1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing 'Friends' ?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JustMe2602, Oct 30, 2013.

1. JustMe2602

I'm thinking about coming out on Facebook through a status update or something and I was wondering about this the other day :

Did you lose (many) friends on Facebook (or other social media sites) when you came out of the closet online?

Not that I really care if I do.. But has it happened to you?

#1 JustMe2602, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Thursby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If someone doesn't want to be your friend just because you are gay then they aren't worth it and you're better off without them.

3. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most facebook rapes are like "I'M GAY THIS IS ME THIS IS NOT A FB RAPE I LIKE GUYS" so people won't even take it seriously.

4. I came out personally to friends. I didn't lose any fb friends because they pretty much accepted it WAY before I came out to them.

5. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Facebook friends and real friends are two different things. Facebook friends is a number. Friends are people. And like Thursby said, friends who won't accept you for who you are aren't real friends.
    My advice would be to come out to a close friend in person and just let the gossip flow through the school. It's actually much more efficient than facebook. Seriously, tell one person, in 24 hours, everyone will know.

6. Naren

You've hit the nail on the head there. I've lost 3 friends since I started coming out to people, and only one of them I'm sure was unrelated to the coming out.

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really use any social networking sites, but if I did I don't think I would come out over Facebook of all places. FB is a very untrustworthy site, and even the founder called his users morons for trusting him with their information.

If I were to come out on FB...anyone at anytime could learn stuff about be that I wouldn't entrust with a lot of people I know irl, let alone strangers on the internet. Now I could take pre-cautions by making my account private, but that stuff still ends up getting leaked somehow. So coming out on FB is a bad idea.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haven't lost any friends that I know about. And if I did I haven't noticed because they weren't close to me anyways.

9. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I can't help but feel that facebook is geared towards neurotic people.

People have "defriended" me because I didn't "like" their status. Did it matter that I was very busy that day preparing for a big move? No, apparently not. I had to be following it actively to be a good friend.

You're free to post only things which are popular, and hated for being different. Without sounding crass...isn't that exactly the problem the LGBT community faces? I see no difference.
    I don't see the point in religiously 'liking' statuses such as, "going for icecream. Soooo nice. lol."

For me it has no correlation with reality. The reality where you eat, sleep, defecate and generally actually exist.

I treat FB as an online address book now. I link friends I have from all over the world so I don't lose their contact details.

I am happier for it :slight_smile: