darn when I was younger. You didn't explain what nerdfighters was (the site didn't either) so I went to the site and one of the featured articles was written by an elitist Bourgeois author who bragged about picking on her boss that couldn't spell.

Considering I got picked on for being a bad speller, I was reminded of bad memories from school. I don't think you should be linking to sites here that promote hatred against people with learning disabilities, much less trans people as the comment I quoted proves that it's not a group friendly to us.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2013 at 10:53 PM ----------

So is the aim of this 'movement' to turn nerds into the bullies? Is that what it's about?

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad you're able to feel a sense of belonging with such a label, but the whole thing seems very silly. And in any case where somebody uses it to feel superior to others, really immature.

That said, you'll never hear me badmouth people who self-identify as nerds. I'm one of them, and would prefer to spread the mindset around. Does encouraging literacy and lust for knowledge make me a nerdfighter too? o.0

8. Sarcastic Luck

...I found the article and it wasn't about "picking on her boss that couldn't spell". It was "repeatedly wrong use of their/they’re/there".

9. Haze

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am very sorry that you've been treated in such a despicable manner, and other people as well. Dyslexia is hard enough without people bearing hatred towards you because of it. I am so very sorry.

From what I have seen of the community it is full of open, caring people who have donated thousands of dollars to reducing poverty, fought for gay marriage rights and tried to raise awareness of important environmental issues. This is not me trying to get you to join, this is simply the image that I have been presented. Naturally I was shocked by your response.
    If you want a full explanation of Nerdfighters, at least as I have come to understand them, I'll be happy to give you one. But considering the appalling way you've been treated it's perfectly reasonable that you don't want anything to do with us.
    Thank you for making this clear to me. I sincerely wish you all the best.

EDIT: We don't bully anyone. As far as I've seen, it provides a community where people can be themselves without fear of being bullied.

#9 Haze, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  10. Fiddledeedee

Lapras:

A nerdfighter is someone who is a fan of the VlogBrothers channel on YouTube, run by Hank and John Green. They also have a number of other projects, and these combined with the large community around their vlogs form Nerdfighteria. The nerdfighters do a lot of charity and community work, and the fandom is very friendly and open. The "made of awesome" definition is only a fandom reference.

The word "nerdfighter" comes from an early vlog in which John misread "AeroFighters" as "NerdFighters". The point isn't nerds who fight people and become bullies; it's nerds who fight bad things in the world (e.g. poverty).

Finally, (A) John Green does not consider teen girls resources for teen boys, as shown in his numerous videos on romance, the friendzone, etc., and (B) the fandom is built on a love of things whatever those things are, not specifically a love of things outside the mainstream.

11. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait they fight poverty, but endorse meritocracy? Okaaayyyy.

12. biggayguy

I thought nerds were good at spelling. The first sentence in the article was about the guy "wrecking" his brain. I believe he wanted the word racking. I can't respect nerds like that.

13. Sarcastic Luck

Couldn't find anywhere where that was, though really, stereotyping much? That's kinda like saying that all gay men speak with a lisp or something similar.

14. LILuke

I cannot speak to your personal experiences, though I have personally found Nerdfighteria to be a wonderfully accepting place, but I can say that this is just patently untrue. Everything that John Green has ever said about the subject of teen romances has been the exact opposite of this claim.

15. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nerd Fighter here. Have you ever done a video for project for awesome? That reminds me that I need to come up with an organization to talk about for P4A. Did you hear about when Obama told Alice Green DFTBA and twitter exploded? Luke DFTBA

16. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think the person who said that would lie.

17. Sarcastic Luck

Lmao. People lie all the time.