1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Requirements

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Nov 3, 2013.

1. person57

Hi, I have a question for you. What are the college requirements in your state/country? In my state, California, the requirements are four years of English, two years of social studies, two years of lab science, three years of math, two years of the same foreign language, one year of visual or performing arts.

---------- Post added 3rd Nov 2013 at 08:47 AM ----------

I only have to do two years of math, because I took Algebra 1 in 8th grade, which is a high school course, it pays being smart: D

---------- Post added 3rd Nov 2013 at 08:53 AM ----------

Oh, and also, one year of a college preparatory elective is required in California.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my university's website, the admissions criteria is:

"Admission to WMU is determined on an individual basis. Applications are reviewed using a combination of these key factors:

Grade point average (GPA)
    ACT or SAT score
    Number and types of college preparatory courses
    Trend of grades

We strongly recommend high school students take a rigorous college preparatory curriculum prior to enrolling at WMU. The base core includes:

4 years of English
    3 years of mathematics (through second year algebra)
    3 years of natural sciences (at least two years of biology, chemistry, or physics)
    3 years of social sciences
    2 years of the same foreign language

A solid core in these subjects will best prepare students for college level work and provide the broadest possible range of academic choices. Students graduating from a Michigan high school are expected to meet the requirements of the Michigan Merit Curriculum.

The average WMU freshman has a 3.3 cumulative high school GPA on a 4-point scale and a 22 ACT composite score. However, these numbers should not be viewed as minimum requirements. Students with scores both above and below these averages are considered for admission."

3. blueberrymuffin

It varies by the college. They will all have a list on their admissions web site what's required and what's recommended. My college requires 2 years of language and recommends 4 years. If you want to get into a top engineering school, you're gonna need 4 years of math including calc and even beyond that. If it's a community college, just finishing high school is enough. Then there's everything in between.

My advice is to just take classes and ECs that fit your interests and skills.

4. Gen

Gen

Do you have any idea what university you would like to get into to?

In regards to California, I've done my research on the subject.

5. Hexagon

It varies by the university here. Generally speaking, you have to get 3 A-levels at the grade required by the specific university or a certain number of points (which are allocated based on the grade you get in certain qualifications). Often, you have to take specific subjects.

It seems kind of confusing, but from what I've seen of it, I prefer the US system. There is WAY too much emphasis on exam results here. For instance, if you don't do well in some exams taken at 16 here, you're entire life is utterly screwed forever.

#5 Hexagon, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  6. person57

No, I'm not really sure what university I would like to get into yet. Though I'm planning to go to a uni where I can major in Psychology

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you probably hate it when people say this and I did too when I was your age, but, you're 14. Your interests will probably change before you get to college, and they might change while you're in college. 50%, exactly half of all college students change their major at least once while in school.

You may even decide to go to the best school for your major, and that may not even be in California. I go to Western Michigan because it has one of the best aviation programs in the world. Yeah, I already live here, but that was another bonus: in-state tuition.

We also have a great teaching program, and we were originally a teacher's college. One guy down the hall from me is from South Korea, and another is from Alaska. They came here for the same reason I did-we're one of the best schools for their major. Yeah, it's a party school and it's nicknamed Wastern for a reason, but every airline pilot I've talked to and told that I'm going to Western Michigan University says that puts you ahead in terms of getting hired in this field. Just another thought.

#7 AwesomGaytheist, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  8. person57

9. lukeluvznicki13

o em gee...just got lost there xD

10. person57

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The ACT and SAT are college-preparedness tests that you take your junior year (3rd year) of high school, and which one you take depends on the state you live in. I think they both test you on Math, sciences, English, and reading. A perfect score on the ACT is 36, and usually only 4 or 5 people get that a year. I got a 24, which alone got me into college. There's also an optional essay portion, which is scored from 2-12. I got a 7. The average-intelligence person's average score is a 17 overall.

The SAT is more of a reasoning test, and unlike the ACT, isn't multiple choice. It's mainly math and reading. A perfect score is 2400, and the lowest score you can get, just guessing and getting every question wrong is around 800. My state doesn't take the SAT, so I don't have a score there.

12. lukeluvznicki13

Hmm...interesting :slight_smile:!

13. person57

That is interesting, also, I have another question. I'm in Honors Physical Science and in Ninth Grade, so what kind of science do I take in Tenth grade?

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have no idea. I'm not a high school counselor.

15. person57

Oh okay, thanks anyways, and I believe that I have to take both the SAT and the ACT :slight_smile:

16. blueberrymuffin

Biology is common in 10th grade, but you've a whole year to decide that.

ACT is not accepted by some schools especially on east/west coast but i don't believe any college requires both. Some require SAT II. After 10th grade you'll figure all this out.

17. person57

18. Gen

Gen

Biology, then Chemistry, then Physics. Those are the common standards for the top schools public in California. Since you are currently taking Geometry, definitely take Algebra 2 next year and I would take Pre Cal. After that, its up to you. Getting into a good college as a Psych major is not going to require anything more, but the above and beyonds will be meaningful if you end up applying to more competitive colleges.

Public universities in California are largely split into three categories. UC-University of California, CSU- California State University, and CC-Community College. I listed them in order of rigor and overall esteem. California universities will take either the SAT or ACT; however, it is commonly believed that the SAT is a bit harder so a higher score looks a bit more appealing to admissions officers.

UC- 10 Campuses statewide

Minimum GPA: 3.0 (3.4 for non-residents)

Social Science 2 years
    English 4 years
    Mathematics 3 years (Through Pre Calculus)
    Laboratory science 2 years (3 Recommended- Through Physics )
    Language other than English 2 years (3 Highly Recommended)
    Visual and performing arts 1 year
    College-preparatory elective 1 year

Example SAT Averages
    UC Berkeley: 1820+ UCLA: 1760+ UC Davis: 1690+
    ACT Averages
    UC Berkeley: 27+ UCLA: 25+ UC Davis: 24+

CSU- 23 Campuses statewide

Minimum GPA: 2.0

Social Science 2 years
    English 4 years
    Mathematics 2-3 years (Through Algebra 2)
    Laboratory science 2 years (Through Chemistry)
    Language other than English 2 years
    Visual and performing arts 1 year
    College-preparatory elective 1 year

SAT/ACTs expectations varied based on which of these campuses you are applying to. Though none of them will require anything to strenuous.

Basic Psychology Majors can be done at any of these universities effectively, but there are many different types of studies in the overall umbrella of psychology that can require specific venues. You have plenty of time to sort through the specific though. Overall, the best Psychology department would likely be UC San Diego, simply because they have the largest, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't get one of equal value elsewhere.

And keep taking advantage of those honors classes. AP/IB classes obviously hold the most weight, but unless you genuinely feel up to taking them they can be a bit exhausting. Honors are a nice way to boost GPA and look a bit more competitive then those taking regular classes for only a little bit more work.

You shouldn't have to worry about SATs or ACTs until Junior year. I took the SAT twice to get a very competitive score, but that is only because I wanted to get into a very competitive school.

19. person57

Thanks for posting that :slight_smile:

20. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    AAA/AAB for Geography at UCL.