1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My life just changed forever

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Oct 26, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Earlier today I had to spend the afternoon/evening with my mom, and I just got this feeling the whole time that very soon, she was going to find out my secret.

My aunt drove me home and on the way there, she informed me that she told my mom the last time she was out here that I'm gay and that yep, we're together, and to wait it out "until I'm comfortable coming out." She then ran home and spilled it to my dad, the last person in the world I'd ever want to know.

She said my mom was crying her heart out at the thought of losing me and that she so badly wanted to have the same relationship that her sister and her oldest son have. Her son called his mom and told her all about it when he lost his virginity, had his first three-way (or so she told me) and so on and so forth.

She's now blaming all her failures as a mother on my dad. She knows how much I hate him and he doesn't somehow, and has apparently decided that she's going to use him as a scapegoat for everything that she did wrong.

I don't want a relationship with her either. I don't want to see either of them ever again, and if they weren't paying for my college, they wouldn't be in my life. I'd change my phone number, shred all their letters, mark their emails as spam, and it would be like I was dead.

To quote my mother, "Every choice you make has a consequence, good or bad. And you have to live with the consequences of the choices you make, good or bad." The two of you made your choice. Now it's time to face the consequences.

2. biggayguy

You have one father and one mother. Is it really worth cutting them out of your life over this? My dad has done some pretty heinous things but I still talk to him.

3. Data

Data Guest

I guess only you can make that choice.

I would really love to say "Fine, cut them out like a tumor and forget about it" but at the same time I believe in second chances. If you've given them chance after chance, then I'd stop trying to let them into your life. If you feel a good relationship can exist, maybe another try is worth it.

Only you know what will work and what won't.

4. Californiacoast

Well, my dad just told me this morning that my Mom has 3-6 months left to live. It feels surreal. You may feel empowered now by treating her as if she was dead, but I assure you that you don't want to feel as bad as I feel right now.

5. Data

Data Guest

The difference is the relationship.

If a stranger came up to me and said they had 3-6 months, I wouldn't really care. If my dad said he had 3-6 months, I'd be very upset.

If Gaytheist doesn't feel that relationship and love anymore with his parents, they might as well be strangers.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So true! My dad was always in a negative mood and made my mom's life, and mine, so depressing. And yet, now that I'm far away in graduate school, and he has been jobless for over a year with a chronic health condition, I have lost most of my hate. I just look at him as pitiful shadow of a man. That doesn't mean I won't forget what he did/said; you can still be kind to someone who doesn't deserve it.

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've noticed that after an LGBTQ son/daughter come out, the instinctive reaction is for one parent to blame the other. I wonder why.

8. Nick07

I am so sorry (*hug*) :icon_sad:

9. BiPenguin

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you're feeling alright now...or in the very near future.

10. tulman

If you hate both of them so much, why not cut them loose right now? You won't have to put up with all their abuse any more. As you make it past your vast 18 years of life experiences you'll realize how much happier you are without such a horrible family. OOPS! Sorry, I forgot they're forking over their hard earned for your college tuition. Oh well, life is full of compromises.

11. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do so many people always stick up for the parents in situations like this?

I dont have anything else to add. Just good luck mate. If you want to talk about or rant about this further with someone who wont instantly judge you for not getting on with your parents, I'll be here.

#11 Robert, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's something that may be helpful. It can be really hard to own this statement, but when you look at anyone who has wronged you, consider that they are doing the best they can under the circumstances they have.

No parent wants to be a piece of crap, to be selfish, controlling, hurtful, blaming, shaming, or anything else. Our parents are a product of the environment they grew up in.

Does this mean you need to forgive them, have them in your life, treat them well, or anything else? No. And in some cases, shutting them out completely may be the only way to bring sanity and peace to your own life.

But as someone who has lost both parents, one of which I wasn't very close to, I can tell you... what Californiacoast says is true, and would be, even for you.

It's hard to see past the anger and resentment you are feeling, and as I said, I'm not suggesting you should be able to forgive them. You might, however, be able to think in terms of compassion and realize that they are hurting now as well, wishing they had a better relationship with you, wishing they weren't such pieces of crap. That doesn't excuse or make up for what they did, but it does bear thinking about.

I'll also say that I've seen some pretty powerful metamorphoses in parents as their children reach adulthood and begin to reset the boundaries of the relationship. So it is possible, if you were to approach things and set limits, that you might be able to do the same. Whether you're willing to try is, of course, up to you, and whether they're ready, or you're ready is something you'd also have to try and figure out. I'd just suggest leaving the door open a tiny crack to the idea you might be able to make some sort of mutually beneficial relationship work in the future.

13. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    These words are nothing but beautiful.

I am not old, yet there are already so many times in my life that I wish I had forgiven.

Additionally, I have not lived the life of a saint either, and without the forgiveness of others, I don't know how I would have coped.

"Every choice you make has a consequence, good or bad. And you have to live with the consequences of the choices you make, good or bad."

The problem with truisms like this is that...well, they're always true. They can be used by anyone for almost any purpose because they're almost always true. You get what I'm saying?

I genuinely feel that life cannot progress forwards without forgiveness. I've lost a part of my life to anger and self-perceived hatred. I wish I hadn't.

Please don't make the same mistakes as me.

All the best :slight_smile:

14. Ohhai

15. Waffles

Do you seriously believe that cutting them out of the picture will do any good? To be blunt, I honestly think you'd be making a horrible decision if you did. You only have ONE mother, and ONE father. When they're gone, that's it. There's no more second-chances. Say you cut them out of your life and they both suddenly died. Do you REALLY want your last memory of them to be of you treating them like crap because they were trying their hardest to accept you? If that's the case, you're absolutely disgusting. Egocentric. Heartless I might add.

As someone who has first hand witnessed the strain a child can put on their parents by cutting them out of the picture, I can GUARENTEE that the LAST thing they ever want to do is hurt their own child. They never want a relationship with their child to disappear: they want to be able to say "hey, you and your family are more than welcome to stop over", "Have a seat and let's catch up". Your parents love you dearly, more than you even care to think. Who are you to tell them that they will no longer get to see their son?

They've done so much for you: they put a roof over your head, put food on the table for you, bought you clothes to wear, paid for you to go to school, been with you through the good and the bad. There are children who don't ever get to experience the absolute PRIVILEGE of having parents or any sort of family. So if you plan on making cutting them out of your life, just know this: one day, the one you care about most will leave you after everything you two've been through, and you will live a lonely, miserable fucking life.

So, let me ask you this again: do you SERIOUSLY... want to take your parents out of the picture... over something like this? Because if so... words cannot even describe the egotistical evil that you are.

16. tulman

Thanks, waffles. Your insight and maturity are beyond 17 years.

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now that I've had a chance to sleep on it and calm down a bit, reading some of the replies, I'm still floored by some of you saying I'm evil and things like that. My mom did the same thing to her dad, for almost the same reason as I'm cutting him out of my life-abuse-and as we speak, he's dying of cancer and she doesn't care.

That not true at all. Most of the bad, namely sexual abuse and the events that culminated in a suicide attempt 5 years ago, they blamed the whole thing on me. Not to mention, when my dad knew I was being raped, he did absolutely nothing to stop it. And it continued, under his roof.

My father is verbally and emotionally abusive, and there's nobody else who's damaged me more than he has. And in fact, half my mom's side of the family has said to let him pay my tuition as restitution for what he put me through and allowed to happen to me.

As for my mom, she was an incompetent mother from the start. I think that she expected it to be a smooth ride from the beginning and that there'd be no problems, and when problems came up, she ran and hid, and left both me and my brother out to dry.

Being bullied in school? Ah, just pray about it. Depressed to the point of considering suicide? Meh, just pray about it. Your brother kicked the crap out of a first-grader today? Oh well, the school will handle it. Your cousin raped you? Oh well.

"I don't know anything about you, where did I go wrong!"

I don't know why you would say something like that.

I will say this: almost everybody outside the family that knows the whole story agrees with me, that my dad is a bastard and my mom is an enabler. This was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

18. Ohhai

Umm... Tad over reaction. Whilst cutting out your parents may seem unthinkable to most of us, we don;t know this guys story.

19. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, this thread has escalated pretty quickly. Just a suggestion, but let's not make this so personal.

I don't really have anything to say apart from it's your decision. You've read others' posts, coming from different schools of thought. Personally, I don't think you should deal in such an absolute as this- as people have said, once you do this it's nigh on irreversible. However, I don't know your entire story, I don't know your thinking on this, I can't comprehend how much damage it's done to you. I won't tell you what to do because it's your call in the end, but I don't see what ending your relationship with them entirely would achieve apart from animosity.

20. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    AwesomeGaytheist,

There's no way to be rude about this, but may I advise you to ignore a certain post by a certain person?

Also, thanks for sharing more of your situation. That is certainly a lot bleaker than I imagined.

The way I see it is, you are young. You have a lot of pain which is clearly justified.

I would never ask or force anyone to forgive - and this is something that your mother needs to respect too.

But, perhaps, at this stage, the least you can do is not burn the bridge?

Even if it's dusty, it can still be used, years later. Or not. The future you will know better.