1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-Cigs - It's time to fight people's ignorance.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussir, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Aussir

3 years ago, I went from smoking to vaping and I never picked up an analog again. Nowadays, I can't even stand the smell of tobacco. However, I'm wondering just how much ignorance is going around about e-cigs. So far, I've heard people spew out things such as:

- Has the same things in it as an analog. (No)
    - Has the same stench as an analog. (No)
    - Makes smoke. (No)
    - The smoke irritates my eyes and lungs (it doesn't irritate my cousin that has allergic rhinitis... how does it irritate "you"? It's not even smoke.)
    - <insert idiotic voice tone> BAN THEM! (just because).

Then you have the usual name calling and offending, the calls on diseases, the saying that Nicotine makes cancer, etc, etc.

Fun facts:

- It has been recently proven that pollution from cars, factories, etc is the major lung cancer factor, not tobacco as the "anti-smoking inquisition" wants people to believe.
    - Nicotine is a stimulant like caffeine. Ban one and you have to ban the other.
    - Nicotine is present in a lot of things. For example, there's 4.1 ng/g of nicotine in ripe tomatoes. Eating 244 grams equals the effects of passive smoking.

Some people argue that e-cigs look too much like analogs. Actually, only the cheap crap looks like an analog. Mine's a decent tank system and it's pitch black with a blue light. Mix that up now.

Some say that the smell is the same... hmm... no, it's not... unless lemon and strawberry (for example) is now a tobacco smell.

I'm calling out for smokers, non-smokers and vappers that may be for a discussion about e-cigs and how they have been helping people get away from the "cancer-sticks" and wean a lot of people away from nicotine completely.

Me, I'm very happy with my e-cig and when I feel like weaning out of nicotine, all I have to do is get lower nicotine liquid until there's none.

As a former analog smoker, I would like to see all analogs gone and only e-cigs staying but there's a huge fight to go through against 3 major enemies: The governments (taxes), Big Pharma (loss of profit) and Big Tobacco (loss of profit).

What are your views in this?

2. Aquilo

I don't mind sigarettes of any kind as long as they're not smoked in public (apart from designated smoker areas). I do not wish to be poisoned by someone elses (bad) habits.

If someone thinks smoking in public is ok, think about this: How would you feel if someone slipped some unknown chemicals into your drink or food? Smoking is the same, the only difference with the other ways of poisoning is that it's by air instead of food.

3. Hexagon

E-cigs seem like a great thing to me. I wasn't aware of any of the myths you posted, though. In response to aquilo, am I correct in assuming that e-cigs don't have those effects?

4. Aquilo

E-cigs normally only contain (relatively harmless) propylene-glycol, glycerin, nicotin and some aroma's. Those chemicals aren't burned like in normal sigarettes but only vaporised. This is a lot better than cigarettes because the burning reaction in cigarettes creates a lot of dangerous and sometimes carcinogenous chemicals even when innocent chemicals like sugar and methol are burned.

Still, e-cigs 'polute' the air and I don't think it's polite to smoke it in public, when it's chemicals are inhaled by other people. It's a lot better than the dangerous chemicals real sigarettes produce, but still impolite.

5. Res

Res

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Nothing wrong with nicotine. That's not the problem with cigs. The problem is all the other stuff in them...

Being a sufferer of asthma, I honestly would prefer to not be around people smoking anything. Including e-cigs. If it produces a smell, it's throwing stuff into the air, and I already breath in enough shit just from going outside (I use air purifiers inside). I don't need to expose myself to more. So yeah. No public smoking, please. :3

6. Aquilo

E-cigs may not contain the really dangerous stuff real cigarettes produce, but it still vaporises chemicals into the air, which can irritate sensitive tissues.

Tobacco is a major risk for lung cancer. Air polution is a major risk factor too, but that doesn't mean smoking (normal) cigarettes isn't dangerous for your health.
    Agreed. (But real cigarettes also produce other stuff than nicotin, which are dangerous, so this is only an argument to ban real cigarettes and not e-cigs)
    Passive smoking from e-cigs isn't that bad as far as we know. Passive smoking from real cigarettes remains bad for your health, from the poisonous chemicals smoking creates.

I'm agreeing with you on this point too. Still I'd like e-cigs to be banned in public places other than smoker-designated areas. I want my air clean please.

#6 Aquilo, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. Aussir

The fact is that you get absolutely no second hand anything from an e-cig. Your comment is one of the things I hear a lot when people talk about e-cigs because people think that e-cig=normal cigarette. It is NOT the case.

It's not the same thing at all and you don't get any ill effects from whatever little vapor may come from a person vapping.

You already have a lot of chemicals in your food and in the air you breathe. Those "E" on your food? All chemicals. The air you breathe? Full of chemicals.
    You even eat crushed bugs in your food and they're labeled as "natural coloring". What is your point?

Vapping on an e-cig is NOT smoking. Please get rid of that extremely wrong notion.

Wrong. Propylene Glycol (also found in ASTHMA INHALERS), Glycerine, water and FDA approved flavors (other than nicotine). Pull another one.

Again this ignorant comment... it's VAPOR and if you get any of it on you (it disappears in seconds), it doesn't do crap to you.
    Also, fun fact: vappers do NOT want to be in touch with normal cigarette smoke. Most of us can't stand it.

e-cigs are made out of propylene glycol that is used in asthma pumps. What's the excuse now?

Ok... I made a thread about vapping, not about smoking.

I will request the thread to be locked since people keep talking about smoking.

The ignorance just shows...

#7 Aussir, Oct 29, 2013
  8. Aquilo

Smoke from cigarettes= gasses, liquids and solids suspended in air.
    Vapor from e-cigs= gasses and liquids suspended in air.

The chemicals may be different and the physical form they take may be different, but you're still releasing those into the air everyone else breathes. It may be a lot less harmful than smoking real cigs, but you're still putting chemicals into the air without the explicit permission of other people who breathe that air.

The same principle would apply to someone who would spray deodorant near me. It's impolite. If you wish to smoke anything, please do it somewhere where no-one else has to inhale it.

Most flavours and chemicals are approved for digestion, in food. Not to be applied to eyes and other tissues. Flavours may be ok for one person, but not everyone likes to inhale those.

9. Aussir

Hmm... how do you think flavored analogs happen?
    Or even Vicks inhalers... all that menthol in it... we should be eating it instead of inhaling it then.

Next time a kettle boils and you're near it, don't forget to complain about the vapor. Do you complain when vapor from tea gets near you? Or when someone uses a asthma inhaler and some of the vapor gets near you?

The vapor has been tested when coming out of a vapper and it has trace amounts of nicotine in it, that's it. The rest stays with us. Also, the vapor doesn't linger like tobacco smoke does. It disappears within seconds.

There is a major difference between smoke and vapor. The first is made by burning, the second is made by heating, nothing is burned.

If a vapper wants, we don't even let out any vapor at all. If we hold it in for a few secs, it's completely gone.

Talk about a lot of misinformation and clearly not willing to get informed and get away from pre-made ideas.

By the way... are you aware that a lot of people think it's the nicotine that provokes cancer?

#9 Aussir, Oct 29, 2013
  10. Aquilo

Laws concerning allowed additives for sigarettes are not scientifically sound at the moment. Additives are tested for foods, not for inhalation or contact with the eyes and other sensitive tissues. This is a problem indeed.

There's a difference between pure water vapor and vapor containing nicotin and other substances.

Big advantage indeed over real cigarettes. Still you have to take into account that some people are anti-social and some people can really be irritated (medically) by some substances.

My apologies if I offended you, if you read my posts again you can see that I agree with you on quite a few points. (EDIT): And I think that e-cigs are a wonderful substitute for real cigs.

Yes, I mentioned that it's the other stuff in real cigarette smoke which is really dangerous.

EDIT: didn't see this before making post:
    The chemicals in vapor don't disappears as you'd need a chemical reaction for that. It gets dispersed quicker, but the stuff still remains in the air and will come into contact with eyes and noses from other people. The 'not lingering' part is another good advantage for e-cigs yes, as the vapor will disperse quicker, but this doesn't mean that the chemicals just dissapear. (please note that I'm using chemicals as a scientific term, not as something you should always be afraid from.. oxygen, water and sugar can be classified as chemicals too after all)

#10 Aquilo, Oct 29, 2013
  11. biggayguy

E-cigs are wonderful! I was able to quit smoking by using an e-cig. It helped me step down my smoking. I haven't smoked in over two years; not even an e-cig.

12. Aussir

In that we must agree... but between a flavor and dozens of cancer substances from an analog, I'll take the flavor.
    Actually, UK wants to classify the e-cigs as medicine (*cough*tax*cough*).

Like I said, when out of us, there's only a trace amount of nicotine in the vapor. And that's all you get... the amount we exhale because there's no permanent vapor going out of the e-cig. It only heats up when we pull on it.

Can only see someone being ultra irritated by the nicotine. Like I said before, Propylene Glycol is used in asthma inhalers. Also, there's 0 Nicotine liquids. Those are only the PG and the flavor.

The anti-social part... are we talking about people that use e-cigs or analogs just to annoy?

Not offended in the least, I'm just quite terse when in a discussion and especially if it's something I'm passionate about.
    I just don't like people coming and saying stuff born out of not knowing the whole picture. It's nothing personal against you and it applies to any subject I may be discussing.

