1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer identified straight people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    What's your opinion on queer identified straight people? I think it's pointless unless they don't fit gender norms. I like the term queer because it's a simple way of saying that I want to date girls and I don't want people to expect me to date boys, but I may or may not be attracted to them. I don't want that term to be diluted by straight people.

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So what would this mean for straight transsexuals?

3. June Cleaver

I would say we stay straight trans. Like me for example, no matter what you call me, I am a MtoF trans-woman who has only been attracted to men, so what else fits but straight trans-woman. Unless in someone else's case who is trans MtoF or FtoM, lesbian, bi, or gay of course. I don't quite understand all the labels, so I am not sure what the original post means. June

#3 June Cleaver, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah... I thought someone who was queer identified and straight was off the gender binary...

I dunno. Why must queer always equal gay?

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    They could be considered queer. I'm talking about straight non-trans people.

6. June Cleaver

I always thought queer meant mostly straight, but with bi tendency, straight meant rigidly attracted to only the oppisite gender, and gay rigid only attracted to the same gender. I get so cofused with all the labels. June

7. SheBang

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think OP is talking about people who identify as queer, because even though they're straight and cis, their sexuality isn't accepted by the mainstream, e.g. people who practice BDSM, polyamory, etc. Is that correct?

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gus actually posted an article on this, I think. The term that he employed was that a "queer heterosexual" is someone who is straight and cis but accepts a position of genuine allyship, meaning that she accepts that aligning herself politically with queer folks puts her in a certain position of vulnerability (i.e., people may question her sexuality or gender identity) and that she cannot simply retreat from that vulnerability.

So my understanding of the "queer heterosexual" is necessarily a political one. For me, there is no association of kink or minority sexual act (for example, straight cismen who enjoy anally penetrating their girlfriends.)

I am thinking that the adoption of "queer" by the heterosexual community will be extremely low (given it's not even in universal use by the queer community itself), so I will never feel like they are diluting the word.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure there are many straight cispeople who identify as queer, excluding those who engage in non-mainstream sexual practices, or are allies. If I one day woke up and decided to simply call myself a straight guy, I'd still consider myself queer, more-or-less, having met the criteria for both categories.

Queer is great since it's not simply about sexuality, or binaries, and is all-encompassing. Still, given it's oppressive history, with few LGBT adopting the term, there's probably chance of it even coming close to mainstream, especially for the cishets.

I guess I don't have much of an opinion on it, since there aren't many who do, but if they did, they'd be putting themselves in a vulnerable position, regardless, and hopefully for good reason.

10. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because that's what queer MEANS. >_>

Also "queer identified straight people" doesn't make any damn sense.

11. Sarcastic Luck

Tell that to everyone who considers themselves 'genderqueer'.

12. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think trans-straight people should be able to identify as queer since they challege heteronormativity and cissexism.

The concept has been extended to people who really don't belong in it. For instance I read somewhere that people who like having sex outside their race may be considered queer, which is totally absurd. Asexuals that are heteroromantic may be considered queer too, and I disagree with their inclusion cause it does nothing to challenge the cis-tem or heterosexism.

Most people who are Asexual and heteroromantic and who prefer people outside their race wouldn't identify as queer and rightfully so, but some academics seem bent on including them under the queer label, probably for political reasons, but I'm adamant that they don't belong. It complicates things, for one and two it combines an oppressed group with other groups that may or may not face oppression but for totally different reasons that share no link.

13. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    cis straight people calling themselves 'queer' are gross as fuck

14. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh yeah...those kids.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. thesharkamander

I really don't like cisgender, heterosexual people calling themselves queer. They're not queer. The word (when used to describe gender or sexuality) means people who aren't cishet.
    "Queer" is also a reclaimed slur, so.

16. Sarcastic Luck

...Honestly, I think that before people start be hating on straight people for using the word "queer" that the community decides what the hell the damn word means in the first place.

17. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Not cool. Queer is not for just anyone with an 'alternative sexual lifestyle'.

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

Doesn't it mean not cishet?

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2013 at 02:55 PM ----------

?

18. Sarcastic Luck

...I hate that term. I really do. If you notice above, people are saying the term 'queer' only means homosexual and others are using it to only mean people outside the gender binary. Community needs to agree on terms before it starts snarling at people for using it.

...Sigh. Guy was saying that queer only means 'gay', but there are people that use it to refer to gender. i.e the numerous people that consider themselves genderqueer that have posted on this thread.

19. Lipstick Leuger

Why would straight people want to use this term anyhow? It's a gay term.

20. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    To hijack the movement and make it about themselves?