1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your take on this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ShadowSpirit26, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wasn't sure if this belongs here or in the news sections, but I was wondering what others thought about it.

Okay, so Slate magazine has recently published a number of articles about polyamory rights (polyamory means having multiple partners weather to marry or for romantic relationships, or both). Now I don't really care how other people live their lives, as long as their not hurting others, and in no way am I trying to offended anyone by writing this, but the article got me kind of annoyed, because the person who wrote the articles is comparing polyamory to homosexuality.

He came under a lot of fire for this by the LGBT community, because he's saying that homosexuality is a choice like polyamory, and that since more rights are coming to the LGBT community, that it's only fair that polyamorists should be granted the same rights. I think were all agreed that sexuality is not a choice, but I believe that polyamory definitely is a choice. And like I said, as long as their not hurting anyone, I don't care what their doing, but to compare polyamory to homosexuality and to use that as the basis of a pro-polyamory argument is just ridiculous. He's actually twisting the arguments that the LGBT community uses so that we can be treated equal, because again sexuality is not a choice.
    Now im open to new ideas, and I judge people by their character, not by how they live their life, but I found this to be really annoying. I feel like now that were actually being treated equal for who we are, that he's just trying to jump aboard and group two completely different things together and call them the same.

So what do you think about this? Im strictly monogamous, and who ever im with would have to be strictly monogamous too, but im not hating on polyamorists, even though I don't agree with that way of thinking. But if you are polyamorists, why get married? Even though some marriages end in divorce, marriage is meant to be a commitment to the (1) person that you love. Why not just stay a bachelor on the prowl for life if you want to have multiple relationships? Dose anyone else think that calling them the same is annoying? Or am I just starting to sound like one of those crazy extremist conservatives? And if you are a polyamorist or you agree with the person who wrote those articles in Slate magazine, explain your reasoning. Im always open to different opinions, and new ways of thinking. Maybe im missing something and you can help me understand this. So if you want to debate or try and convince me even though im strictly monogamous, feel free. Im willing to listen with an open mind.