Yes, I saw... I didn't notice you were implying that you were aware a lot of people think it's the nicotine that provokes cancer. My apologies on that.

Edit:
    In this case, the only thing that could linger is the trace amount of nicotine in the vapor and that's if the person isn't using a 0 nicotine liquid.

Like I said, there's no permanent vapor going out of the e-cig (like on an analog that is perma burning) and that's what has the most nicotine in it. Once we inhale it, the nicotine is absorbed into our lungs and is basically gone.

Did you lower the nicotine amount over time or just stopped altogether after a while? Some people lower the nicotine amount over time until they're left with the 0 nicotine liquid.

#12 Aussir, Oct 29, 2013
  13. Aquilo

For e-cigs anyone who exhales too quickly; doesn't inhale deeply enough (to give the vapor the time, speed and lung surface to condense and be absorbed); uses the e-cigs in an enclosed space and true anti-social people who use them to annoy. And anyone who smokes in a public place near people with a normal cigarette.

In a perfect world no-one would be allowed to poison our air, factories, cars and smokers alike. But at least there are laws to stop the worst examples, so a ban on public smoking would be a good idea in my opinion. (Even if the actual health risks are low in case of e-cigs)

14. Convoy

Nicotine is still addictive and the notion that vaping is "Safe" as in becoming addicted to something is "Safe" still does not sit well in my mind.

I used to smoke, was addicted to a few things and I quit. It was some of the worst most agonizing things that I ever had to go though and I certainly understand why people don't want to quit and how easy it is to get addicted but that doesn't mean I condone the activity.

Improper use of batteries in e-cigs can still be a major problem. If your rearing for your fix and you just toss some random LiCO's or primary cells in there and they malfunction/reverse charge they can cause some pretty significant injury. You can't expect in a mass market for everyone to understand battery composition, function and safety when people get addicted.

The "Vape trail" can be quite annoying as well. I had a bunch of people walking around vaping though crowds a few weeks ago and it was a bit irritating when it was just blown into your face.

My great-grandfather didn't die of black lung, cancer, heart conditions (All which he had to some degree); He died of stress on his heart from smoking. Yes this may be more controllable, but the addiction and the lack of regulation makes this just not sit well in my mind.

I would never say outright ban it (This is America, or at least where I am; you should have that choice) however I'm not going to promote it, that's up to individuals.

IF you would happen to have questions on lithium based cells, safety and regulations I'd gladly tell you that (For safety) but I'm not going to vape. I just can't; there are things that each person are comfortable with and I'm not going to define that for every person.

15. Aussir

I'm currently living with my SO at my in-laws until we get an apartment and her mother smokes worse than a chimney.
    She lights one cig on the other... it's a nightmare. We're both constantly sneezing, wheezing, our eyes are irritated, our throats are irritated and we stink to hell because there's a perma cloud of smoke in the house and it sticks to our clothes.

After 3 years in a smoke free environment, we became completely intolerant to tobacco smoke... so yes, I can see where you're coming from. But we also noticed that e-cig vapor doesn't get to us at all.

Living in a house with a vapper, unless the vapper has very strange smell/flavor choices (like tobacco, pizza, bacon, whiskey and so on... I kid you not, those exist and they stink) is basically the same as living with a non-smoker.

When her parents visited us in our former house her mother was forced to go outside to smoke because we didn't want the smoke in the house.

I can also tell you that after I swapped to e-cigs, I went through the same process that smoking quitter go through. I spent a couple of months coughing up the crap in my lungs and my skin cleared. So... it doesn't do the same as tobacco.

I guess until more people experience being/living with a vapper, they won't understand that comparing smoking to vapping is like comparing night and day.

16. kem

kem

By the way, not all e-liquids are propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin is very common as well and many brands are a mixture of both. Not that it matters.

I have an e-cigarette. I used to use it as an alternative to 'analog' cigarettes (I like that term) and I used liquids with a very high nicotine content, 1.8%. Now I'm trying to lower the amount and eventually quit altogether. It's fun and nicotine is rather relaxing in moderation, but in the end it's a waste of money just like tobacco.

I think it's better than tobacco in almost every way except ease of use. You can just light a cigarette but with e-cigs you need to fill your tanks, replace your atomizers/cartomizers and charge the battery. It's not much fun vaping when your carto breaks (in other words start producing an unpleasant flavor) and you don't have other ones with you.

17. Aussir

Usually people don't start on e-cigs to get addicted. They start on them to get rid of the addiction or to get rid of the cancer-stick.

There are 0 (ZERO) nicotine liquids out there and I know plenty of people that use them in social situations instead of pulling the analog and I know a couple that use those liquids because they have hand-to-mouth tick.

