1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do with crap?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sully, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Sully

Recently my family and I have been doing heaps of cleaning and organising of stuff. By stuff, I mean those old possessions like primary school work and toys, that have no sentimental value yet sit in attics for more than a decade accumulating dust.

Normally we're pretty good at getting rid of this 'stuff', a take-no-prisoners kind stance, BUT, there's always those things which I just have no idea what to do with!

For example:

-Warhammer toys, hundreds of dollars worth of plastic figurines, what the hell do I do with them? The bin just seems so brutal, but I'm never going to bother selling them, and as much as I say, oh I'll give them to family, I don't know if I ever will.

- Certificates, like my grade 6th 'student of the week' award, with gaudy red, laminated paper (that just got walked over by my cat). Or the encouragement award sitting next to it...that I have no idea what it was trying to encourage anyway!

So. What do I do with crap? How do I know if it's sentimental or will grow to be sentimental?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Warhammer figurines? Display that crap! It's awesome. :grin:

Otherwise pack it neatly in boxes and into the garage it goes. Properly labeled, even if you bury it it won't be lost forever.

3. Sully

That's exactly what I don't want to do!!!! I hate have stuff stored away! What's the point? I just feel guilty about binning them :S

4. prism

My family home just flooded and we had to get rid of a TON of stuff.

Keep everything related to your academics, awards, etc. Save birthday/holiday cards that you received from people you care about.

As far as toys go, we only kept the toys that we thought were worth something or worth saving for any future children. Why don't you want to sell your toys? Selling on Amazon and eBay is a lot easier than it looks.

5. Sully

Hmmm I might look into it :/ put I don't know how to price/ship. I'll hold onto things until I figure it out.

As far as academic stuff goes. What's the point in saving it? Unless it was a good/funny piece of work. I don't need mountains of 5th grade maths work :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2013 at 06:28 PM ----------

Oh no. I found them. The bane of my attemts to get rid of junk. All of my old Yu-Gu-Oh cards D:!

6. method

You might be trying to trick yourself. If something really was worthless and devoid of sentimental value it wouldn't be hard to get rid of it I think.

I think the key to avoid hoarding is to keep a couple of pieces of each sort of thing, and get rid of the rest, so you have the memory, but not the volume of stuff.

All the school stuff has a special place in my heart though, and I have almost all my books still.

7. Foxface

I pitch it is it's garbage or give it to Goodwill

If I can make a decent penny I will craigslist first, then ebay if it's expensive enough

For things like Warhammer (or in my case my Magic and YuGiOh cards I sold on consignment)

Foxface

8. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    They're not toys! Their figures!

Don't underestimate how much you can get for these on E-bay.

Here is an example of what I did with unwanted models:

clive-lamp1.jpg Photo by karmoon | Photobucket

Many of the parts for this model I converted were from unwanted models/parts bought off ebay and other source.

Just saying! :slight_smile:

9. BiPenguin

Some goes to charity, some the kids give to friends, some go to the garbage bin. I have nothing of school because on my very last day of high school, I came home, stripped naked, light the woodfire BBQ outside and burned everything to emotionally release myself from that place. Well, not the school uniform. Would not have got away with that.

10. SlickyPants

I'm probably the worst person to respond because I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to certain things.

If it was me I'd keep the Warhammer figures and organize them, box them up and store them. School stuff I usually just toss out for the most part. I'll usually ask my mom if she wants to keep any of it before I through it out though. You know how moms can be about that stuff.

On a side note, my brother was moving and getting rid of some things. He was just going to through them out but he asked me if I wanted his Pog collection which he had in a shoebox in his closet for the last 15-20 years. I got rid of my Pogs a long time ago, but getting my brother's sent me back to my childhood for a few moments, even if it was only a fad. It doesn't take up much room so I'll keep them. I also got some old video games from him, mostly Game Boy stuff. Cha-ching! More crap to hoard. :lol:

11. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Did you paint that model then? If you did, that's looking pretty awesome! Highlights on the exoskeleton and the bone talons are nicely done. Crushed avatar's a nice addition too :slight_smile:

Anyways, back on topic :slight_smile: you could go down the middle road and keep the models you feel are most impressive and sell all the rank-and-file, ordinary ones. Also I'm pretty sure some GW stores let you hand in models for raffle competitions. My local once had a model raffle, so I'm guessing it depends on the store but it has been done.

School achievements, you could hand them over to parents. In terms of kids' stuff, you could do what I did if you have any child relatives. For christmas, I know I have a huge stock of kids' stuff which would be wasted otherwise, so I give my relatives stuff from my collection of that as presents. That way I know it's being put to good use.

Apart from that, I'm not the best person at this because there are small spaces in my house full of crap :icon_bigg

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When in doubt, throw it out.

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh man, I used to be a terrible hoarder. Over the past few years though, I've found myself becoming the opposite of sentimental. I'm at the point where I'm parting with most things.

My parents have my old "achievements" or whatever from school stashed away somewhere, but if they were in my hands I'd toss them into the bonfire bag. I tend to use old papers for kindling instead of throwing them out. It's probably the best use of old math homework.

For figurines and cards and the like, I recommend selling. You can find their approximate value online if you want to keep your prices fair. Or if you get like me and end up more concerned about having things leave your house than making potential money from them, you could donate them.

14. Hrantou

My family is the same. Every once in while we go through a period where the house gets "cleansed" of all the crap we don't need. Last time we got rid of old books that had no value, and old VHS tapes except for a few. Still have my old VHS Star Wars collection and I have the entire series of Star Trek Voyager on recorded VHS that I will never throw out :grin:

My thing is this: If you don't know if you should keep it, then throw it. Sentimental value things should always be kept. There's a paper snowman on my parents door that I made in Kindergarten...and here it is, 19 or 20 years later and my parents will never throw it out because it has huge sentimental value.

15. Northern

Flush it down the toilet.

16. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Warhammer - donate to charity.
    Certificates - just put them all in a folder, that won't take up too much space. Or scan them and just keep the digital copies.
    Sentimental? If it's not sentimental now, get rid of it. Keep one box of sentimental stuff.

And a good quote I heard once: if it enriches your life, keep it. If not, what do you want it for?

17. Adder

I know my mum always says I have some sort of hoarder tendencies like the other day I had to think twice about chucking out an old pencil case. I just thought "This pencil case has been with me every school day for 2 years surely I should keep it?" thankfully I managed to give into temptation and it's safely tucked away on a landfill site somewhere.

When I was about 6 we had the tiles in our kitchen replaced and I actually forced my parents to keep some of them in a shoe box instead of chucking them. (And no before you ask like most hoarded items I have not even seen them since that day).

18. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I threw all my "Child hood" toys.. was some what hard.. every toy I picked up I had felt Nolgastic .. The only thing I regret disposing off is my baby blanket.. :'(