1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom is home and we went Christmas shopping today.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Alexander69

As the title says we wet Christmas shopping.... Not for presents but every year we throw massive Christmas parties with a different theme each year so we were looking for ideas for this years theme, yes yes I know it's Halloween but this year we are NOT throwing a party last year we didn't either but I took my dog to a costume party at my moms friends home it's a huge deal but this year nope I refuse to do anything I just don't want to and I'm actually fine with that.

But Christmas how ever, we have to get our party planner to start getting the invitations out, so this year I told my mom we should do a masquerade ball! I mean I know it's not the typical Christmas theme but I think it would be amazing, we would do silver and gold themes I think we should do violin music like classical music, have a Santa for certain like every year for the children, I'm not sure on the food theme yet ill ask the party planner what she thinks based on what I've come up with, I'm sort of thinking I guess a "Venetian" them so what kind of food? Meh she can figure that out. I want ice sculptures, lots of baked goods many cakes I want everything silver and gold and trees to all be white, if there isn't any snow then snow makers I'm excited that its my choice of the party I get the end decision! Haha!

Have a bar tender, I want someone to greet each guest hold the doors. I wonder if I can get real deers a petting zoo for the children OMG we've never done that before oooo that would be awesome!

I'm totally open for criticism on my idea and I'm open for any other ideas! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :smilewave

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alexander, it would be hard for any of us to give advice, as we don't really know the full situation and the reasons for the party. One thing I am pretty certain of is that most of your posts are "look at how rich I am".

3. Alexander69

The reason is just because we throw massive parties..... And I don't think I said "look how rich I am" at all I'm asking for ideas here, like wtf every thing I post seems to cause controversy I get that I talk about money a lot but here I haven't mentioned money at all......... So I'm a bit confused where this I coming from.

4. leer

dont think Alexandra's personal circumstances has anything to do with this post TBH more to do with the fact that he's getting time to spend time with his mum he dont do that allot due to work commitments .
    have to admit Alexandra I find dressing up pets for party's pretty insane .

5. Alexander69

Thank you I really was just asking for ideas...... And noooooo my dogs look sooooo cute in their costumes haha!

6. SilentCreatures

I like how creative you are - that's something you should tap into :slight_smile:

7. leer

ideas are good but maybe a zoo is a little extravagant or too flamboyant for you .

8. Data

Data Guest

Even though reindeer (caribou) exist, they're pretty wild. I don't know if you could do a petting zoo type thing with them. They'd probably freak out and want to bolt.

Alex, I for one don't fault you for the posts you make or the things you mention in them. What is curious is how you mention things in casual conversation that are just so unheard of for middle class people. I read your post about a petting zoo and I smile and wonder who in the world is able to get a petting zoo fir their own party! Others read it and feel jealousy or misplaced anger. The fact is, that's your life. That's your normal. Nobody can fault you for that, or at least I can't. One thing that makes me say that is how you post about missing your family and feeling lonely. They say "the best things in life are free" and I believe it. The grass is always greener until you get over to the other side, then you realize it's fertilized with manure. You have unhappy rich people and you have unhappy poor people. It's the human way to find faults in whatever situation you're in. Alright, so I'm tired and ranting. Moving on.

Anyway, a few things:

This isn't a "Christmas party" per se, but it will be between now and Christmas?

This will be family and friends? Close friends or like business contacts?

Are you wanting to incorporate holiday themes as well as the Venetian theme?

Whatever the outcome, I really hope you get to see your friend/ QTpie crush who makes you so happy. :grin: Get to hang out with him and enjoy the relaxed environment of a holiday party!

9. Alexander69

Thank you so much, reading that actually made me happy and smile and that mean a lot to me, that you understand me. :slight_smile: and it will be family, friends their famalies, business contacts and their families and probably some neighbors as well. I want to incorporate Christmas with this masquerade theme I think that will be so unique I mean I've been to masquerade parties before but not with a Christmas theme with it, I'm so excited I have a meeting with my party planet today so I'm so excited yet nervous because I want to hear what she says about my idea, I just want to do something different from what the "norm" is around Christmas everyone does the same theme the "winter wonderland" theme and that's great but it gets old.