No one is condoning people getting addicted to nicotine.

That's people's responsibility to make sure their e-cig is safe, especially the modders. However, modders usually have a deep understanding of how the e-cig works.
    For the average joe, grabbing the pre-mades like the Joytech should be more than enough.

This goes into modder area and not everyone mods. If people try to mod without knowing how batteries work, they have it coming.

Do I want to imagine all the different smells together? That's one major issue I find with e-cigs: what happens when a few dozens of different smells bundle together?

They can't be sold to anyone below 18 years old, contrary to popular belief. However, just like analogs, kids will find a way to get to them.

You know the iphones blowing up because people use cheap knock-off batteries and/or chargers? Same thing will happen to an e-cig unless the person knows what they're doing when they change the voltage and so on.

They mess up, they have it coming.

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2013 at 09:36 PM ----------

My bad, I didn't mention VG and it actually does matter. Some people can't take the PG too well and go to VG and vice-versa, others mix until they find a % that gives a nice throat hit and good vapor.

I like a mix of both and one of my favorites is Halo.

1.8%... ouch... I think I'd go nuts if I hit that %. I stay on 0.9% or lower.

I only use tank models, in this case the Joytech E-Roll. It comes with a PCC that is no bigger than a smartphone (a tiny one at that) and I only have to charge the PCC once every 3 days or so. It recharges my batteries at least 10-12 times before it goes off.

I also always carry the extra battery in the PCC and 1ml (one tank) lasts me the whole day.

Cartomizers are a pain and tend to leak all over the place... bleh... :/

#17 Aussir, Oct 29, 2013
  18. justjade

I don't like E-cigs. I don't like them because they don't smell or taste like tobacco. I just like smoking tobacco. I have to have the "real thing" as it were. If I want to quit, I'll find a way to quit, but chances are it won't be with an E-cig. What I would need to do is break the habit. Smoking something else might help me quit smoking cigarettes, but that would probably just end up being my next vice.

19. Data

Data Guest

I think it's a better idea then smoking actual cigs. The only problem I have is the inconsistency in labeling (pretty minor issue). What a percentage of one vial is may not be the same as another even though they're marked as being the same.

As long as the people are being polite and aiming their exhaust smoke AWAY from my face, I don't have any issues.

My dad has smoked at least a pack a day since the day I was born. I love the smell of tobacco and the smell of the stale smoke that lingers on clothes after a cig. I just love it. It reminds me of him and my childhood.

Second hand smoke maybe 1 time a month isn't going to kill anyone. I rarely walk by people smoking anymore. My friends ask to be polite, but I just stand up wind and the problem's solved.

I find pot smoke much more offensive then tobacco smoke, since it STINKS and is accrid and bitter.

There is one thing you can't deny though, and that is that both nicotine and caffeine are POISONS used by the plant to kill insects. Both aren't natural in brain chemistry and both are very addictive. It's best not to use either. I don't drink caffeine if I can help it. I buy decaffeinated beverages.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I think it's time to fight the ignorance in the blatantly pro-e-cigarettes slant to this thread.

Please provide a citation for this "fact." There's voluminous evidence, going back about 60 years, to the contrary, and an even larger amount of anecdotal evidence (increase in lung cancer with tobacco use in areas where there's no air pollution, for example) to quash that argument. You sound a little bit like an apologist for the e-cigarette makers.

Huh? We ban crystal meth, which is a stimulant, but we don't ban Ritalin, which is a prescription stimulant used for ADD management. This argument makes no sense. Additionally, nicotine has been shown in numerous clinical tests, both animal and human, to be more addictive than heroin, and almost as difficult to quit.

I'm sorry, but this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison at all, because the chemistry is completely different. Where are you getting this crap?

Are e-cigarettes better than analogs in terms of safety, toxins, pollutants, secondhand smoke? Sure. And certainly they lower the risks of cancer over their "natural" brethren. But unlike cigarettes, they are essentially an unregulated way of administering a highly addictive drug (nicotine) which has a lot of very negative effects on the body, and they do, in fact, sucker a lot of young people who mistakenly believe that they aren't at risk of addiction.

The majority of sales of e-cigarette "vapors" are nicotine-infused ones, and we are essentially creating a new generation of addicts to a less harmful but nonetheless unhealthy product that exists essentially only to deliver an addictive drug.

In an ideal world, we'd keep cigarettes legal, but tax them so highly that it would be an effective discouragement to smoke... and then offer the nicotine-based e-cigarette product only as a prescription alternative for people wanting to quit. But unfortunately, our political system is so corrupt that there's little interest in adequately educating people about these products, or taxing and controlling them to minimize their addictive grip on the populus.