1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who wants to be the subject of a paper?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaplaceScramble, Oct 27, 2013.

1. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some background before the actual paper and it's relevant information
    I've been stuck on what to write for my non-fiction paper, being given the restrictions that it can't be about anyone who attends my school or myself. And that doesn't leave a lot of options. After jumping from one idea to the next I though, "hey Self."
    "Ya, Self?"
    "I know a great place to find someone interesting."
    Self is such a kidder. "Where's that, Self?"
    "Empty Closets!"
    I thought it might be a great idea to write about someone coming out or transitioning story.
    While I can definitely see this plan falling short, I've got nothing to lose.

First and foremost I will say that this will not violate any of the Codes of Conduct. If you decided you were interested but only wished to provide information anonymously (no names, no websites, no locations, no personal information short of your story) on this post, on my wall, or even in a private message, obviously that would be fine.

OK, here's what you'd be interested in doing

This is the most basic outline of what I need to write about

Topic/Subject:
    Background Information:
    Relevance/Contemporary Interest:
    Potential Angle on the story:

That being the case--and I don't mean any of this to sound rude--I know that we all have a coming out or transitioning story, and to each of us it is something very important to who we are now, but I can only write about something that has more to it than "I did this" *something happened* "now this is happening/ed." It's a story, and a non-fiction one at that, so it has to not only be interesting to everyone who reads it, but be relate-able, too. Maybe not so much relate-able, but people should be able to read it and--even if they straight and/or cis-gendered--be able to take something away from it.

Whatever you went through in coming out/transitioning needs to have, to a large extent, conflict with others. I wouldn’t be able to write about a story where one’s biggest goal was accepting themselves. I don’t mean that I wouldn’t be allowed to, I mean that my skills as a writer doesn’t allow me to properly depict a scenario where one’s self is one’s source of conflict. I could to an extent, and maybe to an even greater extent if there were some psychoses involved, but yeh, I’m not that skilled.

Just think about how any good story goes. There’s a low point, followed by either a high point or an even lower point (cuz yay schadenfreude!). So, yah, if you’re interested, leave a comment below, or on my wall, or PM me, either just giving the bare details of your story or feel free to let it all out in one go.

2. Hexagon

Probably against my better judgement, maybe I could be of service here? I'd probably prefer to discuss most of it via PM, but I suppose I'd fit the criteria of the struggle being largely not with myself. I've had some major battles with medical authorities, and family and ex-friends can be relied upon for some conflict as well.

How long are you going for?

3. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's relatively short, only 8-10 pages in length. And of course you'd be the first person to see the final outcome, to make sure there's no information there that you don't want to be there.

4. Hexagon

So long as I'm not identifiable, it would be fine.

5. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup, anonymity would be held to whatever degree you're comfortable with.

If you want to take some time to get our story together, I just need to have those 4 things filled out to some extent by the 30th (sorry for the short amount of time, any other due dates will be further away [I dropped the ball on this bit]). So if you want to just give me the gist at first, and then go over the whole story, or just knock out the whole story right away, either's fine.