I'm also nervous because what if people don't like the theme? Usually I help a bit with the idea but its usually my mother and the party planner not me. My mother has given me the budget which should certainly suffice this theme.

I guess this sounds a little extreme to people but parties are a very social event and its good for meeting people even people you rarely talk to you never know if you may have buisness with them in the future. Plus you need to get invites out ASAP for a party so that the guests can plan a head and not attend another party. We are actually planing this party late.

10. El Extranjero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think a masquerade party and all of the opulence that comes with it would be really great for New Years, I'm not really sure about that theme for Christmas though. I think at Christmas people want a bit less fuss, something a little more informal, an excuse to get out their hideous Christmas jumpers (sweaters) and drink some mulled wine. I went to a tree-trimming party 2 years ago, where everybody comes with an ornament to place on your tree (it can be generic or personal). It sounds crap but it turned out to be really enjoyable.
    Your idea is good though (maybe lose the petting zoo :lol:slight_smile: Also, instead of having violinists, I would probably suggest going with a piano, it would lend itself much better to Christmas music and creates a slightly nicer ambiance.

11. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it sounds great, especially the masquerade part. The only thing I think you should change is instead of just playing classical music, play classical music with a Christmas theme, and maybe have the servants wear more Christmas themed clothing, like red formal suits with white gloves and Santa hats but you can experiment with your own ideas for costumes as well. Also consider having the ice sculpture Christmas themed. By doing all of that, it should be perfect. Good luck. :thumbsup:

12. Alexander69

So had the meeting with my party planer she liked my idea an the creativeness but she said she is worried about the over all theme of it. I explained how its silver and gold I want lots of trees lots of snow and everything and she said she can work with it but she wants to put her own spin on it with the little touches and the food. So I told her to pass the ideas by me first. But I'm definitely going with the Masquerade theme! Yay!

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2013 at 12:50 PM ----------

And yes I told her we need a piano as well thank you for that! El extranjero

13. lukeluvznicki13

I love your ideas!
    Its interesting how families celebrate Christmas in so many different but fantastical ways :grin:

14. Data

Data Guest

Yay! I'm glad she liked your idea! Since she does this for a job, I'd seriously give all ideas that she comes up with a hard thought. She's seen what works and what doesn't. Don't feel like she's shooting you down.

I absolutely understand you. I'm not in the same situation as you, but I can close my eyes and imagine what it would be like if I was in your situation.

I do love the piano. It's a beautiful instrument. I learned how to touch-type because I love how a piano player's hands flow so smoothly.

I'm sure it'll be a great party!

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would be nice to cook a nice meal together instead and have some time to be with your family, and just talk.

I'd donate the money it would take to throw such an extravagant event to those who aren't going to get anything for Christmas.

Maybe go out as a group, and volunteer at a homeless shelter, instead. That way, you'll better appreciate what you have in life.

#15 HuskyPup, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  16. Ridiculous

Why don't you write down all your ideas, sum up how much it will cost, then half that amount and use that as your new budget and donate the other half to charity. You can tell each of your guests that you donated on their behalf.

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, that sounds better. I apologize if I came across as crabby. Sorry about that, I get carried away.

18. Data

Data Guest

If you work to earn your money, why should you give it away?

I'm not rich at ALL (I have $10 in my wallet and I'm making biodiesel in the backyard from old fryer oil so I don't have to but fuel) but I firmly believe that in life you have to work to get what you want, and if you do that you shouldn't feel bad about it and give your money away.

If a rich person WANTS to donate, fine. I just think if you work for it, you should spend it as you please.

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose. Though if you just have it given to you and go on and on about it, it becomes tiresome. And it's not a question of having to, but what might make the world a better, more peaceful place. Income inequality ultimately erodes social cohesion, taken too far.

#19 HuskyPup, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  20. Alexander69

I agree with both sides here, donating and not donating. I will definitely donate the money left over there will probably be like $2,000 left over from the original amount ( which I won't say the original amount ) but I agree with boy do aging sometimes people don't deserve the money, where I disagree is that everyone deserves something for Christmas no matter what especially children.