1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hunting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Split Arrows, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Split Arrows

I know people have very strong opinions on this, so let's keep it civil.

When it comes to eating meat, I greatly prefer to either go get it wild or from someone who does the same. It sickens me to think of the cruelty and inhumanity that animals are subjected to for the sake of "grocery store meat". But when it comes to hunting, these issues don't really arise, because (if you're a good hunter) the animal goes down very quickly with little to no pain. Also, urban development around the country has led to sever anti-predation measures which results in an overpopulation of prey animals (deer, elk, antelope etc) and ethical hunting helps to stem this tide.

Wild caught meat is also more nutritious and better for the body than processed meat.

The problem I have with hunting is people that do it for "sport". When a person's only goal to hunt is for the trophy to mount on the wall, I find that deplorable. Even worse are predator hunters that go for cougars, bears and especially wolves.

Are there any other hunters here?

2. AmityRanch

Hunters are hot, but I can't say I'm at all interested in taking part in their sport.

I didn't even know buying meat from them was even an option. XD

3. Ruthven

I'm not a hunter, but I totally am down and agree with you. I'm a vegetarian, and for me, if I had to eat meat, like say I was off the grid or something, I'd rather get it like that. Of course, it'd be hard for me to kill something but if I had to to survive...

4. Split Arrows

Yeah, I'm fortunate in that there's a shop just one town over from me that is a hunters' exchange (sort of a farmers' market for meat). One elk is a hell of a lot of food and not many people can go through it all before it spoils, so this shop will actually butcher your harvest for you and sell what you don't need.

Plus if you personally know any hunters, we're usually more than willing to sell our surplus.

5. Mariall

I'm a vegetarian and I really don't like the idea of hunting, at least not the endangered species. Hunting deer is still bad to me, but they're not that endangered (where I live at least, there're tons of them). If you have to hunt to survive I think that's much better than doing it for the fur or for fun. But, not many people have to hunt to survive so I think we mostly do it for fun.

6. Hrantou

Not me, but my dad and my grandpa were. Back in the labor camps where the people who worked the fields here in California got paid close to nothing, they used to hunt rabbits to eat. Apparently my grandpa was very good at it.

Me? I don't care. Without hunting, humans wouldn't have survived until now. Its a part of survival tactics. You don't want to hunt? Fine. Give me my spear and I'll be back by the end of day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hunt, but I would not be against it. It is a useful tool, and definitely people should rethink eating any meat if they think hunting is wrong.

I will say that I don't think it is any more cruel for domesticated animals to be raised and killed for meat than wild animals to be killed. Domestication has been useful in reducing hunting pressures on wild animals, and there are hundreds of species that have gone extinct due to human hunting. I understand the overpopulation rationale, but I think that could also be solved by reintroducing the natural predators. Moreover, human hunting is often unnatural selection in that the weakest animals are not selectively chosen: humans often deliberately target the biggest and most impressive individuals.

Even hunting predators is a grey area, IMO. I wouldn't support it for endangered/threatened species, even if they are only locally endangered. That said, I don't think it is justified to say hunting predators is worse than hunting herbivores just because they seem more charismatic. Of course hunting and not eating the meat seems less justifiable, but then, what about not using the skins, horns, bone, etc? It's kind of a slippery slope in terms of what hunting goal is more justified than another.

#7 resu, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  8. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Food:
    I think hunting has the potential to be very honest and noble. When done properly, I can't help but feel that it shows humans fitting in with their eco system in a natural fashion. More natural than plastic-wrapped packages.

I think a lot of people take meat for granted. I've never understood those who happily eat it, yet say it's gross to prepare it.

I wonder how many people would truly enjoy meat if they had to raise, slaughter/hunt and prepare the meat themselves?

Sport:
    I have nothing positive to say about this. Nothing but vitriolic bile. I wish they'd knock it off. Sorry to be so direct.

9. Techno Kid

In my opinion unless you are living an actual hunter gatherer lifestyle, you don't need to hunt in order to survive.

10. People should only hunt for food, not to stick its head on the wall.

I'm not against hunting. Hunting is what built our civilization, through hunting and gathering.

What I am against is hunting endangered species. No one needs to shoot down a panda.

#10 anthonythegamer, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  11. Sarcastic Luck

..Can I point out that a number of trophy hunters donate the meat from the animal to homeless shelters?

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never hunted personally. I'd be okay with it as long as the hunter took the animal for meat and not just for the thrill of the chase.

^^Anyone who does though, think about it: You're a human with intelligence incomparably higher than that of your quarry (even if you're an idiot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), using top-notch weaponry and camouflage to take them completely by surprise. Some animals are good at detection/running away if the hunter makes a mistake, but it's still a very lopsided contest. I'd prefer if people give it at least the purpose of feeding their families rather than just hanging some antlers on a wall.

13. starfish

I've never been hunting, but I have been known to drown worms though.

14. Hexagon

Is comparable to fucking animals.

15. Sarcastic Luck

So because I've been hunting, I'm on the same level as someone who's into bestiality?

The logic makes me want to slam my head against the wall.

16. Hexagon

No. I consider killing animals to be more immoral.

17. Sarcastic Luck

I raise meat animals and have helped in butchering them.

[​IMG]

18. Hexagon

You're maturity is inspiring.

19. Sarcastic Luck

What can I say? I find it annoying to be compared to someone who gets their rocks off by fucking animals.

20. Hexagon

What can I say? I find people who kill animals annoying.