1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When two guys or girls marry who takes on whose surname ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Just wondering if there was a convention for this. I guess they could both go double barrel

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm going to keep my name if I get married. Double-barreled names seem to be pretty common, but I'm pretty sure most keep their own names.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I kinda like this option because if my surname sucks i can just take hers or if i think her sounds better i just take it . Or if she likes mine she can just take mine .

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes they may adopt a new shared last name.

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think a lot of people keep their last name. My mom has never changed her last name. Ironically my dad went double barrel when he got remarried.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, hyphenating the names is something I've seen a lot. Probably would do that myself, unless my first name sounded better with his/her last name.

7. Gen

Gen

I naturally have two last names and I've grown fond of having the hyphen set up. I would happily drop my fathers when I get married, he can take my other, and I can take his.

8. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's all personal preference and whatever the couple decides. For me, I would probably take his last name since I don't really care for mine. Unless his was something awful then he's getting mine, lol. :grin:

9. Zac

Zac

*shrugs*
    Though I'd want him to take mine

10. DMark69

We choose to keep our last names when we got married. I do remember though that we had the option of changing them any way we wanted, including making up a completely new name.

11. Data

Data Guest

I'd want to keep mine.

My last name dies with me. I was supposed to have kids and pass it on. That really made me feel guilty/sad when I was trying to accept myself. SO if I get married I'd want to keep mine and pass it on to any adopted kids I may find myself with. :slight_smile: Plus, if you guys knew my last name you'd see why I'd want to keep it. ;D

12. Tim

Tim

Just like with opposite-sex couples, either one can take the other's surname. I know a few guys who took their wife's name.

They can also hyphenate it like opposite-sex couples and even mesh their names together, again, like opposite-sex couples. (For instance if a Wilkerson and Williams gets married they can become Williamson.) Completely legal to do so too. In fact, one of my lesbian friends meshed her last name with her wife's when they got married.

Personally for me, it probably would depend on what his last name is. XD I'd be willing to take his (unless that sounds weird with my first name xD) and wouldn't mind if he took mine. I wouldn't hyphenate though. I would consider meshing as well though.

Honestly the only issue I'd have with a new last name is my signature. It took me years to finally get one I didn't mind. xD But like I said if I didn't mind his last name I'd gladly take it if he wanted, or vice versa. Or mesh. xD

But I don't think I'd be okay with us both keeping our last names though... just seems less... together.

#12 Tim, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  13. Hexagon

Whoever wants to.

Personally, I'd want to take my partner's name, be they male or female. If they don't like their surname either, then fuck it, we can find a new one.

14. Aussir

Keeping mine and so is she. There's this law here about not having more than one last name or something like that and I already have 2 surnames from birth...

15. treeofleaves

HYPHENATE....except if your already hyphenated like me......AWKWARDDDDDDdddd

16. Lucky Oshawott

I'm pretty sure it's hyphenated. E.g. First-Second. ?

17. Niko

I've always had a problem with the thought of losing/changing my last name for some reason. So for me I'd either hyphanate it or hope that he was okay with having mine, or he can keep his last name too.

18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I think the tradition of taking someone else's surname upon marriage is dumb, and probably rooted in the idea of marriage as an economic transaction and women as property, so personally, I want nothing to do with it.

19. DrkRayne

We're changing to a hyphenated version of our last names. "MyLastName-HerLastName" so that we will have the exact same last name and our children will also.

I read an article that stated gay women were more likely to change last names upon marriage than gay men. Something about women were expected to do so traditionally and men have never had to think about it before etc.

20. yidnah87

Idk if I'll ever get married, and idk if I would marry a man, but I could see us most likely keeping our current names. Hyphenating isn't a bad idea though, and if it sounds good stringing the two together via hyphen, then cool. In a same-sex relationship, one person taking on the other's last name could give people ideas about who the 'man' and the 'woman' are in the relationship, so that's probably why a lot of these couples avoid doing that.

If I married a woman, I would let her decide what to do with her name. I would likely leave mine as is.