1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious people on campus?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by angel626, Oct 24, 2013.

1. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So every year this group of very religious people come to my campus and condemn us all to hell. Now the first time I saw them was last year on my way to class as I passed by all I heard was people that get abortions are going to hell. Once I heard that I stoped and turned to see what was going on. I only stayed for five minutes because I had to get to class but within those five minutes I heard a lot ignorant shit come out there mouths. I was angry and judging by the crowd of people I wasn't the only one pissed off by these people. No matter just how much the crowd was telling them off the refused to leave; didn't see that they were not welcomed.

Well it happened again this year. I noticed again on my way to class; this time I heard homosexuality being shouted and I practically ran to see what was going on. Once I got to where they were I realized it was those people again. Just like last time there was a crowd of people telling them off. Well this time I joined the crowd and listened to what people were saying and what they were saying. I must say I'm proud of my fellow peers because they were defending people that were gay, but to no avail those overly religious people just kept going and going. Finally one of the people said if anybody would like to ask any questions you can now. Whoah the number of people questioning him was unbelievable; I heard questions such as what gives you the right to judge us, why is homosexuality so wrong when all their doing is loving someone of the same gender. No matter how good the question was they remained to saying your going to hell an god does not love you. After a while of them saying that I got frustrated and shouted "YOUR god does not love us but the god I believe in loves us all. The only person going to hell is you; not gay people, not people that have sex, or people that get abprtions." He just looked at me and said "god sent me to get you and everybody else to change your evil ways or else you are to be sent to hell." I was furious but since I had class to attend to I just replied "well I'll see you there."

These people piss me off. Their intentions aren't even to preach about god. Their just using god to get people angry enough to physically attack them so they can sue the university. Thats bullshit I wouldn't dare think about giving them a permit to be on campus but I guess the first amendment will always give them that right to preach hate. :bang:

2. Koler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They will try to tell you how.
    You must try to show them how.
    A man cannot be convinced by words
    He must see for himself the goodness or evil in the world
    Just show them love, compassion, joy, and equanimity.
    And be a beacon of light to those lost in darkness

3. Ticklish Fish

I'm sorry angel, but it's ok, in college hopefully you have so many groups that you get annoyed by every one lol.

I am personally annoyed by so many student organizations having so many bake sales and so many asking for donations. xD

I get puzzled a lot of times by "religious people who are sent by God to get other people". Like geez, God really sent a lot of people to voice his opinions.

seeing how he was shouting abortion stuff too, he probably get womens right or some democratic students against him. Keep an eye out on campus newspaper on this religious group for giggle maybe?

4. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh, I would have a field day messing with those people. It's just too fun and way too easy. :badgrin:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What my school usually does is have a peaceful protest against them. We make a wall between them and the students walking to class. There's no need to be harassed while you are walking to and from class.

6. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This makes me very sad as a Christian. Even before I admitted I was Gay I didn't feel what most churches preached on when it came to homosexuality. I wish more Christians would understand God is a God of love and not condemnation and he wants to bring hope to the hopeless.

I know that this is the same in my church. So when I come out I will most likely have to leave.

7. Amerigo

people don't like homosexuality because it doesn't fit well in their nazi-esque ideals of a "picture perfect" world.

8. DrkRayne

I saw that once on campus when i was in collge. I was too scared to say anything as i was in the closet.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had an asshole like that on campus a few times. I had my boyfriend there the first time and we just started making out in front of the guy to a near-standing ovation from the other people gathered around.

10. biggayguy

When I came out as bi' on campus I was asked to resign as an officer of the local Campus Bible Fellowship chapter.

11. Hrantou

I never see full groups on my campus, but I do meet the occasional bible thumper or preacher walking around. I just avoid them. I've tried arguing with them but they are so thick headed that there's no point in even trying.

12. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never encountered such people (in person at least, plenty online) but I don't know what I'd do if I did lol. Arguing with people who are so brainwashed like that is a waste of time - They're not even operating within the realm of reality so even if you present logical, rational arguments it just won't get through to them.

13. Beware Of You

You don't get this type of thing in Irish college's thankfully. The worst that has happened to me is some Muslim guy who had an obsession with trying to get me to convert (no joke) but thats about it.

I have never been told that I am going to hell or anything of the sort.

Although I see you are from Tennessee which is a very religious part of the world (don't get me wrong I do like the place)

14. Data

Data Guest

Yeah I don't know why those people do that.

Jesus NEVER would have done anything like that. There is no reason to, because we all have his purity of heart.

I lump all these groups into Westboro Baptist and ignore them. If those people were really sent by God (What an ego on that one) then they'd be preaching acceptance.

15. Miss Loopy

Give them a taste of their own medicine, just rally around shouting "God isn't real" "Gay sex is fantastic" etc.

16. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah almost everyday on campus I bump into someone that are trying to get more people to go to their church. Usually I just want to walk away but I stay and listen to what they have to say because I do not want to be rude. I also have a few very religious friends but they are really cool and not like most people I have come across. The fact that they know I'm gay and don't try to judge me for it is great. I think what annoys me more is when they ask me if I'm ready to accept Jesus into my life and follow his word, and no that is not them trying to save me, they don't care that I'm gay they just want everybody to enjoy, know, and feel the love that comes with having Jesus a part of your life. Like you said it's TN; I'm used to that.

17. yidnah87

There was a religious group that regularly came to my campus to protest abortion and gays. They would hold up graphic pictures of aborted fetuses and spew hate about gays. Most students were disgusted by their views/actions. There would be a counter protest by the LGBT group as they would hold a rainbow flag. Even the right-wing Christian opinion writer in the school newspaper felt that Christians weren't accurately represented by this group, and that their interpretation of the Bible was wrong.