1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this called

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andstillimhere7, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So earlier in the year I feel like I have different personalities and I categorized each of them and named them, for example Ashton: shy, calm, guilty, self conscientious and another named John who is annoying, funny, outgoing and the list goes on. Each one is different and comes out whenever or triggered by a certain situation. This is not MPD I'm actually aware when they are out, but each one has a different thought, personality, desire what is this called?

2. Data

Data Guest

FoxFace!

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In most instances of DID (the current name for MPD), the primary "alter" is fully aware of most or all of the other alters and has a certain amount of control of them. So the fact that you're aware of them does not preclude what you're describing from being DID.

And typically with DID, each alter does in fact have a different personality, name, age, different likes/temperaments, and there are even cases on record where one alter has a serious illness (asthma and diabetes have been reported), and the others do not.

In some cases of DID, most of the alters are aware of each other and share information and consciousness, so a shift from one alter to another would not necessarily mean that you wouldn't know what's going on. But one of the traits of DID is that the alters come out based on triggering by a certain situation, emotion, circumstance, or presence (or absence) of specific people.

None of us here are in a position to be able to offer any sort of diagnosis based on a message board description, but based on what you are describing, I'm unaware of any psychological disorder other than DID that would match the symptoms you're describing.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I would encourage you to seek out somebody who can give you a proper diagnoses. As Chip mentioned none of us are in a position to offer you a diagnosis here on EC or provide you with much more insights on your symptoms, which you might want to have for your own reference.

5. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family