1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"School days are the best in your life"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I can't stand this quote, my life got x900 better after I left school :slight_smile:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. If school was the best time of your life, it's been all downhill since. The entire objective of school is to prepare you to have a BETTER life afterward. So it may feel nice to wax nostalgic and live vicariously through the younger people you say this to, but in essence, it means you failed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't either. Life is good when it's good. It's bad when it's bad. What they should say is "the best days of your life are when you don't understand how life works."

I feel that the next few years (the next two at college, then the next seven or so at university) will be the best for me, but it's not as if school is magically good.

There's a difference between school actually being the best years, and only remembering the good bits.

4. Ticklish Fish

I'll check back to this thread when i graduate college lol.

For me it might be "...when you DO understand..."

5. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not the best time in life but I did make some good memories and long lasting friendships in high school. If it was not for my friends I would have hated school with a passion.

6. GayNerd

So far, they are for me. But I'm only in Middle School, so High School could make it or break it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Rainbow Music

High school years and especially Trade school years was definitely not the best time of my life, however they were definitely some of the best memories and of course some of the worst. But I thrive not to live on the bad memories but the good ones which make me smile and keep me happy.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as my experience went, high school is better. They still sort of treat you like kids in middle school, but you get a bit more freedom and overall quality of everything another level up.

I will add that you are still not done developing in high school though. I'm not the same person I was in high school and I'm only removed from it for ~5 years now. So there is a lot more self-discovery to be done afterward.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    High school for me was fucking awful. One of the biggest reassurances I was ever given was one of my favourite teachers telling me that life ges so much better when you're out of that environment, and that the school-days-are-the-best-days saying doesn't apply to everyone.

10. biggayguy

There were some really good moments in school. There were also some really bad moments in school. You do get more freedom after school. Unfortunately you also get more responsibility. Adults remember fondly the lighter responsibility. We forget that we had much less freedom.

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

GAWD yes! Even college wasn't the best days of my life; my current days are even better. I have a full-time job that I love, I'm independent and off on my own, I have way more friends than I did at any time in college or high school, I have way more hobbies and interests that I'm passionate about--honestly, everything is better!

12. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In high school, I slacked off a lot because I understood the material that was presented to me during class time, so I never felt the need to study or do homework. I never really hung out with anyone outside of school because my anxiety ran pretty high. I was obsessed with my presentation and appearance, and it made me miserable. I self-harmed a lot. And I tried to pretend I was gendered "correctly".

Even in high school, I laughed at the idea that it was the "best time of my life".

13. Siarad

I was horrifically bullied throughout most of my school years and I still deal with the effects of that now. It frustrates me when people brush off bullying as 'just one of those things' when to my mind it equates to child abuse. I had an imperfect but loving, kind, supportive family growing up but still went to school everyday and listened to people telling me what a worthless person I was. If you heard of the same things going on in a child's home as happened to me at school, you'd call Social Services on a Child Protection issue but just because the abuse is done at school by other children it's renamed 'bullying' and downplayed, when as a child you spend as much time at school, if not more, than you do at home.

On a more positive note - some of the best days of my life were at university. Living by the sea, making good friends, impressing lecturers, getting involved with some great politicians of the old school and living by the sea (that one was so good it had to go in twice).

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    High school was one giant roller coaster, with good times and equally bad times. It was a crucial period, no doubt, and if things had gone slightly different, I could be in a much better place right now, but that's gone, so no use crying over now. Far too concerned with fitting in, rebelling against authority, and living for the moment, but at the same time, a lot more happened during those four years than anything since.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't bullying endemic in British schools? And I'm so sorry for you. I've never been seriously bullied (my school takes really good care of students), so I can only hope you never have to be subjected to something that awful again.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My life was hell in school. The only positive thing I got out of it were a handful of questionable friends and someone who'd become my best friend and partner.

17. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was a nobody in first 3 semesters of high school, but in contrast with everyone here I didn't exactly hate high school, and ggrew fond of it eventually.

I went to the best high school in the state, but it was filled with snobs, the kids were too rich to be interesting, and I have always abhorred the ways of the bourgeois, even at that age. Within 3 months of my freshman year I deliberately got myself expelled, and to much relief I went to a homebound program that I only had to attend for 1 hour, then they icnreased two hours in the second semester of the year.

In my freshman year and part of my sophomore year I was the kid who was alone at the lunch table, making me feel like such a loser. In gym class I got picked on by the soccer team, until I joined them. I'm kind of reclusive, so I didn't mind the loneliness, but at the same time not having friends left me vulnerable to the bullies who targeted people like me.

Well, my best friend ended up getting into the same high school, and he was a popular football player, who brought me into his click, so that afforded me numerous benefits I didn't have previously, namely protection from the bullies, access to talk to the prettiest girls in school, and a new status. But apparently the bullies didn't know that, and there were two red-headed twins that had a proclivity for picking on loners like me. One day in the cafeteria I was alone, waiting to meet with my friends, and I guess they didn't know that I wasn't a misfit anymore so they started to push me around. But one of my new friends came to the rescue, he grabbed one of the bullies and crushed his nose with a severe blow. It was so comical.

That was one of my favorite memories. I have mixed feelings about high school. All in all, I do miss my friends who were always so caring - they influenced me into being who I am today, and best of all they didn't the stuck up attitudes that were endemic to all the other cliques.

I also started to bully my ex bullies. Another former bully who had always tormented me after English class became the target of my rage. As I was walking to the bus stop with my friends, I saw him walking and his back was turned to me, so I grabbed a football and threw it at the back of his head, knocking him down. I instantly seized the opportunity and began pummeling him. Needless to say that felt good, and before anyone writes me off as a bully, part of why I did it is cause he was harassing some girls, so I did it to send him a message he needed to hear: not all men are ok with sexist aholes like him.

#17 AtheistWorld, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  18. KazTastic

School was terrible. Everyone at my high school turned on me by the time I finished, and I never fitted in with anyone in college or uni. As horrid as my dead end job can be, its still infinitely better than school. My two closest friends went to primary school with me though.

19. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People tend to only remember the good from their childhood. It's always sunny in your ealiest memories. So that why they may think this. But for me, high school was a living hell.

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Hahahaha nope. It could have been better than it was for me but whatever.