1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender roles at home

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Hexagon

This is about your parents, if you still live with them, or how they were when you did. Do they conform to typical hetero gender roles and stereotypes?

My parents, you see, consider themselves to be oh-so-enlightened. Feminists who know nothing about feminism. 'Liberals'. Etc. And yet at home, they conform to gender stereotypes like any other middle aged heterosexual couple. My father (fails to) make all the money, sits around on his computer, my mother cooks and cleans. There is no equal division of responsibilities at all. I generally cook for myself, though.

What about you guys?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad's worked from home, or only worked part-time, for many years. He and Mum split the cooking between them, but other than that I think it was fairly typical, Mum is neurotic about cleaning and Dad does the things like car maintenance.

I live with my sister now. She does more of the cleaning, I do more of the cooking. I take out the bins, open tough jars and deal with spiders, so I'm jokingly referred to as the man of the house.

3. Caillin

No my parents both work and my dad and mom cook dinner some does one parent will not or just help a bit it depends on the meal also we usually clean al together or my mom usally straighten ups the house.

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    My mother is really independent, but she does fall into gender roles, and ends up cooking, cleaning, doing everyone's laundry etc. But she only does it for my siblings, not any men.

I've always hated gender roles from an early age. I remember telling off my dad when we were having lunch. He kept asking my mom to get him this and that, so I just told him to shut the f up and do it himself.

My mom saved me from a beating that day. The good thing is that experience taught her to think for herself, to not let any man boss her around. Before that, she was such a pushover. While she does cook and other stuff, one thing she won't do is behave in such a deplorably servile way any more.

5. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I come from a deeply religious and conservative family.

My father taught my mother how to cook.
    My mother did her PHD when I was prenatal. I remember helping her to type up her thesis when I was young.

Both my parents worked. Anyone who didn't help with housework got yelled at.

My mother did end up doing most of the cooking, but this wasn't due to anyone not offering or being willing to help, more that she was a total and utter despot and no one could ever match her standards.

"Mum, can I help at all?"
    "Please cut the salad."
    *5 minutes later*
    "What are you doing? Get out of MY kitchen!"

I mean..what are you supposed to do in that situation? xD

6. leer

mum is a receptionist at a cloths factory she has also worked for local council she did that when i was at school .

dad has been a driver most of his life he worked for the coal board & after that he was a long distance lorry driver he`s unable to drive allot these days due to health problems . divorced years ago dad has always helped around the home .

7. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mother cooks mostly, but my dad cooks whenever she'll be home late, so about 3 times a week. I vacuum, my mom dusts. My dad usually does the washing, but my mom irons the clothes afterwards.

They really do balance the work between them. Since I'm a very fussy eater, I make food for myself on a regular basis.

8. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose they do largely conform at home. However, they do both work and if anything my mum is more outgoing than me or dad!

Also I was talking to my mum last night and she said she made a speech at her wedding. All I thought was "good on ya!". So that makes me think they're aware of gender roles and don't entirely agree with them.

9. Emulator

More or less, yes, though they're rather open as long as it only concerns what we do rather than the whole gender concept.

10. Both of my parents work and they both do the grocery shopping, although it's more divided on my mom.

My mom mainly does the cooking in the family while I help her out because she doesn't want me to know nothing about cooking like my dad LOL

11. biggayguy

Even when my parents were together they went their separate ways. Dad worked ten hour shifts. He came home and putz around in the garage until bed time. Mom was super religious and was in church a lot. She was also at grandma's when not in church. Mostly I was with mom but sometimes I hung out with dad in the garage. He let me help reload shotgun shells and other guy stuff. Dad was the fun parent. Mom was the disciplinarian.

12. DrkRayne

Back when my parents were married they conformed. My dad went to work and made money. My mom stayed at home and took care of kids. Cooked and cleaned.
    They are divorced and when it was just us at home...we kinda of spilt all the chores because my mom had to work.
    My dad is remarried and he actually does all the cooking. Turns out he LOVES to cook, my mom just never let him. His wife does so most of the cleaning though.

My wife and pretty much split everything according to who likes to do what. We talked about this before we moved in together. I cook breakfast, wash/fold laundry and dishes. She cooks dinner, takes out trash and puts away clean laundry and clean dishes. I lay out our clothes for work, she packs our lunches for work.
    The cleaning is pretty split down the middle. She vacuums, I mop. I do toilets, she does glass. I make bed, she makes sure all the clothes are in the hamper (i leave my stuff laying everywhere) its pretty odd but it works really well in our house. Everything gets done and no one has to do anything they don't want to.

#12 DrkRayne, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  13. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a product of a single-parent home, my family conforms in some ways and denounces gender roles practically to the point of spitting on them in others.

My mom worked and did all the cooking and cleaning when my siblings and I were small. But as we grew we began to take over some of the responsibilities. Now I do 89% of the cooking and cleaning (other people could clean, they just don't... :dry:slight_smile: and work. My mom is occupied by taking care of my terminally ill step-father. He on the other hand, thinks gender roles should be iron-clad to the point of misogyny. Sometimes I think he's still surprised women and African-Americans can vote. But that's another topic entirely.

Ultimately what I'm aiming to say is, my family doesn't abide by stereotypical gender roles for the most part. I think my sisters wish we did, but they're younger and have yet to realize the importance of the freedom (for want of a better word...) that derives from rejecting them.

14. Pretty standard division of labor, except stepdad did the cooking for him and mom, and I did the cooking for me and my brother (him and mom had homecooked meals, my brother and I had all that microwave stuff that's preprepared in factories). Mom used to work when I was a kid, but stopped once the family had enough money.

15. ScatteredEarth

I consider my mother the man of the house, they both work, but my mother brings in a majority of the money, which is ironic considering she's a waitress, and my father installs fiber-optic cabling under streets and shit.

Both my mother and father are excellent cooks, and I always aspire to cook like they do, granted my mother does alot of the cooking, but that's because she wants to, because she likes to control what we eat for that day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My mother does the cleaning, laundry, scolding, etc..

My father does the general maintenance, repair, sports activities, drinking, etc..

So aside from a few things, pretty typical :slight_smile:

BUT, there is really nothing wrong with it, if someone chooses to be like that, then that's what they want.

16. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ahh, drinking. The consummate family chore.
    Someone's gotta do it.

xD

17. ScatteredEarth

He holds his head high too.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

You'd think looking at me my house would look like Leave it to Beaver but eh. Dad watches sport, mom homeschools, dad repairs shit. But cooking and cleaning, if not left to me or the kids, is divided up between them. Noticed lately, since my mom started homeschooling and was let go from her job, she's become more and more of a stereotypical housewife.

19. Thedistra

Dad did the cooking, cleaning and laundry. Even though he never had a job job, he made more money doing odd jobs than my mother made with her job. Dad did all the shopping. I considered him more caring than my mother as well. He doesn't do hugs and such but he actually seemed to give a crap when you got hurt or were sad.

My mother did the punishing for the most part. Or she would get my dad to do the spanking but he never really hit hard. I feared my mother and I didn't fear my dad.

So he would be stereo typed into the mother role. Personally I would say thats what makes him the great dad that he is.

20. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, same in my house. Mom did the punishing, dad was the one you ran to when you fell. He's no more accepting than my mom but at least he's honest.