1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about Straight Edge

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I used to be Straight Edge (no booze, smoking or drugs) but that went out the window when I was depressed. Now I don't want any of it again, I want to stop drinking, smoking etc. I was just wondering what people thought about it

2. AmityRanch

Go for it, I guess.
    Just don't be preachy about it.
    A lot of straight edge people have a habit of being preachy.

3. Ridiculous

Yeah there's this stupid superiority thing that comes with the equally stupid 'straight edge' label. It's also viewed as a novelty. If you don't want to do those things, then that's great. The fewer you do from that list the healthier you are (and less money you'll spend).
    But just don't do them rather than making a song and dance about not doing them.

4. AmityRanch

To be honest, I'd recommend you drop the label altogether.
    It's just such a smug title to give yourself.

5. Hrantou

I used to be the same way. I was never preachy...but I avoided it. Then in the later years of depression, I just said "f*ck it!" and did stuff. Alcohol...drugs...I was a hot mess. I got kicked out of high school in the end, and fell behind in my later studies. Nowadays I'm back on track, but I'm far behind where I should be. I'm not proud of it at all, and I regret it.

But hey, if you wanna stop...then do it! I highly recommend it. Once I got my act together, life got so much better for me. :slight_smile: Honestly I think being Straight Edge means a lot more when you've actually been through it and chose to stop.

6. prism

If you think you have a problem with smoking/drinking and can acknowledge that it's linked to your depression, then you have a problem.

There's nothing wrong with being straightedge. If you perceive it as just one of many personal qualities, very little in your life can change. One of my best friends in college was straightedge and had as much fun at parties as anyone who was drinking.

Good luck!

7. castle walls

I don’t smoke, drink, or do drugs either but I don’t call myself straight edge. At most, I’ll call myself a teetotaler. There's nothing wrong with avoiding these substances. I think things might be easier for you if you don’t label yourself straight edge though.

I’ve heard people say that straight edge refers to people that don’t smoke, drink, or do drugs but I was always under the impression that straight edge was a subculture of hardcore punk. To my knowledge, the phrase “straight edge” came from the punk band Minor Threat back in 81 and straight edge people usually had X’s or sXe on their hands or clothing. Did the meaning of straight edge change and I didn’t notice?

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I guess I fit the definition of straight edge, since I don't do those things. I've tried weed and booze (never tried cigarettes and I intend to never try them), and I can conclude from experience that they aren't for me. So I don't do them. That's the extent of how much I've thought about it.

9. tex st

tex st Guest

It's good to try out new things as long as it's for one's own experience, growth, and self-definition.

10. elel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's still used for punk rock people, but I've also noticed other people starting to use it.

11. Beware Of You

Er I am a punk fan :slight_smile: I know where the term came from !

Minor Threat, Black Flag, H2O etc. all on my ipod

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... unless those things are extremely addictive. I know a number of people who were straight edge and someone convinced them to try meth, or oxys, or cocaine "just once"... and that's all it took.

Not everyone will have that experience, certainly, but what we do know from the latest research about addiction is that there are a lot of people who are at much, much higher risk for addiction than others, based on very early-life experiences and their impact on brain chemistry, and there's no way to know if you're at risk. But if you never put yourself in that position... you never have to worry.

As far as being straightedge... I advocate it, but agree with the "don't be preachy" part. It's a personal decision. It's definitely the healthier one, but "healthy" isn't a priority for everyone. Just try and make wise decisions, whatever you do.

13. tex st

tex st Guest

Unless those things are extremely addictive, agreed! :slight_smile: I encourage personal growth as long as responsibility is taken and whatever experiment isn't harmful to oneself or their mates.

14. ScatteredEarth

That's pretty much my life plan, I HAVE tried weed once, and immediately gotten sick to my stomach, but that's pretty much the extent of my drug history. (inb4 insta-death)

15. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I never understood the "straight edge" label and the superiority complex that alot of people have by calling themselves that. If you don't want to drink or do drugs or whatever then don't.